Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,681 times

Advertisements

I think a big part of the problem is that Atheists in extremely religious environments tend to hide their beliefs, or the lack thereof. This prevents everyone from experiencing Atheists as normal, law abiding fellows. If everybody knew that, say: five of their 15 neighbors are Atheists, the "monster image" would crumble very fast. But presuming that everyone else around is a believer, because nobody tells them differently, makes people think of Atheists like something strange, i.e. nobody they know, and then you only need some churchy (and other) brain washing to believe that Atheists are monsters.

This sure is not helping the OP. I hope that he finds one of those girls who only hide the fact that they are nonbelievers. Some must be out there.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:31 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhaga View Post

My problem is what I see on their eyes when I say I don't believe in a god and that I'm not a religious person, I fell like they see a monster in me and I feel like they start considering me an empty, evil person. I also perceive fear, and no argument can possibly change the fact that they dismiss me almost immediately.
Look on the bright side -- it allows you to weed out the closed-minded and stupid ones.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Please. This thread's ridiculous

Girls actually consider you a "monster" if you are a very religious Christian/Catholic. They immediately go "eeeeww".

I've had this problem all these years.

But, that has not prevented me from landing the cream of the babe population. It takes some talents, mate. Try sweeping her off her feet

Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I've had this problem all these years.
Your religion isn't the problem that women have with you.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 AM

15 posts, read 21,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Your religion isn't the problem that women have with you.
lol

Old 10-14-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhaga View Post
lol
Ah, you're in Costa Rica. That explains it.

And don't laugh, mate. Cougar belongs to an elite league of Tony haters. <Waves at the league> Last thing you want to read is her commentary on me. It's biased

But we have a similar problem.

You know, when they find out you go to church every sunday, you won't put up with their 20,000 gay friends (who also happen to be nice, nicer than me??? ), you are not impressed with Obama and actually know what he's all about, which they don't, you take pot shots at Buddhism coz they just found a book at the airport during transit and claim to know all about it, and last but not least, you don't give a rat's bum about baby whales killed in Osaka, Japan...... they immediately move you atop the "arrogant" list and vanish.

All they need is a head-nodding biotch - "You know what, that's great, I love the polarbears, even the stuff they excrete"

I'm pretty sure Costa Rica women are similar, except it's a different ball game.

Babes, they're all the same.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:51 AM

Holy Polarbears! An infraction is on the way for Antlers 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 Dawkinsspeed. Flee ~~~~~~~~~~> T's left the building.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 AM

23 posts, read 25,985 times
Here it is from a lady... When a person really honestly believes what they believe, they tend to look at others as they they are "monsters." It doesn't matter what the issue is, anything from dating, parenting, schooling, and most importantly religious issues. All aspects of life people have opinions about, but some people are more open then others. If you are firm in your beliefs and are not open to others' then you need to find someone that is closeminded with your beliefs in hand. Now if you are open minded, then there are those that can believe in God and are still open minded. I believe what I believe because well that just me. I am also very open minded and absolutely love talking religion with others. But being enlightened to the realm of possibilities, you have to keep in mind that not everyone is enlightened and has an open mind about the workings of this world.

Always keep true to what ever it is that you believe and the right person will come to you, God or no God.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedharma View Post
Here it is from a lady... When a person really honestly believes what they believe, they tend to look at others as they they are "monsters." It doesn't matter what the issue is, anything from dating, parenting, schooling, and most importantly religious issues. All aspects of life people have opinions about, but some people are more open then others. If you are firm in your beliefs and are not open to others' then you need to find someone that is closeminded with your beliefs in hand. Now if you are open minded, then there are those that can believe in God and are still open minded. I believe what I believe because well that just me. I am also very open minded and absolutely love talking religion with others. But being enlightened to the realm of possibilities, you have to keep in mind that not everyone is enlightened and has an open mind about the workings of this world.

Always keep true to what ever it is that you believe and the right person will come to you, God or no God.
I'm currently in regular acquaintance with a woman who's a self-proclaimed atheist. She was raised catholic, but no more, and she is pretty open minded and loves to talk about religion. She just won't practise it.

And problem is she likes me more than I like her. My sulking attitude wholly rests on the fact that she and I can never go to church together, if we're getting "involved" for good. Otherwise, I'd have settled it all by now. And I come up with a handful of excuses on why I cannot keep a meeting commitment. I tend to be close-minded and am currently struggling with it.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 AM

23 posts, read 25,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm currently in regular acquaintance with a woman who's a self-proclaimed atheist. She was raised catholic, but no more, and she is pretty open minded and loves to talk about religion. She just won't practise it.

And problem is she likes me more than I like her. My sulking attitude wholly rests on the fact that she and I can never go to church together, if we're getting "involved" for good. Otherwise, I'd have settled it all by now. And I come up with a handful of excuses on why I cannot keep a meeting commitment. I tend to be close-minded and am currently struggling with it.
There is nothing wrong with being closed minded, whatever floats your boat. It is very important that when you believe something that it is held true in your heart. I can not give advice about relationships and whether you should or should not be in one.

I am agnostic, and yes I do attend church services on occasion, so to say never is hard word to coupe with.

The truth is, if the religious factors are keeping you from being honest with her, well you just need to be honest with her. I am a firm believer in telling people how you feel, no matter how complex the situation is. Relationships are very complex, and you must seek truth within yourself first before you can seek truth with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism