U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2013, 11:04 AM
 
1,447 posts, read 1,847,731 times
Reputation: 944

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Although English is an official language in the Philippines, Filipinos are not considered Native English Speakers.
In China, they do not like to hire Filipino teachers because we are not really considered native English speakers.

yeah but koreans go to the philippines 'cause we offer competitive english instruction at so cheap prices i even had korean students that had studied in australia go to the philippines to learn american english cheaply. what was funny was i would teach them the american way of saying words, but then they would insist on speaking their australian way. oh well...they lost their learning time but i earned their money hehehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2013, 11:06 AM
 
1,447 posts, read 1,847,731 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ I always like the way Korina talks

I was thinking about how it would be if only English were the official language. I would actually like that better. It's an outside neutral language, no ethnic group would feel like they were at a disadvantage. But then it would be really weird because when Filipinos from different regions got together (which is very often) they would speak exclusively English, can you imagine that?? Our English skills would be top notch though.

i had always wished for english to be the national language. but even so, our business english is considered top-notch in the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,857,765 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
yeah but koreans go to the philippines 'cause we offer competitive english instruction at so cheap prices i even had korean students that had studied in australia go to the philippines to learn american english cheaply. what was funny was i would teach them the american way of saying words, but then they would insist on speaking their australian way. oh well...they lost their learning time but i earned their money hehehe
Because it is more cheap to learn English in the Philippines. Korea and China are opening a lot of Learning Centres especially here in China, they are opening a lot of international schools and they really hire English teachers from the UK. Teachers are all foreigners even in Billingual Schools so tuition fees are really high. For sure in Korea, it is the same, so it is still cheaper to be in the Philippines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:08 PM
 
1,447 posts, read 1,847,731 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Because it is more cheap to learn English in the Philippines. Korea and China are opening a lot of Learning Centres especially here in China, they are opening a lot of international schools and they really hire English teachers from the UK. Teachers are all foreigners even in Billingual Schools so tuition fees are really high. For sure in Korea, it is the same, so it is still cheaper to be in the Philippines.
it's only understandable for those institutions to hire native speakers if they want to be competitive at teaching english to foreigners. of course, it naturally follows that tuition fees would be exorbitant.

we can teach our fellow asians basics with english, but of course we're not native speakers. however it's fact that our english is superior to that of most asians. this should be proof enough:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

i would even think our english is better than indian english, but then again, indian english is more colonial british english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,971,875 times
Reputation: 402
DepEd are actually concentrating for globalization for the Filipinos to introduced more foreign languages. some schools they already offered Mandarin, Arabic and now the Spanish subject to bring it back to it's official status aside from English. I guess it's advantage to learn more languages because like here in Middle Eastern they offered French classes. My cousin studied in one school run by Arab not english and they have English and French classes aside from their national language Arabic.

Last edited by pinai; 05-11-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,857,765 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
it's only understandable for those institutions to hire native speakers if they want to be competitive at teaching english to foreigners. of course, it naturally follows that tuition fees would be exorbitant.

we can teach our fellow asians basics with english, but of course we're not native speakers. however it's fact that our english is superior to that of most asians. this should be proof enough:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

i would even think our english is better than indian english, but then again, indian english is more colonial british english.
Their pronunciation is better than ours though. While there might be Filipinos who speak good English, but majority have bad English pronunciation. My brother in law who is a Mexican American finds some Filipino celebrities funny when they speak English because he thinks our pronunciation is very different. The Indians, I think their grammar is better too because majority of Filipinos are poor in the English grammar. I think the only problem with Indians speaking English is their intonation. I think it is quite hard for them to get away from their native intonation that it stays even when they speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:41 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
Reputation: 1798
I think Malaysians and Singaporeans have the best English in Asia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,971,875 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I think Malaysians and Singaporeans have the best English in Asia
Singaporeans and Malaysian have accent same as Indians even if they speak english. I guess same as Filipinos whose 1st language is not english. I work with Singaporeans and Malaysian & they have similar accent.

I guess to be a call center you have to learn to get rid with the accent lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSLrOZq39xg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:47 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
Reputation: 1798
All people who are not native speakers will have an accent. But their accent is more pleasant IMO, and it doesn't sounds like Indians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:50 PM
 
1,447 posts, read 1,847,731 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Their pronunciation is better than ours though. While there might be Filipinos who speak good English, but majority have bad English pronunciation. My brother in law who is a Mexican American finds some Filipino celebrities funny when they speak English because he thinks our pronunciation is very different. The Indians, I think their grammar is better too because majority of Filipinos are poor in the English grammar. I think the only problem with Indians speaking English is their intonation. I think it is quite hard for them to get away from their native intonation that it stays even when they speak English.
i'm not sure if their grammar is any better than ours (look at my facebook link), but i've read somewhere that their sentence syntax is more of old/old school british english construction. ours is more american based.

i wouldnt say their pronunciation is better than ours either. i've transcribed a few indian doctors before in medical transcription, and i've had the hardest time with them. anyone who is not a native english speaker (even native speakers themselves have varying degrees of accents e.g. british, australian, southern american, northeastern american, midwestern american) is sure to have some degree of his native accent when speaking english. it's more on the percentage of the population having such amount of accent when speaking english. i dont have hard data on this to back up my claim, but im speaking from my experience with teaching koreans, working with multinationals in a korean school, medical transcribing and working with foreign workers (filipinos, hispanics and indians) here in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top