Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:14 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,635,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Christ, I avoid it too. And I'm not even French!
Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 04:29 PM

23,528 posts, read 44,214,555 times
Here's a list of neighborhoods in Paris to avoid due to excessive body odor and secondhand smoke...

Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,802,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Our own government issues similar advice. I remember years ago when Michelle Obama went to Spain that it was an issue because at that time there had been attacks on black people in Spain. They also didn't like gay people in Spain (which was weird as I have a male friend who is gay and who loves going to Spain and has never had any problems being both black and gay lol). Most people take these things with a grain of salt.
I have had to spend some time in Southern Spain for work. I didn't see any issues raised with gay people and there seemed to be peaceful gay bars integrated into the neighborhoods, but I did notice a very noticeable anti-immigration backlack against Africans... especially those with a certain very dark complexion from north western Africa. Its not just Spain, its pervasive throughout Europe and is also particularly bad in France.

But I also get the feeling if you took a black person from the US with an average education/accent there wouldn't be a problem in the slightest.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:07 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,460,802 times
France should focus on its failing economy.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 PM

10,742 posts, read 13,425,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I have had to spend some time in Southern Spain for work. I didn't see any issues raised with gay people and there seemed to be peaceful gay bars integrated into the neighborhoods, but I did notice a very noticeable anti-immigration backlack against Africans... especially those with a certain very dark complexion from north western Africa. Its not just Spain, its pervasive throughout Europe and is also particularly bad in France.

But I also get the feeling if you took a black person from the US with an average education/accent there wouldn't be a problem in the slightest.
Yep. France is currently having an internal problem with a backlash against a black justice minister. A French magazine recently depicted her on its cover as a "monkey". Read here: UN slams racist slurs against black French minister - FRANCE 24

And those Frogs complain about us! Mon due!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,159,152 times
I don't know why people are getting mad. They're right for the most part. In fact, they are very conservative on what areas tourists should avoid. They only say they express concern...didn't necessarily say avoid. They didn't even mention the infamous westside of the city. The more South you go in Atlanta, the more dangerous it becomes.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:04 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,114,208 times
Of course tourists should avoid downtown at night, because there's not much going on there outside of an event at Phillips/GWCC/GA Dome.

And outside of Grant Park, there are no reasons for tourists to be in south Atlanta anyway.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:32 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,159,152 times
I'd say the Peachtree Center Area has a decent amount of things going on and foot traffic at night, but it's tourist central. Basically, the tourist areas are the only areas that tourists should in anyway. I'd say you're safe as long as you're north of Marietta St.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:56 AM

329 posts, read 432,463 times
If I were mayor Reed I would go over to the French Embassy and chew his ass out for that. There is no reason to say downtown is dangerous after dark. There are people out everywhere down there after dark and we are not sweeping up dead bodies in the morning. This is just BS. As for certain parts of south Atlanta, I might agree but there are worse parts of NW Atlanta like Hollywood that I would not go into either. Or for that matter Six Flags Drive or Franklin Rd in Cobb. If the French are so concerned about the French, maybe they should do their work and find out what areas are really dangerous before they shoot off their mouths like that. Reed should be furious at them.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:01 AM

329 posts, read 432,463 times
Only last month we went to an event downtown and walked from Phillips Arena over to the Waffle House at Underground where we ate. Then we got on MARTA and left. Did not feel in any danger whatsoever. The French are scared of everything. That is why they got beat up on by the Nazis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta