Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:31 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
I am 100% against religions, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to be an agnostic or an atheist. Why do I have to follow other people's beliefs?!
You could be a Deist. Or non-denominational, or you could simply study god yourself. I have lots of Atheist/Agnostic friends and we ALLLL have vastly different beliefs... just because you don't believe in the god myth doesn't automatically put you in a perceived category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:51 PM

897 posts, read 1,591,561 times
The problem with Buddhism is that it is still a religion. Buddha himself was an atheist and his main philosophy was living in the moment but, like most prophets, his ideas have been perverted by a group of people who established a church in order to take advantage of other people.
Remember, anyone who claims to know what happens after you die is LYING. Atheism is based on fact and science which means that it will constantly change as theories are proven and disproven.
I've always considered myself an agnostic because I'm open to the idea of a higher being being out there but I have to admit that I can't picture this higher intelligence being an old white guy with a beard on a cloud. Based on the human characteristics that have been give to god in every book of religion that claims that there is a god to begin with, I'm more enclined to believe that god was made up by the religious leaders who claim to worship him.
When I was younger I subscribed to the belief that god was probably an alien (you have to admit that it's more logical to believe in aliens that it is to believe in god) and that our ancestors couldn't make heads or tails of him or his technology so they explained it away with magic. I read a lot of books like Chariots of the Gods and the like but I ended that hobby because, as I got older I realized that, if those books were true, then our race (the human race) is completely void of imagination which we know is not a fact.
Nowadays god is more of a distant hope that lingers thanks to my conditioning as a child. But if you need a higher being to make you a more productive and happy person, more power to you.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:04 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,930 times
Admittedly I only know the basic stuff when it come to Buddhist beliefs, but with the exception of reincarnation, I see little problems with it.

I don't believe in karma in a spiritual sense, but there can be some truth to it depending on how you look things:

If I'm a mean, nasty person to most everyone, there's a good chance somebody might show me that same attitude back or worse.

Likewise, if I'm a pretty nice person to most and do what I can to help people in need, they're more likely to return the favor if I ever needed it.

That's what I would call karma.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,470 times
Ever hear about what some of the Buddhist monks can do? I've heard of some of them being able to practically stop their heartbeat while being in intense prayers and some being able to heat a single spot on their hand. I saw it on the Discovery Channel once...pretty cool

Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
No god thing in Buddhism.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:50 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Interesting discussion, although I think many of the posters are missing the point.

It's true that being an atheist does not mean you are opposed to religion. The word comes by adding an alpha privative to the word "theist". In other words, and atheist is someone who is not a theist. This may include a range, from people who assert that there is no god, to people who say it is extremely unlikely that there is a god, to people who say they don't know if there is a god or not. In my book, all these are atheists, even those who prefer to call themselves agnostics.

From my perspective it is wrong to believe in things without evidence, including god. The same principle applies to all other supernatural or spiritual entities, such as angels, the nature gods of paganism and American Indian religions, and the "souls" that many religious people believe that humans have.

In other words, as an atheist I don't believe in gods, goddesses, angels, spirits, souls, or anything of that nature.

To the extent that, as some posters have suggested, Buddhism asserts a belief not in a supreme god, but in lesser spiritual entities, or in some kindof human soul that survives the physical death of a human being and is subsequently reincarnated, I would say that if you're not going to believe in god there is no reason to believe in that.

By the same token, people who talk about spirituality, or spiritual knowledge, or of being spiritual even though they're not religious, are, in my view, talking about imaginary entities and ideas.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
Buddhism is essentially an atheistic religion because it has no god figure.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times
Think Star Wars and the Force.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:55 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,930,583 times
We have a Buddhist temple near where I live. It's weird because it's right in the middle of an industrial park, so around all these cranes, equipment, and heavy trucks is this gold-roofed tower sticking up.

I've thought about stepping in a saying Hi occasionally. I don't know why.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
I lost an argument once when I said Buddhism was not a religion because it worshipped no god. In the end I had to admit that it was a religion, though it worshipped no god. I'm not even sure you can call it atheistic as it does believe in gods, but just doesn't think you can get off the wheel of rebirth by acts of faith or piety towards them. Your 'salvation' is in your own hands, though there does seem to be a belief that you can transfer good Karma into someone's account by pious deeds. Like giving money. That, in my book, is enough to make it a true, blue card - carrying, fully -paid - up religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism