Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
droga, telebisyon, and eskwelahan are all Filipinized Spanish. Droga is straight Spanish. And Filipinized Spanish IMO sounds much better than Filipinized English

hmm never knew droga was spanish. i agree, filipinized spanish sounds better than filipinized english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
Here are lists of the languages spoken in the Philippines. With so many different languages and peoples, I wonder how the Philippines can stay together as one nation!

Languages of the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dagiti pagsasao iti Pilipinas - Wikipedia

Mga wika sa Pilipinas - Wikipedia, ang malayang ensiklopedya

Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How many years do Filipinos study English in school?
With the old system, it was every year. There were English subject classes and there were also math and science subjects that used English as the medium of instruction from day one.

With the brand new system, English is a subject from kindergarten, but it's not a medium of instruction in any class until 4th grade. Both Filipino & English are the mediums of instruction from 4th grade onward, before that, it's whatever regional language is spoken by the students.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
it's my own way of describing english words being used the filipino way. let me try to come up with some examples:

drugs = droga in filipino
cellphone = selpon
television = telebisyon
school = eskwelahan (why not paaralan?)

that one filipinized english word from Encantadia would've best exemplified it since i know there was a formal filipino counterpart to it, but that word still escapes me at the moment
That is Spanish loanwords except the cellphone to selpon lol

Rated K show is mostly in Filipino or Tagalog. I remembered in school we have to read 'year' in tagalog too if the subject or the books that we have is in tagalog, same in english subject.

Last edited by pinai; 05-11-2013 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Here are lists of the languages spoken in the Philippines. With so many different languages and peoples, I wonder how the Philippines can stay together as one nation!

Languages of the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dagiti pagsasao iti Pilipinas - Wikipedia

Mga wika sa Pilipinas - Wikipedia, ang malayang ensiklopedya

there's your filipinized english right there

Old 05-11-2013, 10:24 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
it's my own way of describing english words being used the filipino way. let me try to come up with some examples:

drugs = droga in filipino
cellphone = selpon
television = telebisyon
school = eskwelahan (why not paaralan?)

that one filipinized english word from Encantadia would've best exemplified it since i know there was a formal filipino counterpart to it, but that word still escapes me at the moment
These are Spanish loan words. The Filipino words that are similar to English are Spanish words that we have adopted. I think they don't sound foreign anymore unlike the English words. I think the Spanish words just go well with the Filipino language unlike the English words that really sound so foreign when it's mixed with Filipino.

Traffic- Trapiko
Drugs- Droga
Pants- Pantalon
Suggestion- Suhestion
Vacation- Bacacion
Participation - Participacion/ Partisipasyon
Television- Televicion/ Telebisyon

Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Rated K Show

RATED K (Inspiring story) millionaire farmer - YouTube
Mostly Filipino and Spanish loanwords except she used the word Millionaire and mention 'year' I think this is the only difficult in Tagalog/Filipino 2013 (Ika-dalawampung libo at labing tatlong taong siglo?)

Old 05-11-2013, 10:34 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
^ I always like the way Korina talks

I was thinking about how it would be if only English were the official language. I would actually like that better. It's an outside neutral language, no ethnic group would feel like they were at a disadvantage. But then it would be really weird because when Filipinos from different regions got together (which is very often) they would speak exclusively English, can you imagine that?? Our English skills would be top notch though.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
hmm never knew droga was spanish. i agree, filipinized spanish sounds better than filipinized english.
Filipino words that are similar to English are all Spanish words. Many english words especially the words that end in " ION " ex. participation came from French. French and Spanish both came from Latin that's why the Filipino words that are similar to English are not Filipino but Spanish.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ I always like the way Korina talks

I was thinking about how it would be if only English were the official language. I would actually like that better. It's an outside neutral language, no ethnic group would feel like they were at a disadvantage. But then it would be really weird because when Filipinos from different regions got together (which is very often) they would speak exclusively English, can you imagine that?? Our English skills would be top notch though.
Although English is an official language in the Philippines, Filipinos are not considered Native English Speakers.
In China, they do not like to hire Filipino teachers because we are not really considered native English speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia