Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:45 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times

Advertisements

Hummmmmm, well, I can only speak from my own experience, .......more girls,(and women too) are attracted to the "bad boy" image than they are to the whimpy little saintly guys. I don't know how old you are but, it will get better in your early 20's, it certainly did for me. Yeah, I know that all religious guys are not necessarily whimpy or overtly saintly-istic, but stick to your beliefs, or more properly, the lack thereof, you will feel better about yourself in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 08:50 PM

15 posts, read 21,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Are you sure it's them and not you? Maybe you think they'll see you as a "monster" so you look for the signs of it in any little abnormality.

I have beliefs, but I do not practice any religion in particular. I respect others' thinking whether they believe or not. I would hope that if we met you would not assume that I automatically thought you were bad.

Have a little faith - in people.
hmm no I don't think it's me, I can see it in their eyes... the last girl I date a week ago was raised as catholic but she does no longer believe in a "church" but only in god. As soon as I answered the question "do you believe in god?" she completely changed and started shooting questions like "then what are you gonna teach your sons and daughters?, etc.."

Old 10-04-2009, 09:20 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhaga View Post
hmm no I don't think it's me, I can see it in their eyes... the last girl I date a week ago was raised as catholic but she does no longer believe in a "church" but only in god. As soon as I answered the question "do you believe in god?" she completely changed and started shooting questions like "then what are you gonna teach your sons and daughters?, etc.."
Well, I think there are many many misconceptions about atheism. I had a friend who thought atheism was devil worshipping. The word just carries such a negative connotation.

Have you ever asked any of these girls questions following their reactions?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
I thought Latin America had something of an irreligious/humanist element among the intelligentsia. Are there any secular colleges near you? (Or would those type of gals be more Marxist-leaning than you want?)

Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,562,070 times
Quote:
Hi, this is my first post but I've been reading the Atheism and Agnosticism forum for a while.

I got here because of one reason and I don't seem to find an answer nowhere so I hope someone can help me.

I'm 26, when I meet a girl everything goes just fine until she starts talking about god. I live in Costa Rica, it's what I'd call a catholic country (even though catholic church is losing followers real fast because people is switching mostly to evangelical churches), it's not easy to find atheist/agnostic people (I've never tried it though) therefore I always end up dating a believer...

My problem is what I see on their eyes when I say I don't believe in a god and that I'm not a religious person, I fell like they see a monster in me and I feel like they start considering me an empty, evil person. I also perceive fear, and no argument can possibly change the fact that they dismiss me almost immediately.

I always say I don't need a religion or fearing a god to be a good person.
I don't drink or smoke, I'm not a "party boy", I have a good job and go to college, I love running and go to gym to be healthy but none of this things help when you say you are a non believer.

I will definitely not join a religion to make people happy... I won't live a lie just to fit in so please share what you think and how to avoid feeling this way cause this is killing me =/

When I was in my early teens over sixty years ago I was invited to a group gathering at the home of one of the female students in one of my classes. After we had eaten and were meandering around talking about games we might play the girl asked everyone to join in and sing some church song they all seemed to know. I was evidently the only one there who didn't know the words to the song so I just stood there till they finished. She raked me over the coals right there before all the kids and told me not to come back to her house until I learned that hymn. Well I didn't and about five years later after I was working on a pretty good job and had a new convertible I ran into her and we began to talk. For about a year I picked her up on Tuesdays after she finished choir practice at the church and took her to a well known lover's lane where we got down to business. Keep your chin up. Things change.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:58 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Keep your chin up. Things change.
I can relate to that! I met my partner at a night club. When I asked her to dance she looked at me and told me to 'Go forth and multiply' (or words to that effect)...we've been together now for 10 years!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 AM

15 posts, read 21,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Have you ever asked any of these girls questions following their reactions?
yes I had but I don't want to scare them more, what I do is try to prove them that behaving good or bad depends on our moral/ethics more than on religion or fearing going to hell... I always use the jail example (atheists consist of about 10-15% of the US population but are only 0.21% of the prison populations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I thought Latin America had something of an irreligious/humanist element among the intelligentsia. Are there any secular colleges near you?
Not that I'm aware of... but right now there is something interesting going on:
"The Bishops’ Conference of Costa Rica announced Thursday that it completely rejects a bill that would modify the country’s constitution, remove a clause that establishes the Catholic faith as the Costa Rica’s religion and eliminate any reference to God in legal oaths. http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=17152"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
After we had eaten and were meandering around talking about games we might play the girl asked everyone to join in and sing some church song they all seemed to know
lol that should have been a funny surprise ... thanks for the advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
When I asked her to dance she looked at me and told me to 'Go forth and multiply'
hmm I think you were lucky

By the way, yesterday I was having lunch with my mom (believer) and I asked her: "what would you do if god ask you to kill your son or daughter?"... she said she would do it!!! hahah so I asked her back: "how would you be able to know that it's actually god talking to you and not your imagination/dreams, etc.?"... then she said she wouldn't know the difference but that she really hopes it never happens!!

I'm glad I live some miles away from her

Old 10-05-2009, 07:40 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
When I asked her to dance she looked at me and told me to 'Go forth and multiply' (or words to that effect)...
I prefer NonStampCollector's version: "Go and know yourself" .

Old 10-10-2009, 04:27 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,562,070 times
[quote=zhaga;11051322
I'm glad I live some miles away from her [/quote]

I Hear'd That!

Old 10-11-2009, 12:47 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
yes I had but I don't want to scare them more, what I do is try to prove them that behaving good or bad depends on our moral/ethics more than on religion or fearing going to hell... I always use the jail example (atheists consist of about 10-15% of the US population but are only 0.21% of the prison populations).
WOW! You 'aint gonna dazzle 'em with scintillating conversations about prison populations dude!

If want to get into their pants, try telling them how good they look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism