Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 01:26 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times

Advertisements

Again, you really need to pay attention to the Lakeside city hood movement and potential annexations to Clarkston and St. Mountain. The annexations would not be good for property values....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:37 PM

10 posts, read 33,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Again, you really need to pay attention to the Lakeside city hood movement and potential annexations to Clarkston and St. Mountain. The annexations would not be good for property values....
Thank you lastminutemom, I absolutely have been paying attention, printing out the proposed maps from both Lakeside and Tucker to see where houses we look at are located (or could end up being located) and looking for info on these cityhood fights daily.

We're also looking at houses right over the line in Gwinnett county as well in the Parkview district you mentioned was more stable, thank you for that info. We've seen so many houses we like there BUT many have septic tanks which we're not interested in dealing with at all.

I also told him we'd like to keep looking but probably wouldn't be making any decisions till the end of March as suggested when the final maps could be drawn up. Unless something opens up in Doraville which is where we really wanted to be anyway (near Chamblee-Tucker Road) and also where our realtor claims home prices will (and have) remained steady regardless of the cityhood decision. Do you agree? But I figure if we keep looking and happen to find something, once cityhood lines are drawn we can make an offer immediately if it's in a good area of Tucker.

Read in an article today that Fran Miller said he didn't "want to leave the Tucker folks behind" so it sounds like they may be trying to cooperate with some parts of Tucker (and we're looking at Tucker homes only close to the Doraville line & Northlake Mall).

I'm wondering if Lakeside is realizing they can't win this fight and would rather get in with Tucker while they can since the tax bases they're after seem to be located there, or if cooler heads are prevailing? Time will tell I guess.

Again, thank you for your advice I appreciate it and please feel free to share anything that might help! Unless we hit lotto this will probably be the last home we purchase, so we want to make sure we make the right decision on so many levels. Adding this Lakeside/Tucker fight into the mix is only muddying the waters more

Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,208 times
The housing stock tends to be on the older side in Tucker, however, you can find some relatively newer infill neighborhoods as well. In Tucker specifically, I would look at housing in and near Tucker High School near Lavista and Chamblee-Tucker Roads. I had lived in the Tucker area and it is very convenient area for commuting to work and lots of good amenities and shopping. It was also relatively easy to drive to the Chamblee station as well for commuting.

Generally speaking with few exceptions, Dekalb county schools are in rough shape right now. It sounds like you have a lot of time before you decide to use the schools anyway and things may change in half a decade or so it is really hard to make any predictions about that.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,178 times
I lived in Tucker, it's not that bad. That gangland episode is misleading. lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta