Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
I don't know where to begin, but yes, there's animosity. Lots of history there. The short of it is, most Asians are historically suspicious of the Japanese because of their empire during WWII and their continued reluctance to admit wrongdoing. In more recent years, though, the attention is gradually shifting away from Japan and more toward a concern about China and what a Chinese superpower means to other Asian nations.

Just when Asians thought they wanted nothing more to do with the Americans, along come the Chinese. lol!
The countries should take a cue from South Korea and Taiwan and get their own houses in order first--that way they'll have less of an American or Chinese boogeyman to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 01:44 AM

360 posts, read 982,909 times
One of the latest on how the Japanese perceives the Gangnam Style craze:

Why Japan doesn?t give a Gangnam about PSY ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

It seems like they are not the only nation not jumping on the bandwagon.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
After reading the whole thread and having see what East Asia is like I feel that they Asians will put up with each other for economic reasons. They all want to form a kind of East Asian common market and their distrust of the West is far greater than their distrust of each other. If they are able to come together and use the raw materials of Se's cheap labor they will become an economic force to be reckoned with in the future.

I live in a building which is mostly Korean, Japanese and Chinese. They are closer with each other than they are with the few Westerners who live here and the reasons are pretty obvious.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Kpop is way bigger then Jpop even here in SF I hear regular American teenagers going crazy for Kpop groups... never seen it for Jpop. Jpop had its heyday, Kpop is bigger today globally then jpop ever was and who knows who's next. Does Kpop have a lasting chance? I have no clue but after seeing Psy become the #1 most watched toughness video, Girls generation on the lettermen and good morning America show alone with wondergirlz having their own show on nickelodeon there should be no doubt which is bigger. Japan is losing its luster as Korea, Taiwan, etc are catching up. Korea is supposed to overtake Japan in per capital income soon and Japan has been downgraded by major financial institutions to levels below Singapore hongkong Korea and Taiwan.
I wonder K-pop has just come at the right time, benefiting from sheer influence of internet media like youtube.etc. South Korea is a tech-savvy nation, and they probably market their pop music and other media well over the net. I mean Gangnam style largely became a phenomenon because of the internet. J-pop, which probably peaked slightly before youtube and social media became huge, did not benefit from this and was more of a niche thing in a west, despite the popularity of Japanese pop-culture. I think J-Pop has a bit more depth, variety, and the Japanese music seen is more eclectic and creative than Korea. I saw a documentary about Korea and a Korean artist lamented the popularity of K-pop as he felt ashamed that this was the 'Korea' that most foreigners were exposed to.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,434 times
i am Chinese, some Chinese hate Korean and Japanese especially Japanese very much. They call Korean Bangzi and Japanese Guizi. but me i don't hate Korean, but like korean culture which is more similiar to north china culture. For japanese, i have neutral attitude (not like, not dislike). But i hate Hong Kong people and Singaporean, their language cantonese sounds so XXX to me (i am from Shanghai). For korean and japanese views on chinese, i think they don't like china, they just think go to china is easy to make money, easy to get girl, cheap living. Chinese is always stereotyped as Communist, Poor and Rude. But China develop very fast currently. Visit modern china such as shanghai, beijing, they will get a better view on chinese, but they don't....

Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
They really have a low opinion of each other but the Koreans and the Chinese really hate the Japanese. The Chinese don't like the Koreans all that much and have a nickname for them 'bangzi' which was the word for the police truncheon that was used the the Japanese Imperial Military Police which was heavily recruited in Korea and used to police the Chinese civillian population. A lot of Chinese don't like the Vietnamese either. Basically, they are told who to hate by the media over there and on cue - they do! The Chinese can be whipped up into a frenzy of nationalistic hate in no time at all.
I have heard about this that they are taught who to hate.
However, I don't believe they hate Koreans because they like Korean music and telenovelas.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,999,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I have heard about this that they are taught who to hate.
However, I don't believe they hate Koreans because they like Korean music and telenovelas.
no...they really do hate koreans....they also hate every other asian ...though they love white people

日少女嗆殺光韓國人:à ¥ƒÂå—京大å±*殺@A Japanese girl shouts out for a massacre in Tsruhashi as in history - YouTube

they are just jealous of koreans.....lol

these are just the nationalists of course....

Last edited by ejay1; 04-24-2013 at 12:00 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 PM

159 posts, read 491,374 times
Quote:
They really have a low opinion of each other but the Koreans and the Chinese really hate the Japanese. The Chinese don't like the Koreans all that much and have a nickname for them 'bangzi' which was the word for the police truncheon that was used the the Japanese Imperial Military Police which was heavily recruited in Korea and used to police the Chinese civillian population. A lot of Chinese don't like the Vietnamese either. Basically, they are told who to hate by the media over there and on cue - they do! The Chinese can be whipped up into a frenzy of nationalistic hate in no time at all.
You are forgetting ONE word: SOME. Some Chinese don't like Koreans or Japanese. My mom is a Chinese immigrant, and I have a ton of relatives that are Chinese and I never heard them say anything negative about Japanese or Koreans. In fact, my mom and a few other relatives LOVE Japanese culture and have a few Japanese friends. (from Japan) I hope what you meant was that SOME Chinese don't like Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhhhh View Post
i am Chinese, some Chinese hate Korean and Japanese especially Japanese very much. They call Korean Bangzi and Japanese Guizi. but me i don't hate Korean, but like korean culture which is more similiar to north china culture. For japanese, i have neutral attitude (not like, not dislike). But i hate Hong Kong people and Singaporean, their language cantonese sounds so XXX to me (i am from Shanghai). For korean and japanese views on chinese, i think they don't like china, they just think go to china is easy to make money, easy to get girl, cheap living. Chinese is always stereotyped as Communist, Poor and Rude. But China develop very fast currently. Visit modern china such as shanghai, beijing, they will get a better view on chinese, but they don't....
What? Singapore's Chinese population is mostly Mandarin speaking, not Cantonese. I think you are mistaken. Also, Chinese people in China may generally be poor, but that is the total opposite for Chinese in Western countries. In the US, most Chinese are wealthy or middle class. Silicon Valley has a lot of Chinese people, even though mostly from Taiwan and Hong Kong but some from the mainland, that are very wealthy and work for the companies there. The guy who founded Yahoo! is from Taiwan.

Quote:
I imagine, I have never been to South East Asia to I cannot comment. But to my knowledge they all hate each
other - even Hong Kongers and Ethnic Chinese Singaporeans hate the Mainlanders. There is a lot of hate
going on over there.
Where is this "real hate" coming from? I don't understand. My cousin and aunt are from Shanghai and are living in Singapore and "hate" is the last thing they have ever encountered there. I mean, I don't know, maybe that ''hate'' is just from a small fraction of Singapore's population? Just like how a small fraction of Canadians hate Americans, I would assume.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:17 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
Silicon Valley has a lot of Chinese people, even though mostly from Taiwan and Hong Kong but some from the mainland, that are very wealthy and work for the companies there. The guy who founded Yahoo! is from Taiwan.
Oh,really? Most Chinese in Silicion Valley I know are from mainland China. The presence of Taiwanese is also significant, but few people from Hong Kong are working in software industry in the U.S.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:36 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
I don't know where to begin, but yes, there's animosity. Lots of history there. The short of it is, most Asians are historically suspicious of the Japanese because of their empire during WWII and their continued reluctance to admit wrongdoing. In more recent years, though, the attention is gradually shifting away from Japan and more toward a concern about China and what a Chinese superpower means to other Asian nations.

Just when Asians thought they wanted nothing more to do with the Americans, along come the Chinese. lol!
From the political and historic perspective, Japan is culpable for the crime it did in WWII.

But dealing with Japanese people on personal level is totally another story. For example,if I had to choose a roommate from another country, I would definitely choose Japanese. Japanese people are very friendly and courteous. I haven't met a single Japanese people I dislike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia