Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:22 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
No, no part in the world prefers dark skin (on women). Not a single place like that has been found.
Of course, too pale skin (albino) can be scary too, because it looks sick. But that is not what we talk about. We are talking about skin color in the normal range of a population.

Doll tests were popular a while ago but now (I heard) it is strictly constrained. The reason why children prefer dolls with light skin can be complex, including social influences. The bottom line is it occurs very early.

Evo and Proud: The use and abuse of doll tests
Normal range varies by region. You assume that within that normal range, all cultures will prefer women who have skin on the lighter side. But again, that is not the case (at least in modern times) in countries where the majority of the population descends from Europeans. You seem to be implying that Chinese skin preferences are universal when they are obviously not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 10:39 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Normal range varies by region. You assume that within that normal range, all cultures will prefer women who have skin on the lighter side. But again, that is not the case (at least in modern times) in countries where the majority of the population descends from Europeans. You seem to be implying that Chinese skin preferences are universal when they are obviously not.
In Europe, people prefer blond women with light features too.
Not everyone does so but it is the tradition.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:23 PM

9 posts, read 13,608 times
It's an Asian thing, we value large double lid eyes, taller noses and lighter complexions etc. I actually have all of that values being full blooded Asian. Many other Asian would even think I'm mixed.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:50 PM

109 posts, read 91,084 times
I don't think so. Trully, women in some Asia countries such as Korea, China, Vietnam like to have light skin, they spend lot of money for whitening cosmetic, spa

Old 11-02-2015, 02:41 AM

155 posts, read 148,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually, it's the same with white/caucasian and paying money to sit in a tanning salon.

It doesn't seem odd to us, as it's our culture, but it really is an odd and strange thing to do to yourself when you think about it.
Both trying to be browner when you're white and whiter when you are darker is quite silly. in the first case you make yourself vulnerable to cancer and skin damage and in the second who knows what the long term effects of skin lighteners will be.

Your skin color doesn't define you any more than your hair color or your height ... so just accept what you look like and take care of what you have.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:55 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In Vietnam I noticed most women wear long white gloves while on their motor bikes to keep their arms from getting tan.
Protecting your skin is one thing but deliberately trying to get your skin whiter is harmful. I have 3 Asian daughters and I have them wear protection when outside but I would never tell them they should be whiter. Cultural differences I know but I have to admit, they get really tan in the summer even with protection and they are beautiful.

Latest trend sweeping China: Lighter skin - CBS News
I don't really think this is a new trend at all. When I was in China in 2011 I saw facekinis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facekini) in the beach/resort town of Qingdao that protect women's skin from the sun and keep their skin lighter.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:23 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,124,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't really think this is a new trend at all. When I was in China in 2011 I saw facekinis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facekini) in the beach/resort town of Qingdao that protect women's skin from the sun and keep their skin lighter.
Not new. I lived in the Philippines 20 years ago and even back then they were selling soap that was supposed to make skin whiter. It also goes on in Korea and Vietnam as well. Probably other places too. What I'm seeing more and more now is more Asian women are concerned with skin cancer, skin damage, and premature wrinkling/aging from the sun so they cover up a lot more now then they did years ago. Not necessarily to be more white, but to protect their skin from sun damage.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:56 PM

645 posts, read 835,000 times
I was reading the other day China now has "etiquette" classes now. Their president was not impressed how the their people behave when they travel outside their country.

These classes can cost up to 1700 bucks. Some classes upto 4000.

Can't find the link. Will post it if I can find it.

It's a fad anything east of Afghanistan. India's skin whitening business is worth $180M and growing at a rate of 10-15% annually. The numbers are old. By now probably has reached 250M.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Chinese Americans tend to be darker than their counterparts in China. This is particularly true for those in California.
May also depend on where from the China their ancestry is from. I assume northern Chinese tend to be lighter than those from southern provinces, on average?

Old 11-06-2015, 08:56 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
May also depend on where from the China their ancestry is from. I assume northern Chinese tend to be lighter than those from southern provinces, on average?
Tibetans are the darkest.
The lightest skin is found along Yangtze river, and in northeast China.
People in the north are slightly darker than people in those places, and those in the very south are the darkest.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia