Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,864,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta/Many Atlantans have a very irrational attitude towards nightlife, nightclubs, and bars.

And it is the vibrancy/dynamism of this great city that ends up being the ultimate loser.
That's not true at all. Atlanta has long welcomed nightlife, nightclubs and bars. Many of them have been virtual institutions and have been known far and wide. Atlantans have always embraced vibrancy and dynamism.

That's not at all what people object to. What people object to is rowdyism, violence and disrespect of their neighborhoods.

The idea that "dynamic nightlife" and "partying" and "the urban experience" are somehow synonymous with late night cruising with loud stereos, shooting and stabbing people, trashing the streets, loud cursing, selling drugs, etc., is a truly bizarre redneck notion. None of that has anything whatsoever to do with creating or fostering urban environments or big league, polished, livable cities. To the contrary, it's directly destructive of cities and urban living.

If someone can explain how things like late night cruising, loud stereos, fights, shootings, trashing the streets, loud cursing, selling drugs, and public urination are good for cities, I'd like to hear it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 PM

23,509 posts, read 44,187,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
You go girl! Score those brownie points.

Honest question: Do you go places where you know there is a chance you'd get shot? I didn't think so.

These are private owners who can do whatever the f they want with their property. They are tying to turn around a failed development are simply acknowledging the realities. You should be grateful for their investment. Would you rather them pretend like nothing was wrong and let the place go under?

Besides, I'm sure you can really relate to the owners of AS. After all, St. Simons and Druid Hills are so dangerous.
Oh, are we going to get personal, SLWB? No judgment call on my part; I simply picked up on the msg that they were trying to convey. And if you knew anything about my POV, you would know that I am completely simpatica to the plight of property owners in AS and don't blame them one bit for trying to improve the situation. So back off, fire up a few brain cells and try to understand where people in this forum are coming from (our posting histories are all there at the touch of a keystroke) instead of having your predictable knee jerk reaction to anything that doesn't resemble a slice of Merita bread.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:37 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,544,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I would bet the well-heeled denizens of Buckhead would say that the giant unifinished development sitting there looking like crap for years is better than what was there. Just guessing...
Yes b/c white collar crime is acceptable compared to people shooting in the streets.It's not like those well-heeled denizens were partying in Buckhead Village anyway.

While I agree crime (mostly the shootings) got worse to the police credit they really amplified their presence.

Quote:
Like it or hate it, you're right, that's the way it went down. Can ya really blame the neighbors for wanting to clean up their neighborhood? It's a shame, really, back in the 80s and early 90s the Village was a fun place to be. But it simply got out of hand. And, no, "code" has / had nothing to do with it.
What a lot of these Buckhead residents don't know is exactly how this happened so let me tell you.

Buckhead village was mostly a young white party area and most of the young black kids hung around downtown, especially a club called the 559 which was on Ashby Street near the AUC. To be completely honest most nights it was chaos in the entire area, damn near lawlessness. Shootings, robberies, you name it it happened. It wasn't in the news b/c it was in an undesirable area near Bankhead, not Buckhead. There simply was no fuss, no headlines for all the crime that happened here.

Well one night a fire broke out and the 559 burned down and the owner never rebuilt it. All these young kids had nowhere to go and seemingly overnight, they started going to Buckhead village. Most cruised around the 559 and didn't enter the club so they actually did the same here, cruised instead of walked.

And everything changed.

Buckhead residents probably had no idea what the hell happened and why the influx of people started to come here. Well that is the story, it was the Club 559. Since this area was Buckhead, the people were now under a microscope compared to the dilapidated area around the 559. Residents were not going to stand for this garbage!

It is sad that there were those shootings/violence and the area changed. I MISS THAT RAY'S PIZZA!!!

Relating it to A/S its nothing like either, A/S is A/S and IMO seems pretty damn tame to me.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,416,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Yes b/c white collar crime is acceptable compared to people shooting in the streets.It's not like those well-heeled denizens were partying in Buckhead Village anyway.

While I agree crime (mostly the shootings) got worse to the police credit they really amplified their presence.

What a lot of these Buckhead residents don't know is exactly how this happened so let me tell you.

Buckhead village was mostly a young white party area and most of the young black kids hung around downtown, especially a club called the 559 which was on Ashby Street near the AUC. To be completely honest most nights it was chaos in the entire area, damn near lawlessness. Shootings, robberies, you name it it happened. It wasn't in the news b/c it was in an undesirable area near Bankhead, not Buckhead. There simply was no fuss, no headlines for all the crime that happened here.

Well one night a fire broke out and the 559 burned down and the owner never rebuilt it. All these young kids had nowhere to go and seemingly overnight, they started going to Buckhead village. Most cruised around the 559 and didn't enter the club so they actually did the same here, cruised instead of walked.

And everything changed.

Buckhead residents probably had no idea what the hell happened and why the influx of people started to come here. Well that is the story, it was the Club 559. Since this area was Buckhead, the people were now under a microscope compared to the dilapidated area around the 559. Residents were not going to stand for this garbage!

It is sad that there were those shootings/violence and the area changed. I MISS THAT RAY'S PIZZA!!!

Relating it to A/S its nothing like either, A/S is A/S and IMO seems pretty damn tame to me.
And I miss the old Steamhouse Lounge, Peachtree Cafe, etc. Great places. But, ya can't blame the Buckhead residents for wanting to calm down the scene, Club 559 or otherwise. And, ya know, even I would prefer white collar crime to being shot. Ouch!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:45 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,544,944 times
Quote:
And I miss the old Steamhouse Lounge, Peachtree Cafe, etc. Great places. But, ya can't blame the Buckhead residents for wanting to calm down the scene, Club 559 or otherwise. And, ya know, even I would prefer white collar crime to being shot. Ouch!
lmfao, not if you lost a substantial amount of cash, its like being shot 10 times

If they moved swiftly to fix Buckhead Village and the development was done years ago as planned, well no one could get to mad that they wanted to replace clubs with high end stores etc.

Today what we have is an ugly eyesore, a closed ESPN zone and residents who think it was just to get rid of clubs with no plan.

I just hope they don't rush to fix it and give this prime real estate and area the development it deserves.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
lmfao, not if you lost a substantial amount of cash, its like being shot 10 times

If they moved swiftly to fix Buckhead Village and the development was done years ago as planned, well no one could get to mad that they wanted to replace clubs with high end stores etc.

Today what we have is an ugly eyesore, a closed ESPN zone and residents who think it was just to get rid of clubs with no plan.

I just hope they don't rush to fix it and give this prime real estate and area the development it deserves.
We can all agree with you on that (well not that first sentence!!!! )

Old 05-11-2011, 12:54 PM

16,721 posts, read 29,591,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's not true at all. Atlanta has long welcomed nightlife, nightclubs and bars. Many of them have been virtual institutions and have been known far and wide. Atlantans have always embraced vibrancy and dynamism.

That's not at all what people object to. What people object to is rowdyism, violence and disrespect of their neighborhoods.

The idea that "dynamic nightlife" and "partying" and "the urban experience" are somehow synonymous with late night cruising with loud stereos, shooting and stabbing people, trashing the streets, loud cursing, selling drugs, etc., is a truly bizarre redneck notion. None of that has anything whatsoever to do with creating or fostering urban environments or big league, polished, livable cities. To the contrary, it's directly destructive of cities and urban living.

If someone can explain how things like late night cruising, loud stereos, fights, shootings, trashing the streets, loud cursing, selling drugs, and public urination are good for cities, I'd like to hear it.

Brother Arjay,

Yes, Atlanta has traditionally embraced vibrancy and dynamism. But not since 2004.

I never mentioned anything about late-night cruising, shootings, etc.

Other posters have mentioned what Atlanta needs to do to ensure a vibrant nightlife (increase police patrols, etc.). Shutting down clubs is not one of them.

The items you remarked about in your last paragraph are not synonymous with a vibrant nightlife--or with having nightclubs. I have lived, worked, and traveled extensively abroad and here in the U.S. For many of us, it is not hard to imagine what Atlanta needs to do to have a dynamic nightlife. Unfortunately, provincial, non-worldly attitudes will keep holding this city back.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Brother Arjay,

Yes, Atlanta has traditionally embraced vibrancy and dynamism. But not since 2004.

I never mentioned anything about late-night cruising, shootings, etc.

Other posters have mentioned what Atlanta needs to do to ensure a vibrant nightlife (increase police patrols, etc.). Shutting down clubs is not one of them.

The items you remarked about in your last paragraph are not synonymous with a vibrant nightlife--or with having nightclubs. I have lived, worked, and traveled extensively abroad and here in the U.S. For many of us, it is not hard to imagine what Atlanta needs to do to have a dynamic nightlife. Unfortunately, provincial, non-worldly attitudes will keep holding this city back.
Maybe I'm just too old to "get it", but why are all those things arjay noted as as, well, distasteful (for lack of a better word), necessary for a vibrant nightlife? Just what is a vibrant nightlife? My guess is that "vibrant" means something different to different people (my idea of vibrant is watching House Hunters International at 10.00 pm without falling asleep...). But seriously, why must vibrant be something that requires extra police????? That doesn't make sense to me.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 PM

23,509 posts, read 44,187,501 times
Why is it that when we enter into a conversation about Buckhead on this forum class envy and the same old tired stereotypes about who lives there inevitably enter the conversation?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Why is it that when we enter into a conversation about Buckhead on this forum class envy and the same old tired stereotypes about who lives there inevitably enter the conversation?
Because, LovinDecatur, those folks live there. I think you answered your own question. Drive a short distance from the Village, and you'll see the multi-million homes on large lots. There are people that live there. It's not a stereotype. It's reality. Those are many of the folks that mold and nurture Atlanta's businesses, that donate very, very much to Atlanta causes (including parks, aquariums, real estate developments, etc.). Those are largely the folks that have economically built this city and still control its industry. For that reason, they are important, and thus must be a part of the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta