Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:02 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,768,111 times

Advertisements

I can't say that I would believe any differently if I was maybe born in a secular home.......... I could say history is violent and the world is violent.........King Alfred, you remember ALFRED, the pheasant king, I think, the first king of England. He organized the peasants and surprised the Vikings. Violent ,Yes , But FREEDOM SPREAD. The peasants were worse off than slaves....this is how England grew up. But the sad part, in many ways is ,they turned right around and did what was done to them, to other countries. Not the Golden RULE taught by Jesus but the law of the biggest, meanest. The Law of the Jungle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 08:04 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
I can't say that I would believe any differently if I was maybe born in a secular home.......... I could say history is violent and the world is violent.........King Alfred, you remember ALFRED, the pheasant king, I think, the first king of England. He organized the peasants and surprised the Vikings. Violent ,Yes , But FREEDOM SPREAD. The peasants were worse off than slaves....this is how England grew up. But the sad part, in many ways is ,they turned right around and did what was done to them, to other countries. Not the Golden RULE taught by Jesus but the law of the biggest, meanest. The Law of the Jungle.
Did you have some point to impart?

Alfred, the pheasant king. ROFLOL

You might want to bone up on history. As what you present here is as fabulous as the bible is.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:10 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
There are some historical truths in the Bible, this has been proven, but otherwise it is, to me, parables for teaching and fantasies to explain what men back then could not explain otherwise.

(that was a very awkward sentence but I am too tired to fix it)

Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
The problem with the bible is it has been changed to meet the needs of “the day” by the organized church for the last two thousand years. Even in its original state it was more fiction than fact and a political tool for the government. Today it falls into a dangerous mythology used to justify killing, prejudice, and crimes against humanity. I don't accept much of it.
I THINK OVER THE YEARS, the powers that be have said the Bible was a dangerous book

Old 12-31-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post

You might want to bone up on history. As what you present here is as fabulous as the bible is.
yeah slavery or Freedom, will grow.......and we need to know the world is a violent place............how about you? do you find any thing in the Bible True? how about the Golden rule?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I read bible out of curiosity, i found majority of it to be boring, because majority of the bible is wars, killings and other cruelties.
There are historical places and events that might be true and probably are, but bible would be more believable, more "moral", if you take away all the gore and supernatural out of it, including Heaven and Hell. But then it would be a book of 10 pages.
somebody did take all the supernatural stuff out , was that Jefferson?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
I do believe the damn book exists, I also believe it has been used as the basis for some of the more horrific events that one group of humans has ever done to another group of humans. I believe it is seriously overrated and not a particularly good read. I believe a lot of it has been plagarized from the beliefs of lots of other groups. I also believe that I will probably never understand why anyone would take this book seriously. I believe that people who think that they, and they alone have the true interpretation are both dangerous and demented.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:03 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
yeah slavery or Freedom, will grow.......and we need to know the world is a violent place............how about you? do you find any thing in the Bible True? how about the Golden rule?
Odd to think of the golden rule in terms of being "true," but it was around far longer than the bible anyway.

And yes we know the world is a violent place. Historically and even today, much of the violence was inspired by religion.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post

oh what is your area of expertise..? and what is the source of your anger?

Old 01-01-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Odd to think of the golden rule in terms of being "true," but it was around far longer than the bible anyway.

And yes we know the world is a violent place. Historically and even today, much of the violence was inspired by religion.
was it the golden rule that ruined the world and made it such a violent place......when people found they could not follow the rule and started doing unto others what was done to them?........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism