Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:40 AM

470 posts, read 1,278,629 times

Advertisements

one thing I dont like about the new license plate is that is it is very hard to read. hard to tell the county and the other lettering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
one thing I dont like about the new license plate is that is it is very hard to read. hard to tell the county and the other lettering
Not only that, but it looks like a frickin' postcard.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,878 times
A badly faded one at that - like those old american greetings cards you find at crusty gas stations. Papyrus it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Not only that, but it looks like a frickin' postcard.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
In NY we never talked about what county we lived in. It's really ridiculous.
Well, that's not true at all unless you live in NYC. In the rest of the state, you would denote where you live by the county (Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Orange, Putnam, etc.), especially as you got more upstate.

Here in GA, the counties have traditionally been the most local government entity, since there are no townships or villages. New cities are only starting to incorporate in the metro area in the last 10 years. Before then, much of North Fulton and Dunwoody were unincorporated.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I agree with you that doing away with the county sticker is needed, although for me the reason is different. For me, there is no reason to identify to others where you live, and that you may not be a local resident. In Florida, they did away with the counties on plates after tourists were mugged and carjacked.

I think the primary reason counties have been on the plates is because in Georgia they are issued by the county and not by the state. In most states, license plates and registrations for motor vehicles are handled by a state agency and not counties.
They still offer the county tags in Florida but you have the option of having the county or Sunshine State option at the bottom.

Not much help since almost all rental cars have the rental barcode located somewhere on the car.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Its a license plate, who cares what it looks like. I wouldn't care if it was a blank plate with black numbers. I'm not trying to impress the cops.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
I think that's the problem. License plates need to be just that, license plates.

Your tag # and also your county. I think it's ridiculous to remove something useful like a county in place of a vanity expression to appease nuts.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:41 AM

528 posts, read 1,284,391 times
Well, I beg to differ BIG TIME. Probably the ONLY place you denote what county you live in in NY are the examples you gave. I lived in Buffalo for 41 years and if someone asked where I lived, I NEVER told them Erie County. I would say the actual town or Buffalo but not the county. It is because all of NY is incorporated and you always lived inside of a town, village or city which is why the unincorporated thing in GA is hard for people to understand coming from a state that doesn't have unincorporated areas.

I understand, to a point, why people here use counties when they speak of where they live. For me, my mailing address is Suwanee but that actual town is in Gwinnett county and I live in S. Forsyth so if someone asks me where I live, I say S. Forsyth near Johns Creek especially to delivery people or anyone I need to come to my house for work to be done. And, they always say, "oh, I know where you are, I thought you were near 85". But, that doesn't mean you have to indicate the county on your actual license plate. We had no indication of city, town, or county on our plates. They all just said New York and they were fugly blue and white plates so be glad you have some that are pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Well, that's not true at all unless you live in NYC. In the rest of the state, you would denote where you live by the county (Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Orange, Putnam, etc.), especially as you got more upstate.

Here in GA, the counties have traditionally been the most local government entity, since there are no townships or villages. New cities are only starting to incorporate in the metro area in the last 10 years. Before then, much of North Fulton and Dunwoody were unincorporated.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:49 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Well, I beg to differ BIG TIME.
OK...doesn't apply to GA, so we'll just agree to disagree, which seems to be most of what I do on this forum anyway.

I grew up in NY State and my sister went to SUNY Buffalo before NYS driver's licenses had pictures on them. She used to carry her Erie County Sheriff's card to prove her age.

In most states, when you live in a city, you identify more with that city than with the county. In NY State as in Georgia, many people live outside of incorporated cities and do identify where they live with the county. Some states have additional layers like townships and villages as well.

Bottom line...Georgia (as with many southern states) has grown up with the county being the most relevant form of local gov't, and in the case of GA, the only form of local gov't for most people.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:04 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I think that's the problem. License plates need to be just that, license plates.

Your tag # and also your county. I think it's ridiculous to remove something useful like a county in place of a vanity expression to appease nuts.
There does need to be some differentiation between states, but yeah, some license plates have a graphic overload, like the new Georgia, Texas and Ohio plates.

It's perfectly possible to be simple and distinctive with a license plate:

Other state license plates like that are Illinois and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta