Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:25 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

I suggested to Woodrow that he look over the 'Atheist quotes' page. So I'd better bump it up to make it easy to find.

"The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence." Abu'l-Ala-Al-Ma'arri

"If Atheism is a religion, then health is a disease!" (Clark Adams)

"How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" (anon. - comment on the problem of evil)

"Clearly the person who accepts the Church as an infallible guide will believe whatever the Church teaches." more for atheism than by an atheist. (Thomas Aquinas; Source: Summa Theologica)

"Creationists make it sound like a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night." (Isaac Asimov)

We evolved from pondslime.
Creationists do not accept this
therefore creationists are still pondslime. (Arq)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,220,428 times
Christianity is an insult to the wisdom of the nineteenth century. To place before its progress and developments a leader, ruler, king, savior, god, whose knowledge was less than a modern five-year old school girl, is an outrage upon humanity. - Ella E. Gibson

When a mere girl, my mother offered me a dollar if I would read the Bible through; . . . despairing of reconciling many of its absurd statements with even my childish philosophy, . . . I became a skeptic, doubter, and unbeliever, long ere the "Good Book" was ended. - Elmina D. Slenker

Christianity is a formula: it is nothing more. - Maria Louisa Rame

Children should be taught that no amount of so-called religion will compensate for rheumatism; that Christianity has nothing to do with morality; that vicarious atonement is a fraud and a lie; that to be born well and strong is the highest birth; that the Bible is no more inspired that The Philistine; that sin is a transgression of the laws of life; and the blood of all the bulls and goats and lambs of ancient times, and the blood of Jesus or any other man never had nor can have the least effect in making a life what it would have been had it obeyed the laws of life. - Marilla M. Ricker

[Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend himself? Would it be to the glory of man to fry ants? - Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,628 times
"Many primates have a difficult time imagining a universe not dominated by an angry alpha male"
- unknown (to me, but I read it somewhere)

Old 08-25-2011, 11:26 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
“Primates often have trouble imagining a universe not run by an angry alpha male.” (Anonymous - sorry! I'll keep checking)

Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

“I am surrounded by priests who repeat incessantly that their kingdom is not of this world, and yet they lay hands on everything they can get.”

Rev. Donald Morgan

“The biblical concepts of sin and salvation are an integral part of Christian doctrine. Christianity first creates a problem (sin) and then offers a ‘solution’ (salvation). This is not unlike the protection racket; you either buy ‘protection’—or else!”

Steven Weinberg

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”

( Steven Weinberg; as quoted from Carey Goldberg, "Cosmology and Theology Tangle in a Rousing Match," The New York Times, April 20, 1999. )

Ludwig Feuerbach (1804-1872)

“Wherever morality is based on theology, wherever right is made dependent on divine authority, the most immoral, unjust, infamous things can be justified and established.”

( Ludwig Feuerbach, The Essence of Christianity, 1841; from The Great Thoughts, George Seldes, ed., New York: Ballantine Books, 1996, p. 151. )

Steve Allen (1921-2000)

“I do not understand those who take little or no interest in the subject of religion. If religion embodies a truth, it is certainly the most important truth of human existence. If it is largely error, then it is one of monumentally tragic proportions—and should be vigorously opposed.”

Rev. Donald Morgan

“If the Bible is telling the truth, then God is either untruthful or incompetent. If God is truthful, then the Bible is either untruthful or erroneous.”

Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
I could have sworn I posted this one in an atheist quote thread. I'm still a little unclear as to whether this is by Mark Twain, or has been modified by Albert Bigelow Paine, who apparently had something to do with publishing The Mysterious Stranger after Twain's death, despite the fact that Twain never officially finished the story. Regardless, it's a great piece of work and my favorite quote pertaining to religion, among other things:

Quote:
"In a little while you will be alone in shoreless space, to wander its limitless solitudes without friend or comrade forever--for you will remain a thought, the only existent thought, and by your nature inextinguishable, indestructible. But I, your poor servant, have revealed you to yourself and set you free. Dream other dreams, and better!"

"Strange! that you should not have suspected years ago - centuries, ages, eons, ago! - for you have existed, companionless, through all the eternities."

"Strange, indeed, that you should not have suspected that your universe and its contents were only dreams, visions, fiction! Strange, because they are so frankly and hysterically insane - like all dreams: a God who could make good children as easily as bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave his angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice and invented hell - mouths mercy and invented hell - mouths Golden Rules, and forgiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him!" . . .

"You perceive, now, that these things are all impossible except in a dream. You perceive that they are pure and puerile insanities, the silly creations of an imagination that is not conscious of its freaks - in a word, that they are a dream, and you the maker of it. The dream-marks are all present; you should have recognized them earlier."

"It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream - a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought - a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!"

Old 08-26-2011, 03:49 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,633 times
"Religious war at its simplest is killing each other over who has the best imaginary friend."
— Richard Jeni

Old 09-15-2011, 05:54 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,760 times
"Science adjusts its view on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be perserved
" ~ Tim Michin

Old 09-16-2011, 02:15 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,163 times
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world."

Richard Dawkins, from his book, "The God Delusion"

Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
"God is an eggburger who loves killing and torture"

From Bob Smith, a guy at work.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:32 PM

33,529 posts, read 37,130,597 times
Mrs. Brown is hilarious.

Mrs. Brown and The Mormons - Mrs. Brown's Boys Episode 6, preview - BBC One - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism