Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:07 AM

6,554 posts, read 12,040,501 times

Advertisements

Have any of you been to or lived in both California and Japan? Would you consider them to be similar or different? I was living in San Diego for 10 years, but I recently transferred to Japan and living in the Kanagawa Prefecture, just outside Tokyo. Some things I have noticed are similar, such as the dense population and limited land space due to the mountainous terrain in close proximity to the ocean. Also, the Tokyo metropolis looks very similar to the Los Angeles area with it's urban sprawl and traffic. Both are on the Pacific ring of fault lines, thus they have earthquakes. The plus side of having mountains close to the ocean is like in California, you can go to the beach and go skiing in the mountains the same day. Also, California and the rest of the West Coast, plus Hawaii, gets a lot of influence and ideas from Japan, especially with technological aspects and cultural trends.

What makes Japan different from California for one is the weather. Most of Japan lies in a humid subtropical zone and has 4 seasons with hot, humid summers, and mild winters with occasional snow. California has a Mediterranean climate in the southern part, and a marine climate in the northern. Also, public transportation is a lot more efficient in Japan. Rail is more of a priority than roads there. California is more of a car culture, as most of America. Of course there obvious differences such as the people, language, etc. as they are still two separate countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:53 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,990 times
California!!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,708 times
um, it's like no comparison. also tokyo does not look like la. tokyo is clean, neat, quiet, organized, and full of japanese people who are also that way. california is.. um.. way different.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:47 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,532,954 times
Nippon!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:46 PM

700 posts, read 2,595,897 times
I've always thought that Yokohama and San Diego look similar (despite lack of palm trees) Just purely on cosmetics though. As far as density, I think very few places in the world compare to the Kanto plain...people upon people, but heck never a dull moment!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
um, it's like no comparison. also tokyo does not look like la. tokyo is clean, neat, quiet, organized, and full of japanese people who are also that way. california is.. um.. way different.
I agree, especially with the "quiet" part....
As far as the normal city noises or honking, sirens and the occasional scream in the night (Im using being raised in NYC as an example)
Tokyo is amazingly quiet, except for the occasional political truck, sweet potato sales guy and that irritating truck that drives down the road asking for my "Terebe!" at good awful early hours.

I do however like the national alarm clock at 17:00 telling me it's "beer o'clock".... How considerate!

I would love to see how long the singing yaki-imo (sp?) guy would last driving down the streets of L.A without getting a shoe thrown at him!

But I love every minute of it!!

Old 04-04-2009, 03:39 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
I lived in Japan now and lived in California in the past.

I love them both. Perhaps two of my most favorite places. Obviously I'm in Japan now, so I prefer it at this time. But in the long haul of things, California is pretty amazing. I'd probably be back to the the U.S. at some point, and California, is the housing prices went down, would be pretty sweet.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:13 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,366 times
I have a question to those that have lived, not visited, Japan. Don't Japanese hate all outsiders? There movies, cartoons, and the way they speak to others give off that vibe.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I have a question to those that have lived, not visited, Japan. Don't Japanese hate all outsiders? There movies, cartoons, and the way they speak to others give off that vibe.
Not at all, we are much more of a curiosity then anything. The older Japanese are not overtly friendly and honestly I think they are just old and don't like change from whichever angle (which includes young Japanese!) The younger Japanese 50 and under are much more international thinking then most give them credit for. Remember they are not xenophobic by choice, it was geographic and political that Westerners didn't come to Japan (in any real numbers) until mid 20th century. They embrace the west much more then the perception in the west gives one to believe.

You would be amazed after you scratch the surface how kind they can be if you give in return that same respect and kindness. People do experience different results however.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:48 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
i know this may seem a shock or a strange thing to say (because it's not current social mentality to even notice and honestly assess but to spout off what is currently believed to be true like current "thought fads" or social mob "truths") but it's americans who honestly seem to hate outsiders and they don't get labeled such. they don't care for or are respectful or interested in anything remotely outside of american. also, they are condescending and rude. yes, they give off that vibe. the ones that aren't are not the majority.

let's see. just today i stopped in at a store and some old white guy ignores me (probably a racist) when asked a question, lady behind counter acts strange and exaggerative, patronizingly rude, and african-americans giving dirty and xenophobic looks(also white americans too). this is everyday america.

i'm sorry, what were you saying? how about that for a TRUE AND REAL reality check. I find it kind of scary how people are blinded by stereotypes for the purpose of defining (spin) for probably political advantage not for truth and how that is deceptively unreal.

Last edited by leaana; 04-05-2009 at 01:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia