Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 09:58 AM

153 posts, read 110,577 times

Advertisements

Speaking as a person who has lived in Japan for years, speak Japanese, and are in the process of getting citizenship; Japan has a big superiority complex over other Asian countries. I love this country but it is true, and the attitudes are not healthy.

For a long time, Japan was by far the strongest and most modern East Asian nation, and the only colonizing force that wasn't European. From this perspective, they deemed themselves "above" or "different to" the other more developing countries like Korea, Taiwan, and particularly China. Even today, many of my friends see pictures of Cambodian or Vietnamese street food stalls and say things like, "Wow, looks so Asia!"

However, as Japan has always thought of itself as a country up there in ranks with Western nations, this has brought about a sense of cultural cringe as well. Japanese constantly scramble to compare themselves to France, Britain, and the US, in a very "Don't forget about me guys!" way. Being European is still very much an attractive thing in Japan, and while foreign residents like me are only 2-3% of the population, if you switch on your TV, you will see a much larger chunk of half or full foreign blooded people. Sadly, I need to point out here that they are usually never Chinese, Filipino, or other Asian immigrants, even though these countries are the biggest sources of immigrants, but they are not deemed as "attractive". Most other Asian nations are not held to the same standard as Japan thinks of itself, but things seem to be changing with young people as a large amount of young Japanese are big into K-Pop, Korean fashion and soap dramas, and the like, and Taiwanese bubble tea shops.

Unlike (most) younger people who have neutral or positive opinions of Korea and Taiwan, older Japanese people (and the official stance of the government) are usually not big fans of Koreans, to the point where black vans with mega speakers occasionally drive around yelling all sorts of racist nonsense over the microphone and tons of conspiracy theories abound about Koreans who are of course the source of every crime under the sun in Japan (this is sarcasm).

However, the only group that I would say most Japanese dislike regardless of age group is Chinese, but I'm not sure if this relationship goes both ways. Many Japanese cities have a large amount of Chinese tourists who come and buy a large amount of baby powder and other goods and don't always respect the local guidelines, to the point where a new word has been made solely for this behaviour. I have heard many Japanese be casually racist about Chinese people and not many people seem to care about these remarks. Makes me worry about a conflict between highly developing China and aging Japan in the future, it will not go well for Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 08:14 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,982 times
The superiority complex is fading as Japanese are not becoming richer when South Korea and China were in the past decades. Having an European look is regarded as either attractive or exotic in most of Asia. Asian look is not special in Japan of course. However, in recent years, as they know more, Japanese start to praise some famous and ordinary good looking people in Korea, Mainland China and Taiwan.

The Japanese dislike of Chinese is nowhere like all racism in western countries or the anti mainland Chinese groups and riots in Taiwan, HK and some southeast Asian countries. Some Japanese have Chinese and Korean friends, this would be unusual back in the first half of the last century. Japanese don't laugh at other asians' looks and mask wearing like western cultures.

Japan had the gut and attacked the US. Now, Okinawa is the most anti US prefecture of Japan, mainland Japanese are quieter with less anti us complains. Easy to understand as Japan relies heavily on the US and Mainland Japanese hide their feelings more than other Asian people.

And about the island disputes, protests or opposition from the Japanese are less visible and angry than the Koreans and Chinese. The Japanese think Taiwanese like them, mostly true, but the Tsai gov in Taipei also stressed the dispute islands belong to the "Republic of China", not Japan. Sovereignty is more important than friendship.

Last edited by Tomboy-; 07-13-2020 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-13-2020, 08:18 AM

225 posts, read 191,622 times
I wonder how Muslim Indonesians and Catholic Filipinos generally interact. They have many similarities but their religious backgrounds are in stark contrast.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:26 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,982 times
They are not in East Asia. In Southeast Asia instead.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
They are not in East Asia. In Southeast Asia instead.
Thanks, I missed that!

Old 07-13-2020, 06:22 PM

54 posts, read 30,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
The superiority complex is fading as Japanese are not becoming richer when South Korea and China were in the past decades. Having an European look is regarded as either attractive or exotic in most of Asia. Asian look is not special in Japan of course. However, in recent years, as they know more, Japanese start to praise some famous and ordinary good looking people in Korea, Mainland China and Taiwan.

The Japanese dislike of Chinese is nowhere like all racism in western countries or the anti mainland Chinese groups and riots in Taiwan, HK and some southeast Asian countries. Some Japanese have Chinese and Korean friends, this would be unusual back in the first half of the last century. Japanese don't laugh at other asians' looks and mask wearing like western cultures.

Japan had the gut and attacked the US. Now, Okinawa is the most anti US prefecture of Japan, mainland Japanese are quieter with less anti us complains. Easy to understand as Japan relies heavily on the US and Mainland Japanese hide their feelings more than other Asian people.

And about the island disputes, protests or opposition from the Japanese are less visible and angry than the Koreans and Chinese. The Japanese think Taiwanese like them, mostly true, but the Tsai gov in Taipei also stressed the dispute islands belong to the "Republic of China", not Japan. Sovereignty is more important than friendship.
European look is just different, many foreigners also find Southeast Asian exotic/different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao View Post
I wonder how Muslim Indonesians and Catholic Filipinos generally interact. They have many similarities but their religious backgrounds are in stark contrast.
From personal experience just like how generally humans interact with each other. Besides Indonesia's capital alone for example have 10% Christians, that's one million people. So people in the capital atleast are used to interacting with different religion.

But for the rurals, they're probably confused at first because they don't speak local languages.

But for people who live in islands near the border, then it might not be strange at all.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darien25 View Post
From personal experience just like how generally humans interact with each other. Besides Indonesia's capital alone for example have 10% Christians, that's one million people. So people in the capital atleast are used to interacting with different religion. But for the rurals, they're probably confused at first because they don't speak local languagesBut for people who live in islands near the border, then it might not be strange at all.
Thanks! I asked because in other parts of the world (Balkans, Caucasus/Russia, Africa), Christians and Muslims can be in conflict. From what I have read superficially, the Overseas Chinese (Han) living there, in Indonesia or in the Philippines, or in other Southeast Asian countries, have been a target of resentment, due to economic success. I wonder if it is true.

Last edited by Joao; 07-13-2020 at 09:22 PM..

Old 07-13-2020, 09:25 PM

54 posts, read 30,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao View Post
Thanks! I asked because in other parts of the world (Balkans, Caucasus/Russia, Africa), Christians and Muslims can be in conflict. From what I have read superficially, the Overseas Chinese (Han) living there, in Indonesia or in the Philippines, or in other Southeast Asian countries, have been a target of resentment, due to economic success.
Albania is what the Balkan would've looked like without the population exchange. Religious divide wasn't actually that bad under the Ottoman, in fact many rulers respected the Christian population (well they are the tax payers, because Jizya). Egypt and Syria used to be Christian majority up till 14-16th century, and there wasn't big religious clash until the 20th century.

Chinese economic success in the region can be attributed to Western Imperialist, because Chinese traders in 16th-17th century can bring more goods from China than Europeans. China under both Ming and Qing Dynasty practiced Haiji or Isolationist policy. Therefore only very few port can be visited by European or Japanese trader, before Opium War. Sometimes they impose complete ban on the Maritime sea trade route. While European trader want Tea and Porcelain, which at the time was making HUGE profit in Europe. Companies like VOC used Indonesian spices to buy more Chinese and Japanese goods. And they need smugglers and Chinese connection. While Spanish Empire have the most silver, and Chinese can bring them the goods. China want the silver (but still practice Haiji), therefore Manila became a stop point for the Galleon trade and Chinese opportunist gathered. As a result Chinese are associated with the economic activity in the region. They became the Opium den owner, brothel usurer, merchants... (not exactly the best reputation)

It also doesn't help that while money exist in both Indonesia and Philippines back then, its only on very FEW location. As majority of the population didn't really understand currency and are accustomed to bartering, before the 19th century (gradually that change of course). Chinese back then already have paper money and can adapt to growing European Capitalism. Therefore if they want to tax and gather duty of the colonial populace, they rely on the Chinese who eventually fill in the major ports like Batavia, Manila, or Surabaya. While Native rulers also became increasingly reliant on Chinese in their economy.

Clash with Chinese didn't happen only recently. Colonialist European co-exist with Chinese merchant as long as they do business, but when Chinese Kapitein try to gain more control on things like Sugar Plantation or labor... then they got butchered. Actually most Indonesian and Filipino don't hate the Chinese... but in Indonesia the government back then believed that "Communism" = China and suppress their culture. In 1998 people want chaos because economy sucks, and the Chinese became target (with also more Native Indonesian death).

Old 07-13-2020, 09:26 PM

^ Interesting information, thanks!

Old 07-16-2020, 12:22 AM

1,002 posts, read 908,086 times
I think Racism towards Southeast Asians is quite common amongst Koreans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia