Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:23 PM

83 posts, read 101,353 times

Advertisements

I have been a Closet Atheist most of my adult life until I retired 21 years ago and CAME OUT. Actually, I now refer to my self as a "Secular Humanist" as this causes religious folk to do a quick Google Search or go to the dictionary. I am not a militant or assertive atheist and though I feel that believers are misguided, I have no desire to try and convert them.
I was in the Closet during my working years because my career, social and family environment made it necessary. Given the community in which I lived and worked Atheism would have been socially unacceptable. I don't run around yelling that I am an atheist or wear a badge identifying me as one, but when asked my religious preference, I just say that I am a Secular Humanist. Also, if the subject of religion comes up in social conversation I will respond the same way.
I suspect that there are many Closet Atheists in the U.S. and they just go along to get along. There can in many cases be dire consequences to do otherwise. Can you imagine ANY politician publicly stating they are Atheist? Maybe someday, but not in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,621 times
I'm "out" as an Atheist to my mom, friends, and my previous workplace -- it was full of students -- but the majority of my family is either Catholic or Baptist (I think we still have a Seventh Day Adventist or two, as well), so they don't know about my non-religious leanings. I don't really see it as any of their business.

I also don't see an Atheist president, much less an Atheist on the ballot, in my lifetime, neither. I mean, just look at how divided this country is on the Separation of Church and State. Look at how an ignorant, yet loud minority continually states Obama as a Muslim as though it is factual. And then, being a Muslim is being used as a pejorative. I can see an Atheist running for president in my future children's generation, but not now, not when we're still seen as godless heathens who need saving instead of regular people just trying to live our lives the way we want to, like everyone else.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:04 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septuagenarian View Post
I have been a Closet Atheist most of my adult life until I retired 21 years ago and CAME OUT. Actually, I now refer to my self as a "Secular Humanist" as this causes religious folk to do a quick Google Search or go to the dictionary. I am not a militant or assertive atheist and though I feel that believers are misguided, I have no desire to try and convert them.
I was in the Closet during my working years because my career, social and family environment made it necessary. Given the community in which I lived and worked Atheism would have been socially unacceptable. I don't run around yelling that I am an atheist or wear a badge identifying me as one, but when asked my religious preference, I just say that I am a Secular Humanist. Also, if the subject of religion comes up in social conversation I will respond the same way.
I suspect that there are many Closet Atheists in the U.S. and they just go along to get along. There can in many cases be dire consequences to do otherwise. Can you imagine ANY politician publicly stating they are Atheist? Maybe someday, but not in my lifetime.
Pete Stark, Congressman from California, has been openly an atheist since 2007, and has since been re-elected twice (with 76% of the vote in 2008 and 72% in 2010). Of course, it certainly didn't hurt that he was already ensconsed as an 8-term member of Congress before coming out as an atheist, and it doesn't hurt that he represents a very liberal district (it has a Cook Partisan Voting Index of Democratic +22).

I have no illusions that an atheist could win in most districts, or could win a Senate seat or a Governorship. Still... baby steps.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:08 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,661 times
I'm out to anyone who asks and to a few others, depending on where a conversation goes.

And a few years ago I was 'outed' at work, leading to some shocked expressions that I found amusing...

Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 PM

11,366 posts, read 9,279,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septuagenarian View Post
Rep. Pete Stark (CA) came out in 2007.

He's the only one out of the 535 members of Congress.

Edit: Ah, someone beat me to it! I knew there was one but I had to look him up.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:20 AM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Congratulations to the OP for no longer having to hide lack of belief!
Reagan's son, Ron, the journalist, was asked if he might run for office, and he laughed and said, "I can't run for office, I'm an atheist."
I think it's like gay people. The more people who know a gay person as a friend/relative/co-worker, the more they don't take issue with that personal matter. I think it's the same for atheists. Of course, I can say that- I live and work in a rather secular area, but I still think I like to come out to believers if the subject comes up.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 AM

542 posts, read 691,850 times
My family is non-religious, so we're open about it there. (I feel lucky that way, after reading stories of other atheists here). But as for friends and co-workers, I try not to bring it up. I did mention it to a friend once in middle school and got an exclamation and an open-mouthed stare in response. My sister mentioned it in a class discussion in high school and got the same exclamation and open-mouthed stared from a teacher. (We live in Southern California).

In college, within the first few hours of meeting my roommate, she asked what my religion was. I know now I should have deflected the question as too personal, but I said I was 'undeclared' in that department. "Oh, you're an atheist." And her whole demeanor changed, and pretty much started a year of her trying to convert me and playing Christian music and praying before she'd eat her potato chips from the vending machine. She obviously was offended because I was a nonbeliever - she automatically felt I was against her religion - and golly, I never really gave religious folk much thought before then. It just hadn't been an issue. I hadn't cared she was religious, but the way she treated me back changed that. I'm even less likely to mention it to anyone than before.

In contrast to my roommate, my best friend of 15 years and I haven't discussed religion at all. It was something we just steered clear of. (And politics). I knew she went to church, and I think she knew I never mentioned church. Only recently did I indirectly discover that she doesn't believe in evolution. I'm glad we're friends, even with those differences. We've got plenty more in common, and neither of us is interested in pushing beliefs on the other.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:13 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,937,745 times
Quote:
In college, within the first few hours of meeting my roommate, she asked what my religion was. I know now I should have deflected the question as too personal, but I said I was 'undeclared' in that department. "Oh, you're an atheist." And her whole demeanor changed, and pretty much started a year of her trying to convert me and playing Christian music and praying before she'd eat her potato chips from the vending machine. She obviously was offended because I was a nonbeliever - she automatically felt I was against her religion - and golly, I never really gave religious folk much thought before then. It just hadn't been an issue. I hadn't cared she was religious, but the way she treated me back changed that. I'm even less likely to mention it to anyone than before.

more reasons why i don't believe in having roommates.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,326,864 times
more reason for more people to come out

Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post

Going off to college, this was one of my biggest fears and then that fear compounded when I found myself living with two girls who were close to their respective churches. A Christian, Hindu, and an Atheist all in the same three-bedroom dorm. Sounds like a sitcom or the set-up of a terrible joke.

Thankfully, religion was never an issue for us and the Hindi roommate was actually very interested in my non-theism asked me many, respectful, questions about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism