Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,878 times

Advertisements

Thank god we don't have front plate requirement here. In fact, it is a deal breaker to me when dealers drill plate holes in the front bumper to put their advertising plate on it (also the dumb dealer sticker on the back of the trunk). Plus it kills the aesthetics of certain cars.

I get that some have law enforcement concerns, but we have sufficient technology today to not necessitate having the front plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Not sure what law enforcement purpose it serves. Most other states don't include the county names and they don't have issues. To me, not having a front plate is a much more real and bigger law enforcement issue, yet states like GA continue to use one plate.

Last edited by nrgpill; 05-18-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 AM

847 posts, read 1,458,136 times
Quote:
Not sure what law enforcement purpose it serves. Most other states don't include the county names and they don't have issues. To me, not having a front plate is a much more real and bigger law enforcement issue, yet states like GA continue to use one plate.
I'm not sure what purpose it serves either, but I have heard that on more than one occasion. If anything, I think it causes some to stereotype or pass judgment on someone simply because of the county on their plate.

At one of my old jobs, I worked a claim that occurred in the parking lot of a post office in Alpharetta. One of the drivers had the nerve to say, "The other driver had a DeKalb tag. What was she doing up here? I think she was just here to try to commit fraud". When I tried to point out that countless people work in Alpharetta and live elsewhere, she wasn't try to hear it.

As far as the front plate thing goes, one of the first things that I did when I moved here from California was take the front plate off of my car at that time. I can see the front plate thing helping with identification, but some cars look rather goofy with a front plate. My current car came with one of those front plate things that had a dealer plate in it, but I promptly replaced that with something of my choosing.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:26 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times
We can't require front tags here. UGA would lose too much merchandising from sales of front license plates.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
Thank god we don't have front plate requirement here. In fact, it is a deal breaker to me when dealers drill plate holes in the front bumper to put their advertising plate on it (also the dumb dealer sticker on the back of the trunk). Plus it kills the aesthetics of certain cars .
I said there were law enforcement concerns. Frankly, how it affects the aesthetics shouldn't be a concern to law enforcement, and although I don't know the exact number, something like 40 states don't care either.

How your car looks has nothing to do with safety or law enforcement. This is the same silly argument people try to make for having window tint that is way too dark on their car. It's not about you.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Completely missed the point -technology exists today to not warrant a front plate. If no one cared for aesthetics, why do we even shop for cars? And what does other states have anything to do with this?

Nobody is saying they want to make it hard for the law enforcement, but we are not in the business to empower them either. They have the technology, they should use it.

Quote:
I said there were law enforcement concerns. Frankly, how it affects the aesthetics shouldn't be a concern to law enforcement, and although I don't know the exact number, something like 40 states don't care either.

How your car looks has nothing to do with safety or law enforcement. This is the same silly argument people try to make for having window tint that is way too dark on their car. It's not about you.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:09 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
I agree, and I've always thought it strange that GA only requires a plate in front. Sorry, a "tag" in front.

(Where I grew up, a "tag" was something you stuck on your "plate" every year)

Old 05-18-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Completely missed the point -technology exists today to not warrant a front plate. If no one cared for aesthetics, why do we even shop for cars? And what does other states have anything to do with this?
How do cops ID a car in GA if they only see the front? Does the tech exist to read the VID plate from a distance?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:19 AM

drones today can read a barcode on the ground. If you were to apply the same tech on the ground level (like traffic cams), I think it's entirely feasible to implement. Besides, the govt is about to implement black boxes into new cars in a few years (2015) and most new cars today already have some sort of tracking mechanism (GPS / Onstar). So, why do we need more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How do cops ID a car in GA if they only see the front? Does the tech exist to read the VID plate from a distance?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
drones today can read a barcode on the ground. If you were to apply the same tech on the ground level (like traffic cams), I think it's entirely feasible to implement. Besides, the govt is about to implement black boxes into new cars in a few years (2015) and most new cars today already have some sort of tracking mechanism (GPS / Onstar). So, why do we need more?
Yep, those drones will be all over as thick as flies.

Hypothetical situation: Someone tries to hit me in the Kroger parking lot, and all I see is the front of the car. It's a very common make and model.

Right now, in GA, I can't even verify what state the car was licensed from because the front doesn't tell me anything.

In many other states, I could tell you it was a local or nonlocal plate and maybe (if I'm lucky and/or observant enough) give you some of the info on the plate itself.

Some police units in GA have the ability to drive through parking lots and automatically ID cars with cameras. Assuming those cars are parked with the rear facing outwards, of course. Maybe that's why so many people in GA seem to want to back into parking spaces, a practice that I've never understood.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:01 PM

Some valid points there.

BTW, backing into a parking space is a lot more efficient and maneuverable, although I understand that is not the reason for it in Atlanta. In tokyo though, most I've seen will back into a lot, and even in the states, I never see anybody parallel park properly by going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yep, those drones will be all over as thick as flies.

Hypothetical situation: Someone tries to hit me in the Kroger parking lot, and all I see is the front of the car. It's a very common make and model.

Right now, in GA, I can't even verify what state the car was licensed from because the front doesn't tell me anything.

In many other states, I could tell you it was a local or nonlocal plate and maybe (if I'm lucky and/or observant enough) give you some of the info on the plate itself.

Some police units in GA have the ability to drive through parking lots and automatically ID cars with cameras. Assuming those cars are parked with the rear facing outwards, of course. Maybe that's why so many people in GA seem to want to back into parking spaces, a practice that I've never understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta