Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Maybe I'm just too old to "get it", but why are all those things arjay noted as as, well, distasteful (for lack of a better word), necessary for a vibrant nightlife? Just what is a vibrant nightlife? My guess is that "vibrant" means something different to different people (my idea of vibrant is watching House Hunters International at 10.00 pm without falling asleep...). But seriously, why must vibrant be something that requires extra police????? That doesn't make sense to me.
Um...that's the point I was trying to make--those elements that arjay mentioned are not necessary (and/or synonymous) for a vibrant nightlife. Was I unclear?

The extra police (in the initial stages) could be helpful in getting Atlanta to the next stages of a vibrant nightlife--without having to shut clubs/bars down.

Extra police to ensure nightlife/non-closings --> More vibrant city/nightlife --> More city investment/more residents/more urban-city-nightlife appeal --> Safer, more vibrant city --> Less police needed --> Vibrant city/nightlife still intact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The idea that "dynamic nightlife" and "partying" and "the urban experience" are somehow synonymous with late night cruising with loud stereos, shooting and stabbing people, trashing the streets, loud cursing, selling drugs, etc., ...

If someone can explain how things like late night cruising, loud stereos, fights, shootings, trashing the streets, loud cursing, selling drugs, and public urination are good for cities, I'd like to hear it.

Who declared/said all this, arjay?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post

Since this area was Buckhead, the people were now under a microscope compared to the dilapidated area around the 559. Residents were not going to stand for this garbage!
Well, I'm not sure raising objections after 4-5 years of trashing the streets, drug dealing, massive cruising and a dozen murders is exactly putting anyone under a microscope. After a while, when it keeps going despite begging from the community and the police are unable and/or unwilling to do anything about it, enough is enough.

This stuff is abusive redneckery and it has nothing to do with urban living.

And why keep stomping on the communities that pay the city's bills? Over 75% of the city's tax base is in six NPU's.

Is there any remote chance Atlanta could ever be a big league city without that?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:50 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The items you remarked about in your last paragraph are not synonymous with a vibrant nightlife--or with having nightclubs. I have lived, worked, and traveled extensively abroad and here in the U.S. For many of us, it is not hard to imagine what Atlanta needs to do to have a dynamic nightlife.
Therein lies the problem, aries. Atlantans in Buckhead and Midtown aren't opposed to nightlife or nightclubs. Clubs and bars are routinely approved in both areas and have thrived for decades.

What people do object to is a bunch of stupid, hee-haw style behavior in their communities. Shooting people, trashing the streets, cruising and selling drugs is *NOT* urban, vibrant or dynamic in any way. It's just plain stupid and disrespectful of city life. Take that crap back out to the boondocks.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Therein lies the problem, aries. Atlantans in Buckhead and Midtown aren't opposed to nightlife or nightclubs. Clubs and bars are routinely approved in both areas and have thrived for decades.

What people do object to is a bunch of stupid, hee-haw style behavior in their communities. Shooting people, trashing the streets, cruising and selling drugs is *NOT* urban, vibrant or dynamic in any way. It's just plain stupid and disrespectful of city life. Take that crap back out to the boondocks.
Well, look at some of what the other posters have suggested and what I have suggested above:

There is a way to ensure vibrancy, nightlife, and dynamism without having to shut everything down.

I don't know why you keep linking your "elements" with vibrancy and a great nightlife. Travel/live abroad, my good son!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:06 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Um...that's the point I was trying to make--those elements that arjay mentioned are not necessary (and/or synonymous) for a vibrant nightlife. Was I unclear?

The extra police (in the initial stages) could be helpful in getting Atlanta to the next stages of a vibrant nightlife--without having to shut clubs/bars down.

Extra police to ensure nightlife/non-closings --> More vibrant city/nightlife --> More city investment/more residents/more urban-city-nightlife appeal --> Safer, more vibrant city --> Less police needed --> Vibrant city/nightlife still intact
I'm sorry - I clearly misunderstood your post. Apologies!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 PM

What should be Atlanta's nightclub/bar closing times:

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: Until 4am (afterhours clubs until 10am)

Wednesday, Thursday: Until 6am (afterhours clubs until 11am)

Friday, Saturday: Until 8am (afterhours clubs until 11:45am)

Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry - I clearly misunderstood your post. Apologies!
Sem problema!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:12 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Because, LovinDecatur, those folks live there. I think you answered your own question. Drive a short distance from the Village, and you'll see the multi-million homes on large lots. There are people that live there. It's not a stereotype. It's reality. Those are many of the folks that mold and nurture Atlanta's businesses, that donate very, very much to Atlanta causes (including parks, aquariums, real estate developments, etc.). Those are largely the folks that have economically built this city and still control its industry. For that reason, they are important, and thus must be a part of the conversation.
And I appreciate that, and do not refer to anything you have said in this thread. But my reaction was to earlier comments that suggested, among other things, that Buckhead residents condone white-collar crime. Because, after all, isn't that the only way to get rich in this world?
Class envy. Tired stereotype.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:13 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
What should be Atlanta's nightclub/bar closing times:

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: Until 4am (afterhours clubs until 10am)

Wednesday, Thursday: Until 6am (afterhours clubs until 11am)

Friday, Saturday: Until 8am (afterhours clubs until 11:45am)
2am or so. But, 8am??? I am sure that drunken driving accidents would soar. My Big Mama always said that nothing good happens after midnight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta