Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:27 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,324,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm sure there was zero crime on Lenox Road prior to the train station opening.
That's bizarre. Do you have a source for that?

My impression is that crime was very low, but not zero, before the Marta trains were built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,324,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Okay. But if they didn't take the train or the bus I don't see how MARTA is tied into it.
Marta brought the criminal element to Buckhead from the South side of town. As predicted.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,309,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Marta brought the criminal element to Buckhead from the South side of town. As predicted.
You can't have it both ways.

One side of your mouth is saying MARTA brought crime.

The other side of your mouth is saying the criminals don't use MARTA.

So, how is MARTA to blame for the alleged rise in crime?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 AM

23,489 posts, read 44,146,303 times
Quote:
And how exactly did MARTA bring the 'criminal element' into Cobb, Gwinnett, Henry, Douglas, Fayette, et al? Because they certainly got there without the help of heavy rail.
removed - don't make it personal

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-18-2011 at 09:40 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 11:40 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,351,396 times
Quote:
Lenox Heights Condos are a mile from the nearest Marta station. I don't see someone realistically carrying more than a few GPS units and sunglasses that distance. A cop sees a dude walking on the side of the road in the night w/ a pillow sack full of booty and they're getting stopped. All but the poorest of criminals can afford serviceable cars. The ones that can't steal them.

There's a pretty bad petty crime element in Gwinnett too. I had my cars broken into twice (once in Duluth and another in Norcross). They never got more than $50 worth of stuff vs. significantly more damage to the car. My brother got his window smashed in Lilburn but he probably came out of Home Depot before they got in. In HS in Snellville, someone broke into 50 cars in one afternoon and stole one too. My old boss had his car stolen behind his own restaurant in Lilburn...they later recovered it after it was driven through the window of a shoe store and abandoned after a chase. As far as I can tell none of them got there via Marta.

There were even issues w/ car break ins when I lived for a short time in Vinings. Seems people don't realize that really bad parts of town are only a stone's throw away. The poorest areas of Atlanta are 5-10 miles from the richest parts so do you really think it takes a rail system to have property crime?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:40 AM

8,487 posts, read 15,015,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Because wheverer Marta goes increased crime goes with it.

I'm not even sure where to begin with this. If you believe that nonsense, you would be well served to move somewhere where MARTA doesn't go like Forsyth County or Willacoochee Georgia. You'll definitely feel safer there knowing that there is zero chance of scary MARTA bus or train carrying criminals to your doorstep.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:59 AM

714 posts, read 814,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm not even sure where to begin with this. If you believe that nonsense, you would be well served to move somewhere where MARTA doesn't go like Forsyth County or Willacoochee Georgia. You'll definitely feel safer there knowing that there is zero chance of scary MARTA bus or train carrying criminals to your doorstep.
Who said I was scared? Im an experienced gun user and owner, remember?

Despite their best efforts thugs dont run this city just yet. In fact, from what I read, the demographics are rapidly changing to favor non-thugs. Such excellent news, I think I shall stay put.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And how exactly did MARTA bring the 'criminal element' into Cobb, Gwinnett, Henry, Douglas, Fayette, et al? Because they certainly got there without the help of heavy rail.
removed

Im waiting for the 1rst comment to say , "Its because GRTA runs Xpress buses during rush hrs, why the counties you listed have crime now" lol

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-18-2011 at 09:40 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 07:48 PM

283 posts, read 375,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Who said I was scared? Im an experienced gun user and owner, remember?

Despite their best efforts thugs dont run this city just yet. In fact, from what I read, the demographics are rapidly changing to favor non-thugs. Such excellent news, I think I shall stay put.
The only thing I can say about this is no matter how many guns you own or how experienced you are in using them, you'll never hear the shot or blow that kills ya.

The rest of your post doesn't deserve further comment.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,109,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
removed.
This argument is foolish, since you could also argue that Cobb, Gwinnett, Henry, etc. would be much worse if MARTA had expanded into those areas.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-18-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta