Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 09:44 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It is possible to know the textual content without having any understanding of it's meaning. If you can't even explain why the stories have endured and been believed for so long, then you have no real understanding. The understanding is only superficial, and most of the atheist views on the Bible that I've seen would be laughed out of a high school religious studies class.
Since you claim to have a deep understanding of the Bible how about answering a direct question. Is God fully omnipotent and omniscient... or does God make mistakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 10:31 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hi monumentus,
'An atheist on a discussion and debate forum knowing the content of the bible should be no more
surprising than a man in a pub knowing the names of the whiskys. '
Good one.

But, I would say, I would be surprised if a non drinker knew all the names of the whiskeys.
As an ex-drinker, and now prohibitionist, perhaps they would.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:54 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
George Carlin said that at the Catholic school he attended, the Priests went out of their way to encourage critical thinking. The result was that Carlin and many of the other students became atheists.
My schools were the opposite, punishing independent thinking and discouraging any questioning because questioning was a sign of weak faith.

I also became an atheist.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:58 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,054,369 times
Do you want to be an atheist or a theist? Should we shoot you now or wait until we get home?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyPFQKpRnd0

Last edited by granpa; 11-28-2018 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 11:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Do you want to be an atheist or a theist? Should we shoot you now or wait until we get home?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyPFQKpRnd0

Most amusing sir. But what ought to be the reason for being Theist or not is where the evidence points, not to which side can play the best lawyer -tricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
As an ex-drinker, and now prohibitionist, perhaps they would.
A good metaphor. And the point is one that has been made in a jibe by one "Nephilim" that anyone can look up stuff online. This is true, just as someone writing about drink (for or against) can, at need, look up names of whiskies, where they are made and what their merits are online. We no longer have to know it all to argue competently.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:20 AM

50,851 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
A classroom of preschool children might laugh at an adult sometimes. That doesn't mean they know more than the adult. When it comes to the Bible, I see atheists discussing it as a group of children at play.
And that's exactly how you are with atheism.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm reminded forcibly of Venomfang's 'Materialist scientists are like kids playing in a sandbox - not very intelligent' argument being destroyed by Thunderfoot . I'll try to find the "Mustwatch" video as it is a very common 'appeal to unknowns' apologetic. Sneering at those who actually come up with the better answers 95% is infantile, not the ones coming up with the best arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0pjFr_vS5U

What is even more ironic (But indeed, nothing to chuckle about) are the Believers who try to claim the benefits of science for religion because people who did scientific work (not religious work, which is refuted by research, not validated) often happened to have religious beliefs.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-28-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 11:46 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Somewhere in the last day or so, and I'm not about to invest time searching for it, Ozzy gave us a short summary of why he believes. I can sum it up with a sentence...."There must be a creator, look at all this stuff."

That apparently represents the depths to which he is willing to explore. The obvious questions and counter arguments have been presented to Ozzy numerous times, but rather than even consider any conflicting position, Ozzy changes the subject or fails to respond at all.

This has been the unchanging dynamic with him for a considerable length of time so it becomes increasingly harder to justify bothering with him.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Somewhere in the last day or so, and I'm not about to invest time searching for it, Ozzy gave us a short summary of why he believes. I can sum it up with a sentence...."There must be a creator, look at all this stuff."

That apparently represents the depths to which he is willing to explore. The obvious questions and counter arguments have been presented to Ozzy numerous times, but rather than even consider any conflicting position, Ozzy changes the subject or fails to respond at all.

This has been the unchanging dynamic with him for a considerable length of time so it becomes increasingly harder to justify bothering with him.
There's another dynamic to what would otherwise make Ozzy an 'irreligious Theist' (Aka Agnostic) and thus someone who COULD put himself down as a "None" and be in fact, on the atheist side rather that swiping at us all the time.

That dynamic is a very familiar one and comes in three sizes.

Ozzy size - an attachment to the Bible and religion they no longer believe and try to validate it through the "Bible has Good Things in" - it is important for a way to live or just a foundation of western culture.

The Bulmabrief size - belief in First -cause -god and feeling the need to reinforce this belief (often fielding I/D arguments) by selling it to atheists and taking it as a personal affront when we don't buy it.

The Arach size - those who detest "New" atheism for non -religious reasons. Dislike of left wing liberalism, usually. I remember clicking on a vid 'reasons to reject atheism'. First one 'Atheism is in favor of Big Government'. Unclick. What a crummy argument! But some do begin with that dynamic. They see us as a threat to the way of life they like.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-28-2018 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-28-2018, 12:34 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

There is no justification unless we look at ourselves and ask why we keep getting sucked in
Sort of like slowing down to look at a bad traffic accident. There's some morbid curiosity factor or we're just masochists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism