Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:26 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times

Advertisements

Which language is more likely to be understood by most Filipinos - Tagalog or English?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 08:48 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Which language is more likely to be understood by most Filipinos - Tagalog or English?
Our Language is kind of mixed and a lot of dialects are endangered already.
I just read an article that there are 24 dialects that are endangered. A lot used Taglish. There are some Filipinos that doesn't understand tagalog specially if that is not their local dialect but most Filipinos understand both Tagalog and English because we have english class and english is one of the official. but there are a lot of Filipinos that doesn't know english too.

Quote:

DepEd has also renewed its partnership with the Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL) for the preservation of Philippine dialects.

“Of the 170 plus languages we have, several are considered endangered. Together with SIL we will try to save them,” Luistro said.

He said the partnership with SIL helps preserve indigenous Philippine languages in danger of extinction. Luistro said 24 local dialects are “dying” while four were already extinct.

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

Last edited by pinai; 05-10-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
Filipinos need to stop saying "dialects" when referring to other Filipino languages that are not Tagalog. The 169 other languages are not dialects, they are languages

And the education system changed last year. Now, Filipino children use only their native language in the classroom up til grade 4. Before, they were using English & Tagalog in the classroom from the 1st grade. I think this new system will preserve the other languages.

OP, it depends on the region. In places where the native language is a Visayan language (Cebuano, Ilonggo, Waray) people probably prefer you speak English to them rather than Tagalog. I think they understand either one but they dont like speaking Tagalog.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:50 AM

15 posts, read 30,846 times
It partially depends on where you are- city? University town? Village? Filipino, based on Tagalog, is taught in schools and widely spoken. It has loan words from English (kompyuter) and Spanish (kabayo) and probably others, but I don't speak much. I had no problem using only English in the university towns, esp. with students and teachers. Once I left Los Baños, I had assistants. One who spoke great English, Filipino, and good Bisaya. The other spoke okay English, good Filipino and Bisaya, and her local language which was a dialect of Bisaya. I needed them both in order to interview farmers and transcribe the conversations into English. Does that help?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Filipinos need to stop saying "dialects" when referring to other Filipino languages that are not Tagalog. The 169 other languages are not dialects, they are languages

And the education system changed last year. Now, Filipino children use only their native language in the classroom up til grade 4. Before, they were using English & Tagalog in the classroom from the 1st grade. I think this new system will preserve the other languages.

OP, it depends on the region. In places where the native language is a Visayan language (Cebuano, Ilonggo, Waray) people probably prefer you speak English to them rather than Tagalog. I think they understand either one but they dont like speaking Tagalog.
I guess they refer to dialects because there is one official/national which is the Filipino Language. some of the words in Filipino was also taken from different ethnic group not just Tagalog.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I guess they refer to dialects because there is one official/national which is the Filipino Language. some of the words in Filipino was also taken from different ethnic group not just Tagalog.
yeah I understand, but it kinda perpetuates the mindset that Tagalog/Filipino is the only true language, while all the other languages are just dialects. In linguistic terms, dialects are variations of the same language. So Batangas Tagalog & Manila Tagalog are both dialects of Tagalog, since the speakers can understand one another, but speak differently. Tagalog, Ilocano, Cebuano, Bicolano, etc etc etc are all different languages because they are not mutually ineligible.

Anyways, I did a paper on the new education system and I'm so glad that they're not using English/Tagalog as the medium of instruction in schools until 4th grade. It's going to preserve the children's native language and help them to better understand the content

Old 05-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
yeah I understand, but it kinda perpetuates the mindset that Tagalog/Filipino is the only true language, while all the other languages are just dialects. In linguistic terms, dialects are variations of the same language. So Batangas Tagalog & Manila Tagalog are both dialects of Tagalog, since the speakers can understand one another, but speak differently. Tagalog, Ilocano, Cebuano, Bicolano, etc etc etc are all different languages because they are not mutually ineligible.

Anyways, I did a paper on the new education system and I'm so glad that they're not using English/Tagalog as the medium of instruction in schools until 4th grade. It's going to preserve the children's native language and help them to better understand the content
Actually, there are some tagalog in different areas of tagalog region that doesn't understand some word because they have different meaning of tagalog. I asked my co-worker who came from Laguna and she told me about it & accent wise also. The close ethnic dialect of Pangasinense are the Ibaloi, The Kapampangan & Ibanag is similar.

--------------------------------------
Ibanag Song

IBANAG SONG ((IRAYIG TAKA) - YouTube

Kapampangan Song

Atin Cu Pung Singsing lyrics - YouTube

-------------------------------------

Ibaloi Song

Ibaloi Song - Vingi Ka Ga Di - YouTube

Pangasinense

No say Panangaro ( PAngasinan SOng ) - YouTube
I guess Pangasinense is one of the hardest Filipino Language lol
due to the hard word.

----------------------------------------

Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 AM

^ Actually, all of those languages are more distant from Tagalog. They're in the Northern Philippine language branch Tagalog is grouped in the Central Philippine languages, with Bicol and Bisayan languages. It's not just geographic terms, that's how linguists have grouped the languages based on relatedness.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
^ Actually, all of those languages are more distant from Tagalog. They're in the Northern Philippine language branch Tagalog is grouped in the Central Philippine languages, with Bicol and Bisayan languages. It's not just geographic terms, that's how linguists have grouped the languages based on relatedness.
yes, northern luzon like Ilocanos, Ivatan, Pangasinense, are close to each other as well as some central luzon I guess by migration. those cordillerans used to be a low-lander Filipinos.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:08 PM

What other Filipino languages can you understand the best? And which ones are hardest to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia