Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 03:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times

Advertisements

Yeah, true density with people constantly around and walking means less crime. It's deserted areas that are good for criminals to do the deed and not worry about being seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 03:46 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
No, you are exactly right. Suburbs just creates more isolation. Maybe humans are just becoming more socially isolated? I don't know...Suburbs are just boring to me...

Density has more things to do in a much smaller area so more people tend to do those things. Density in a way breeds culture to an extent.
Who knows what it takes to get the creative juices flowing? Some people thrive on urban hustle-bustle, while others say they need peace and quiet or wide open spaces.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Density doesn't necessarily breed crime. The places with the highest crime rates in the USA are mostly not dense.
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NYC has one of the lowest crime rates (if not the lowest crime rate) of a city its size in the world.
I walked all over NYC last month and didn't feel unsafe once. Half the time I even had my phone out like a tourist. However, according to the article you just posted, NYC's crime rate is considerably higher than Atlanta's.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Yeah, true density with people constantly around and walking means less crime. It's deserted areas that are good for criminals to do the deed and not worry about being seen.
Are you referring to deserted areas in a city, or the suburbs, or out in the middle of nowhere? Out in the country, sure, there are fewer witnesses, but there are also fewer criminals and further distances between potential crime targets. What's a crackhead going to do for quick cash - tip over a cow?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
I walked all over NYC last month and didn't feel unsafe once. Half the time I even had my phone out like a tourist. However, according to the article you just posted, NYC's crime rate is considerably higher than Atlanta's.
NYC is lower in every category. Maybe you were looking at Buffalo?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Are you referring to deserted areas in a city, or the suburbs, or out in the middle of nowhere? Out in the country, sure, there are fewer witnesses, but there are also fewer criminals and further distances between potential crime targets. What's a crackhead going to do for quick cash - tip over a cow?
All the above. Riddle me this.

Do you think or at least feel safer in a large crowd at a town square or walking alone down a street with supposedly no one around? What if this was at night?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
NYC is lower in every category. Maybe you were looking at Buffalo?
Doh! Sorry, yes I was. Never mind!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
All the above. Riddle me this.

Do you think or at least feel safer in a large crowd at a town square or walking alone down a street with supposedly no one around? What if this was at night?
Depends on where the street is.

In my neighborhood (Kirkwood), I feel safer in places where there are lots of other people around. Day or night doesn't much matter - as we've seen recently, folks get held up on the street at 9am on weekdays or 3pm on a Sunday.

In Ball Ground, I feel safer on empty streets or out in the woods, where I'm the only person out there.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Depends on where the street is.

In my neighborhood (Kirkwood), I feel safer in places where there are lots of other people around. Day or night doesn't much matter - as we've seen recently, folks get held up on the street at 9am on weekdays or 3pm on a Sunday.

In Ball Ground, I feel safer on empty streets or out in the woods, where I'm the only person out there.
Most people don't feel safe in the woods alone. The idea is you don't know if you are truly alone until someone lets thier presense be known and by then it may be too late as there is no one to help you or at least witness.

I'm sure a the incidents of people being robbed at gun point where not in crowed areas night or day (the night or day thing is more perception).The only time stuff like that happens in in crowded areas in riots or rare massacre killings.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Most people don't feel safe in the woods alone. The idea is you don't know if you are truly alone until someone lets thier presense be known and by then it may be too late as there is no one to help you or at least witness.
That's probably subjective. It doesn't bother me at all to be out in the woods alone. We often don't lock the doors at the lake or on our little farm. If somebody's going to get you so be it, but you can't worry about that. The odds are remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta