Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 PM

8,706 posts, read 3,890,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I did not say one single word about "control[ing] personal religious beliefs in someone’s home".
Fair enough - you personally did not say that. You did say, however, to keep religion ‘out of our daily lives’ when you said my way of fighting the bigger battle was ‘wrong’, which could be (and was) misconstrued as the desire to eradicate religion. There are atheists who believe that (and I’m just bringing it back to the thread).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 01:33 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,704,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I didn’t realize so many people are so sensitive. If true, how does this affect you? So get involved, be proactive about keeping religion out of schools, government, etc. But, how does mocking or bashing on a forum (even if it’s done in retaliation) accomplish anything? Personally, I don’t care what any Christian (or atheist) has to say about me. I don’t believe in a God, but I certainly don’t lead a life of crime and degradation. People can ‘say’ whatever they want. This post rather sounds like, ‘But Mom, he started it!’
I was just responding to the original question of why so many people hate atheists. It's because we are the object of hate propaganda, mostly from rabid deolaters. Would you like me to post links to printed hate propaganda? It's not hard. Hatred fills the collection plate.

Here's a mass media broadside for you to chew on.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/toda...s-into-silence

There are seven states where laws banning atheists from holding public office are still on the books.

Here's a lovely video attack on atheism, as a review of an anti-atheist hate screed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhr9TcrLq_w

If you don't think that affects you, just keep your mouth shut and your head down.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I was just responding to the original question of why so many people hate atheists. It's because we are the object of hate propaganda, mostly from rabid deolaters. Would you like me to post links to printed hate propaganda? It's not hard. Hatred fills the collection plate.

If you don't think that affects you, just keep your mouth shut and your head down.

Firstly, I have said all along religion does not belong in our government - and will continue to fight it. Some of us have the bigger picture in mind. But that’s not the discussion for the purpose of my point relating to this thread.

Secondly, I will not keep my mouth shut and my head down - to any useless rhetoric which only serves to exacerbate hatred (and threaten free speech), but that doesn’t mean I have to mock anyone for their personal beliefs. I am not a Christian, and I will continuously fight for the separation of church from our PUBLIC lives, but people’s personal opinions in a forum are another matter entirely. It’s incredibly short-sided and ineffective to get wrapped in personal, individual attacks - and misses the boat to really make a difference about an important issue.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-19-2019 at 02:11 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 PM

63,876 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
You're wrong. The real fight is keeping unwanted religion out of our daily lives. Doing that keeps it out of government and schools.
I don't think you realize that you have misspoken. Our daily lives are personal to us and are no business of society or government so religious beliefs in our daily lives have nothing to do with keeping it out of schools and government. There is no disagreement about the latter but significant disagreement about the former.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:38 PM

15,877 posts, read 6,346,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

Here's a mass media broadside for you to chew on.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/toda...s-into-silence

There are seven states where laws banning atheists from holding public office are still on the books.

Here's a lovely video attack on atheism, as a review of an anti-atheist hate screed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhr9TcrLq_w

I really think that's going to backfire in them with the internet and all. People meet up with someone they never would have been exposed to before. It's part of what kept the indoctrination from turning me into a drone. They told me "worldly people" where evil and just wanted to sin. Most of those worldly people seemed like better people than me for sure and most of the people in my group. All it takes is one lie to start the process of questioning or at least act as a buffer. The Noah's ark thing will probably work too if they belong to a Bible literalist group.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:40 PM

50,894 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't think you realize that you have misspoken. Our daily lives are personal to us and are no business of society or government so religious beliefs in our daily lives have nothing to do with keeping it out of schools and government. There is no disagreement about the latter but significant disagreement about the former.
Knock it off. Every time someone disagrees with you, you try to put them down with comments like "I don't think you realize that you have misspoken". Get off your high horse.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:25 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,213,996 times
Quote:
Firstly, I have said all along religion does not belong in our government - and will continue to fight it. Some of us have the bigger picture in mind. But that’s not the discussion for the purpose of my point relating to this thread.

Secondly, I will not keep my mouth shut and my head down - to any useless rhetoric which only serves to exacerbate hatred (and threaten free speech), but that doesn’t mean I have to mock anyone for their personal beliefs. I am not a Christian, and I will continuously fight for the separation of church from our PUBLIC lives, but people’s personal opinions in a forum are another matter entirely. It’s incredibly short-sided and ineffective to get wrapped in personal, individual attacks - and misses the boat to really make a difference about an important issue.
Sez you.

Political cartoonists have used parody and satire to effect political and cultural change for centuries.

We message board equivalents carry on their sacred duty, despite your finger-shaking disapproval.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:

And what differences have you made in this area?

Old 02-19-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
And what differences have you made in this area?
Are you going to judge my personal life, too? I’m not even a Christian. The topic in this forum is why atheists are hated - and I’m doing my best to voice my opinion as to why some of the attitudes here are not only ineffective, but detrimental - to what should be a united cause. It’s a forum, that’s what people do.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Are you going to judge my personal life, too? I’m not even a Christian. The topic in this forum is why atheists are hated - and I’m doing my best to voice my opinion as to why some of the attitudes here are not only ineffective, but detrimental - to what should be a united cause. It’s a forum, that’s what people do.
You are criticizing others for missing the boat because of the way the post.
Well, what boats have you caught?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism