Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:51 AM

440 posts, read 662,218 times

Advertisements

Some expats live in houses, not towers in more remote areas of HK, but can still reach the city center on HK Island in 1 to 1.5 hours.

Local men who can traced their ancestry to a village who already existed before the British rule are eligible to build a house by themselves in the village. These villages now have both locals and non-locals residents, and both HK Chinese and foreigners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 01:02 AM

440 posts, read 662,218 times
Lots of houses where people can grow trees or keep a big dog instead of high rise residential towers on the islands and 10 minutes drive from all of the new towns. Cows ,buffalos and boars maybe the villagers' neighbors.

Most high rise towers in HK forbid residents to keep dogs.

Some HK people live in Shenzhen and travel to HK to work or school every day.
Many HK elderlies have relatives or houses in their home villages in Mainland China, they go back to retire or stay there for a few months every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowu5 View Post
A point to add, there's no such thing as 'metropolis retreat' in the case of Hong Kong because we're a bloody city state. There's not a 'countryside Hong Kong' that we could relocate from 'city Hong Kong'. It's more like if New Yorkers don't like Manhattan then the only option is to move to Morocco or Nigeria, with all those difference in culture and way of life.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:08 AM

64 posts, read 74,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Some HK people live in Shenzhen and travel to HK to work or school every day.
I must insist on adding quotation mark ('HK people') or the word 'new' before to describe those people
But anyway, I should not be making this too political.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 AM

922 posts, read 806,421 times
OVERRATED. It is just a small city state, no more no less, the food though is quite devine.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:51 AM

653 posts, read 743,613 times
I always think of Hong Kong and Horse Racing as something that goes together.

I am not sure how many Americans are in this thread, but here are some figures to consider, for Hong Kong has a population of 7 million, which barely makes a splash in the US population size:

1) In 2014, the Hong Kong Jockey Club's total turnover was $13.4 billion, much of it coming from the betting made by Hong Kongers, out of a population of 7 million, compare that to the NFL's total turnover.

2) During the 2014 Chinese New year, 92,000 packed the Sha Tin Racecourse, compared to the 72,000 that packed the US's 72,000 for Superbowl 2015.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:43 PM

47 posts, read 36,825 times
I think Hong Kong is a great place to be if you can afford it.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:06 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLove1 View Post
I think Hong Kong is a great place to be if you can afford it.
I fail to see why would want to be in HK, instead of Monaco or Switzerland if I were rich.

Actually if I were rich, I would probably move to Spain.

What the hell does HK offer? great subways?

Old 04-13-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Migrating to Taiwan is just delaying the inevitable. You know Taiwan doesnt even dare to inform the PRC that it's indepdendent? It's just a matter of time. Might as well come to the US.
What a stupid comment. What makes you think Taiwan WANTS to be independent? Did you do your research there? Did you talk to local people?

Taiwan is a democracy, which means if there is wide and overwhelming support, the politicians will declare independent, but why don't they? Why would they do something that gains little to lose a lot? It is not like China has much control over their policies.

I don't mind Taiwan being completely independent, but I don't see that ever happen.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:49 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I fail to see why would want to be in HK, instead of Monaco or Switzerland if I were rich.

Actually if I were rich, I would probably move to Spain.

What the hell does HK offer? great subways?
It depends if a person is a city person or not.

For me, I love Hong Kong. I love the energy, and I love Hong Kong's setting - warm climate, mountains absolutely everywhere, and ocean everywhere. All of that oozing with dense urban amenities every step.

Just the very sounds of the names Monaco and Switzerland, give me this 'one foot in the grave' feel.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It depends if a person is a city person or not.

For me, I love Hong Kong. I love the energy, and I love Hong Kong's setting - warm climate, mountains absolutely everywhere, and ocean everywhere. All of that oozing with dense urban amenities every step.

Just the very sounds of the names Monaco and Switzerland, give me this 'one foot in the grave' feel.
I am definitely a city person (always complain about how suburban/small Toronto is here) and I am not interested in HK whatsoever.

Like I said, if I were rich and didn't have to work, I would be living in Spain (and London/Paris in the summer). HK is ugly and tacky unless you only look at its skyline from afar. I will shoot myself in the foot if I have to listen to Cantonese every single hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia