Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Lets not critic those who kill authors for drawing muhammad, those who wish to destroy science, those who wish to indoctrinate other peoples children, those who put in laws for non believers can't hold office, those who discriminate against homosexuals, those who do not want to give women equal rights, those who want the government to spend our tax money on religious propaganda, those who want to kill apostates of their religion, those who think you need their god to be moral, those who walk on to a bus full of children and blow themselves up, those who poison gas a girls school, those who claim they have the right to tell us what pictures we can draw, those who claim the right to tell us which types of food we can eat, who we can have sex with, and in what position.

By claiming that these acts shouldn't be critic, you show your support for them.

One of the best way to critic another persons idea, or action, is through humor. These usual unspeakable actions of the religious NEED to be spoken against, the behavior they have presented is unacceptable in a modern civilization.
The problem here is that you don't single out just the people who do what you listed. My family is very christian, bit none of them do what you listed. I also know a muslim family who lives next to me, they don't believe in any of what you listed. They claim their faith is for them to follow and others choose whatever path they want.

Sure those acts should be criticized, weighed, and even punished. But making fun of them is to make light of them, which also condones them. Why would I make a joke about something immoral? Why would I want to make light of something so serious? There is nothing funny about any of those things, well maybe maybe what position to be in. Is it like adjusting the antenna on an old TV?

Quote:
Atheism is not a world view, it is the rejection of theism. My world view comes from humanism, skeptic, and rationalism.

If you disagree with me, spew out what you think the world view of atheism on another thread, and I'll show you other atheist that do not follow your supposed 'world view'.
Oddly enough most atheists are also humanists, skeptics, and rationalists. I don't know any that aren't. A world view is a collection of beliefs about life and the universe held by an individual or a group. To deny that atheists have no beliefs would be false. Do you know of any atheists that don't believe in logic and reason? Atheism isn't a belief system itself. But it is a way to partial view the world we live in aka world view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
You have to realize many people are pretty much forced to explain why they are atheist to everyone they come across, especially in certain areas. Heck, I have a few family members who every time I see them I have to explain why I am not religious, they will not stop at anything. I currently live in the South and I have people trying to convert me when I try to buy groceries, get my vehicle worked on, working out at the gym and many other regular activities. I am sure many people have it worse than I do. Do you not think it would get to them?

We all have different ways of handling things,I am not saying I am a fan of it. But any group you will have people like that.
There are plenty of things I get sick of in regards to other people, but I choose not to let it get to me. I have no problem repeating myself. I will gladly be a broken record every time I am asked, "why don't you believe?" Do you get annoyed by people who ask you, "How was your day?", "whats up?" I am constantly asked if my last name is really my last name, it's a popular drink in most countries, do I get annoyed? Nope. I get asked why do you have tattoos? Why did you gauge your ears? Aren't you worried what it will look like when you get older? I don't mind repeating myself over and over. Maybe I just have more patience than most people because I love learning about why we do the things we do, what makes us who we are, what lead us to be the civilization we are today and where are we heading. I chose to understand why.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:45 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
The problem here is that you don't single out just the people who do what you listed. My family is very christian, bit none of them do what you listed. I also know a muslim family who lives next to me, they don't believe in any of what you listed. They claim their faith is for them to follow and others choose whatever path they want.

Sure those acts should be criticized, weighed, and even punished. But making fun of them is to make light of them, which also condones them. Why would I make a joke about something immoral? Why would I want to make light of something so serious? There is nothing funny about any of those things, well maybe maybe what position to be in. Is it like adjusting the antenna on an old TV?

Oddly enough most atheists are also humanists, skeptics, and rationalists. I don't know any that aren't. A world view is a collection of beliefs about life and the universe held by an individual or a group. To deny that atheists have no beliefs would be false. Do you know of any atheists that don't believe in logic and reason? Atheism isn't a belief system itself. But it is a way to partial view the world we live in aka world view.
If they are moderate muslims, they would support freedom of speech, and not try to make an attempt to stop me from saying what I want.
I'm not a extremist, I'm not going to say, "if you don't stop that I will blow you up"... critic is our only weapon.
No lol.... You can be an atheist and not be a skeptic, humanist or rationalist...
You want a self imposed censorship, which I am saying will lead to all non believers losing their rights to religious extremist..
If your muslim friends agree with me, they should be glad to join in the critic of theses thugs.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
If they are moderate muslims, they would support freedom of speech, and not try to make an attempt to stop me from saying what I want.
I'm not a extremist, I'm not going to say, "if you don't stop that I will blow you up"... critic is our only weapon.
No lol.... You can be an atheist and not be a skeptic, humanist or rationalist...
You want to impose a self imposed censorship, which I am saying will lead to all non believers losing their rights to religious extremist..
If your muslim friends agree with me, they should be glad to join in the critic of theses thugs.
I am saying that you can judge, and criticize these types of people. But to do the same to those that have nothing to do with it other than some nut job extremist believes in the same religion, is wrong.

If you are just going to single out the religious nuts, feel free. But we don't, we go after the whole group because it is easier to generalize.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:57 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
Some of them not so much, do not believe in God but want to be god. The most hard core atheist that I ever knew would ring your neck at the dinner table if you so much as said the word God...he was totally aggressive about his non-belief...This fellow was also a very good amateur astronomer. He had a very large telescope and one night took me out for a viewing of the heavens..It was spectacular. Then I asked him a few questions regarding certain formations and he in total arrogance said..."explaining that to you is like explaining the moon to a dog"....I took the insult with grace...and thought...Maybe it should be like explaining to the moon what a dog is..would be more fitting seeing the moon is a big rock dumber than a dog.

At the end of he viewing session as we walked across the field..He made one last comment about the universe...."What a mess up there- I could have designed it better"- at that moment I lost all respect for this jerk..talk about arrogant.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I am saying that you can judge, and criticize these types of people. But to do the same to those that have nothing to do with it other than some nut job extremist believes in the same religion, is wrong.

If you are just going to single out the religious nuts, feel free. But we don't, we go after the whole group because it is easier to generalize.
Who are you to tell me who I can critic and who I can not? NO ONE in this society is free from critic.

If I think marrying 9 year old girls, denying equal rights to infidels, women and homosexuals, are evil, why shouldn't I say this to a 'moderate' muslim?
There are verse in these 'holy' texts which I find deplorable, and would not like to be seen implemented in 2012 or anytime in the future.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Some of them not so much, do not believe in God but want to be god. The most hard core atheist that I ever knew would ring your neck at the dinner table if you so much as said the word God...he was totally aggressive about his non-belief...This fellow was also a very good amateur astronomer. He had a very large telescope and one night took me out for a viewing of the heavens..It was spectacular. Then I asked him a few questions regarding certain formations and he in total arrogance said..."explaining that to you is like explaining the moon to a dog"....I took the insult with grace...and thought...Maybe it should be like explaining to the moon what a dog is..would be more fitting seeing the moon is a big rock dumber than a dog.

At the end of he viewing session as we walked across the field..He made one last comment about the universe...."What a mess up there- I could have designed it better"- at that moment I lost all respect for this jerk..talk about arrogant.
Your post seems to suggest atheist act like this? This is a human trait, he thinks because he is superior in one area, that he must be in all others.
I have learned, that everyone I run into, is superior at something to me. Your 'friend' needs to learn this lesson, or else he'll be a very lonely man indeed..

Old 06-27-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Who are you to tell me who I can critic and who I can not? NO ONE in this society is free from critic.
I agree, we have the right to judge anyone we want. But to what end? What good does it do to judge something that doesn't effect us? We also have to realize that we can't hold everyone to the same standards. Just look at how school is done. We assume that because of a persons age they should be at a certain level of education. Some people develop and learn differently. It's like judging a fish on it's ability to climb a tree.

Quote:
If I think marrying 9 year old girls, denying equal rights to infidels, women and homosexuals, are evil, why shouldn't I say this to a 'moderate' muslim?
There are verse in these 'holy' texts which I find deplorable, and would not like to be seen implemented in 2012 or anytime in the future.
By all means say it, just don't judge them for something they haven't done. Critique their scriptures all you want, but until they do something to cause harm or evil, what's the point in judging their overall beliefs?

The problem I think we are having is that you are all simply saying what you can do. I am asking why do you do it? Give me a freaking reason for being arrogant, intolerant while asking for tolerance, demanding respect when you give none. We atheists claim to embrace reason and logic, yet some show otherwise. We claim we aren't the ignorant ones yet some show how much they are.

I guess I just have to accept that some atheists just don't use logic and reason, that some just aren't as attentive as I am, that some just choose not to understand. I just have to accept that some just use atheism to replace a would be religious view to spread their hate and intolerance.

Quote:
Your post seems to suggest atheist act like this? This is a human trait, he thinks because he is superior in one area, that he must be in all others.
I have learned, that everyone I run into, is superior at something to me. Your 'friend' needs to learn this lesson, or else he'll be a very lonely man indeed..
I didn't pick up on the suggestion that all atheists act like this, but I can see how one could interpret that. I do agree with you on the rest.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:03 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,566 times
For what it is worth, I am an atheist more like you, Raison. There are famous atheists like us like Daniel Dennett. Not all of us are of the Bill Maher variety atheist.

Just as I don't want the militant atheists criticizing me for not being militant, I don't criticize the militants for being militant. It doesn't usually work anyway.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:38 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
For what it is worth, I am an atheist more like you, Raison. There are famous atheists like us like Daniel Dennett. Not all of us are of the Bill Maher variety atheist.

Just as I don't want the militant atheists criticizing me for not being militant, I don't criticize the militants for being militant. It doesn't usually work anyway.
Thank you. In any group you will have others who are more militant than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism