Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:50 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,179 times

Advertisements

I got to thinking about it and it made me so mad I just made my own. This took me about 30 minutes:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
I got to thinking about it and it made me so mad I just made my own. This took me about 30 minutes
I'm not fond of the slogan, but you proved that a better and simpler design can be had easily. The more I see the new plates with the pumpkins on them, the more I really dislike them.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:03 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
What is the big deal? Heck I still have my old plates (3 designs ago) on my car with annual renewal stickers. I keep the plates cover protected and they still look brand new. It's a darn license plate. Go to Florida for example, they have more plate designs than Carter has liver pills. For that matter you can to to the State website and pick anything from the Humane Society, to retired military, to University plates. Folks are arguing about a plate on a car. Isn't like the days of old where you had standard stamped tags, all looking alike, today even our plates have become designer vogue.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:09 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
I agree it's just a plate on a car for identification. I'm not arguing about it, and just bought a vehicle for my son that will get one of them in the next week or so, but that doesn't mean I can't dislike it. The design to me is not one that's a positive one for the state, and I personally dislike it.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
I got to thinking about it and it made me so mad I just made my own. This took me about 30 minutes:
I like how you incorporated most ALL of Georgia landscapes (city, beach, mountains), except this time the farms are left out! Lol cool though...

Old 06-03-2012, 04:16 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Your gradient from light blue to dark blue is gorgeous. See? It isn't that hard to come up with something more appealing. "GEORGIA" being right-justified on the new plates is utterly ridiculous, as is a white strip for the county placed over what is supposed to be a green area of the plate.

For all of you who say "who cares", what is it that does matter? What is the voice or the face of Georgia as a state compared to the other 49 states? It is somewhat of a competition whether you admit it or not. That's why I'm so disappointed in Georgia's error-laden and crooked highway signs (like every dot has fallen off every "i" on I-75 in Cobb). The license plate, the big green overhead signs, spaghetti junction and other aspects of the built infrastructure ARE GEORGIA. That's all we have to express our little corner of civilization.

I think the license are hugely important and also are ambassadors of the state when motorists are traveling.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:59 PM

13 posts, read 17,553 times
From a Graphic Artist's point of view:

I thought the chosen new plate design looked okay at first, but among the group of finalists I think I had it placed somewhere in the middle of the pack. Now that I've seen it "in the wild", I get the impression that no one actually did any sort of field testing on it. Did anyone at any point of this plate's conception make a mock-up and stick it on a car and check out how it looks on the street from the inside of another car? Did they ever consult law enforcement? A license plate design requires instant identification from 20-plus feet in distance, and if you have to stop and think even for a second about what you're looking at and what it's supposed to represent, it needs to go back to the drawing board. Even though I already knew what it was after seeing it for the first few times, I had to squint to figure out what was going on in the background. The state name stands out barely enough, but could stand to be a bit bolder. The county names are too weak. The "Peach State" and tree are muddy and difficult to read. And the worst offense: those pumpkin-looking peaches. Yes, the design looks nice close up on a computer screen, but sadly it's not very effective in its working environment. And the plain alternative plates look like a dull afterthought thrown in at the last second to appease those who can't stand the new plate.

Next time around, if the state wants to have another contest, I suggest they get their entries from reputable design firms and come up with a group of solid-well-thought-out designs that will produce a winner no matter which one is chosen.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlAl View Post
From a Graphic Artist's point of view:

I thought the chosen new plate design looked okay at first, but among the group of finalists I think I had it placed somewhere in the middle of the pack. Now that I've seen it "in the wild", I get the impression that no one actually did any sort of field testing on it. Did anyone at any point of this plate's conception make a mock-up and stick it on a car and check out how it looks on the street from the inside of another car? Did they ever consult law enforcement? A license plate design requires instant identification from 20-plus feet in distance, and if you have to stop and think even for a second about what you're looking at and what it's supposed to represent, it needs to go back to the drawing board. Even though I already knew what it was after seeing it for the first few times, I had to squint to figure out what was going on in the background. The state name stands out barely enough, but could stand to be a bit bolder. The county names are too weak. The "Peach State" and tree are muddy and difficult to read. And the worst offense: those pumpkin-looking peaches. Yes, the design looks nice close up on a computer screen, but sadly it's not very effective in its working environment. And the plain alternative plates look like a dull afterthought thrown in at the last second to appease those who can't stand the new plate.

Next time around, if the state wants to have another contest, I suggest they get their entries from reputable design firms and come up with a group of solid-well-thought-out designs that will produce a winner no matter which one is chosen.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta