Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 08:20 PM

36 posts, read 39,774 times

Advertisements

Clark County - Well, my archeologist friend and I finally got out-and-about today. Our primary objective was to map another segment of the old Military Road west of Arkadelphia. We know from historical records that during the Indian Removal the Chickasaw, and some of the Choctaw, traveled this road to southeast Oklahoma. It was kinda sad to stand there looking at the washed out road bed through those pines and imagine those people plodding along, and they had already traveled so far and still had a long way to go.

After we complete our primary objective we always hit the back roads to see if we can find any old home sites so we can GPS their location, or flakes where the Indians made their stone tools. My friend is like a bird dog looking for the flakes. As we drive along, if the terrain is right and the rut isn't covered with grass/weeds, he will look out his side window and can see a flake in the gravel. And sure enough he did that today. He saw one flake so he stopped the truck and we got out, searched the road, and it was what we call a "workshop" where they had made their tools. We found several artifacts.

We also found that the timber company had sowed wild flower seeds all along both sides of those roads. They were beautiful yellow patches and did really shine in that bright sun. I took several photos and tried to attach one here but C-D said it was too big and could not download it. I'll try to resize it and post it later. Sor' 'bout dat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:19 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,400,038 times
Thanks for sharing that report, sounds like an enjoyable day!

I drove 4 hours to sit at a desk for 2 hours today.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
Thanks for sharing that report, sounds like an enjoyable day!

I drove 4 hours to sit at a desk for 2 hours today.

Four hours for two ! I remember those long ago days, but "never more"

Old 09-24-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosolitario View Post
Clark County - Well, my archeologist friend and I finally got out-and-about today. Our primary objective was to map another segment of the old Military Road west of Arkadelphia. We know from historical records that during the Indian Removal the Chickasaw, and some of the Choctaw, traveled this road to southeast Oklahoma. It was kinda sad to stand there looking at the washed out road bed through those pines and imagine those people plodding along, and they had already traveled so far and still had a long way to go.

After we complete our primary objective we always hit the back roads to see if we can find any old home sites so we can GPS their location, or flakes where the Indians made their stone tools. My friend is like a bird dog looking for the flakes. As we drive along, if the terrain is right and the rut isn't covered with grass/weeds, he will look out his side window and can see a flake in the gravel. And sure enough he did that today. He saw one flake so he stopped the truck and we got out, searched the road, and it was what we call a "workshop" where they had made their tools. We found several artifacts.

We also found that the timber company had sowed wild flower seeds all along both sides of those roads. They were beautiful yellow patches and did really shine in that bright sun. I took several photos and tried to attach one here but C-D said it was too big and could not download it. I'll try to resize it and post it later. Sor' 'bout dat

Here are photos of the flowers but when I resized them (required by C-D) they lost lots of detail but you can see what I was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0807.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0808.jpg  

Last edited by lobosolitario; 09-24-2016 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 09-30-2016, 11:57 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosolitario View Post
Here are photos of the flowers but when I resized them (required by C-D) they lost lots of detail but you can see what I was talking about.
I have those in my "semi-wild" flower bed out at the end of my driveway...some of my favorite wildflowers.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:07 PM

Help, from you hiker, backpacker, boon-dockers. Have any of you seen this tree blaze/mark before. I had an archeology contract with the Ouachita National Forest and found this mark on a tree on a narrow ridge top in Montgomery County. There was evidence of an old trail there so I suspected it was a trail marker but have never been able to ID it's meaning. From the overgrowth over the old scar I would guesstimate it was hacked at least in the 1960s, or perhaps before that. Any help/thoughts will be appreciated.

The photo is kinda dark, but it has two, side-by-side, vertical, hash marks.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0064.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0065.jpg  

Old 10-15-2016, 07:01 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,902,442 times
Nathan, Pike County - While searching for the Ione Cemetery (although we didn't know it's name at that time), we were directed to this cemetery near downtown Nathan. There were several interesting tombstones/monuments, but this group caught my eye, and imagination. The husbands tombstone is commercial made but his two wives tombstones are home made which brings up these questions since there are no dates on the wives markers. Did the wives die first and these home made markers are all the husband could afford, or did the husband die first and the wives home made markers were all the family could afford? I'm sure someone in the community knows but we did not try to find the answer.
Oh, the three markers are lined up north/south with the wives markers on the north side of the husband.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0537.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0539.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0542.jpg  

Old 10-15-2016, 08:25 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Nathan, Pike County - While searching for the Ione Cemetery (although we didn't know it's name at that time), we were directed to this cemetery near downtown Nathan. There were several interesting tombstones/monuments, but this group caught my eye, and imagination. The husbands tombstone is commercial made but his two wives tombstones are home made which brings up these questions since there are no dates on the wives markers. Did the wives die first and these home made markers are all the husband could afford, or did the husband die first and the wives home made markers were all the family could afford? I'm sure someone in the community knows but we did not try to find the answer.
Oh, the three markers are lined up north/south with the wives markers on the north side of the husband.
Hmmm, this is interesting. So it's two different homemade markers for the wives but one would've had to have been an x wife or she died before him, making him a widow then he remarried. I wouldn't think they would bury an x wife and label her marker as his wife if they were divorced so I'm gonna guess the first wife died before him, then he remarried.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:33 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,902,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Hmmm, this is interesting. So it's two different homemade markers for the wives but one would've had to have been an x wife or she died before him, making him a widow then he remarried. I wouldn't think they would bury an x wife and label her marker as his wife if they were divorced so I'm gonna guess the first wife died before him, then he remarried.

I agree

Old 10-17-2016, 09:23 AM

664 posts, read 2,093,530 times
Or maybe he was a brave man and just had two wives? If so, he probably died first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas