Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:55 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,781,195 times

Advertisements

People in Atlanta have nothing to complain about. The Braves are still here. Technically, they are even going to have an Atlanta address (I know, I know, it's Cobb). But let me tell you a story of a city - in fact an entire state - that really got "screwed" by a team, since I grew up around it and know the story well.

The New England Patriots. Their stadium in Hartford CT was going to be the anchor of a new mixed-use development called Adrien's Landing, that was going to make Hartford into something new. It touched off a lot of real estate speculation downtown that actually brought people into the city and made the downtown area a "hip" place to live, if you could call it that (or less sterile, perhaps). The state had the stadium completely funded and ready to go. Then Massachussettes built them a new stadium and they decided to stay in Foxboro. The funds went to build UConn a stadium, a very nice one, and a convention center, and a children's museum's relocation downtown. Adrien's Landing was stalled, but it was ultimately built, a little below original scale because the stall from the turmoil of the Patriots backing out caused Adrien's Landing construction to extend into the 2008 downturn. But it got built nonetheless. As did a 40 story condominum building, a new state of hte art hotel, the aforementioned convention center, the museum, a Colt revolver brownstone into apartments, and many other condos and apartments. It actually worked out well for Hartford. Better than if it were a stadium after all.

But people in CT have reason to be pissed at the Patriots for what they did. Nobody has a reason to be angry at the Braves, in my opinion. They could have packed up and left the whole region.

Now, if Hartford can still do all that with the team backing out, I imagine Atlanta can figure something out for the stadium area. I could come up with something on a napkin. The mayor just has to do his job, stop neglecting the Peoplestown/Mechanicsville area and hit the pavement finding investors with the will and the capital to pull something spectacular off.

That little strip on both sides of the highway from Abernathy South could redefine Atlanta and boost the whole South side, by extending downtown to South of I-20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,008,050 times
I don't get the comparison.

The Patriots have always played in the Boston area. Nothing was taken away from Connecticut.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The Patriots have always played in the Boston area. Nothing was taken away from Connecticut.
Sure, it's a little different, but for six months the Patriots had committed to moving to Adrien's Landing in Hartford. And Connecticut actually pre-funded the entire stadium development (over $300 million) and the billion dollar development around it. Then a last minute move by the state of Massachusetts to build a new stadium kept them in Foxboro. It became obvious that the Patriots had played Hartford to get a better stadium out of the Massachussettes government.

This was a big thing that happened right out in the open for over six months, with a lot riding on it. It wasn't a three-month negotiation that happened in cigar-filled rooms. The Patriots' new home WAS Hartford in everyone's mind, until the Patriots got what they really wanted all along.

Example: http://articles.courant.com/1998-12-...otball-stadium http://ct.gov/ecd/cwp/view.asp?A=1106&Q=250948
Then the aftermath: http://lubbockonline.com/stories/050...50199090.shtml http://articles.courant.com/2014-03-...tford-patriots

It'd be like the Braves pulling out of Cobb right now. Sure, some people would chuckle, but it'd anger a lot of people (except tea partiers).

Last edited by netdragon; 04-10-2014 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 10:13 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Sorry, but you are not going to convince some people (including me) that the Braves are staying in Atlanta and we should be happy about it. It is nice that they are not moving far away. But they are moving outside the city. There is a literal boundary to what is in the city of Atlanta and what is not. The Braves are moving outside the city to the suburbs.

And yes, I am mad at the current Braves ownership about the move. The Braves I grew up with in the 90s (under Ted Turner) would not have left the city. They may still call themselves the "Atlanta Braves" but they are not to me and many others. I will still make it to some games, but I would probably see just as many if they moved to downtown Nashville as I am there more often than I am in Cobb.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
There is a literal boundary to what is in the city of Atlanta and what is not. The Braves are moving outside the city to the suburbs.
Only in your minds. 90% of Atlanta proper is suburban. The only urban parts are inside the future Belt Line and up Peacthree Street through the very center of Buckhead, along with East Atlanta in Dekalb County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
They may still call themselves the "Atlanta Braves" but they are not to me and many others. I will still make it to some games, but I would probably see just as many if they moved to downtown Nashville as I am there more often than I am in Cobb.
Fortunately, more people live near the new stadium than the old one, and the metro area is centered on the Northern perimeter, not Atlanta. Atlanta only has around 500,000 people. The North end perimeter has most of metro Atlanta's population. So, I know it's harsh to say, but the Braves probably don't really care about Atlanta residents aside from the ones buying box seats. It's strictly business and a shrewd business move moving to the center of the metro area, not an emotional one.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,242,434 times
"Atlanta" Braves
or
The Metro Atlanta Braves
or
The Atlanta Area Braves

The only remaining acceptable names. I shouldn't even care anymore.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 AM

254 posts, read 369,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Only in your minds.
By literal boundary I'm sure he means the Atlanta city limits, which is a literal boundary.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
"Atlanta" Braves
or
The Metro Atlanta Braves
or
The Atlanta Area Braves

The only remaining acceptable names. I shouldn't even care anymore.
I think the most accurate joke would be the Atlanta zip code Braves :-)

A former cowoerker of mine who lives in Atlanta bought the Smyrna Braves domain name so that they couldn't use it, hehe.

That's all fun and games.

The official in Atlanta calling them the Smyrna Sh*holes was completely inappropriate.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
I ate at Barker's Red Hot on windy Hill recently and at the cash register it said 'Welcome Cobb County Braves.' Very classy Cobb County. They are already starting to claim it as theirs.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 AM

143 posts, read 242,612 times
So you're comparing a team that actually already had a stadium and such inside a city to one that PROMISED to move to an area...and you're saying they should be MORE angry because they lined up FINANCING in anticipation of the move?

A lot of cities line up funding ahead of time to lure large businesses to an area. I was in Montgomery when they were bidding on the Hyundai plant. Montgomery had already annexed land and funded the construction of roads and sewer services to the plant...BEFORE the decision...just to show Hyundai that Montgomery was prepared and serious.

A team that was never in Connecticut, that had no stadium in Connecticut, did not move to Connecticut. A team that was inside Atlanta, had a stadium inside Atlanta, is now not in Atlanta...no...they shouldn't be more angry.

And you do understand that when people say "____ proper" they are talking about city limits...right? So no...90% of Atlanta PROPER is NOT suburban...the very definition of suburban is "pertaining to, inhabiting, or being in a suburb or the suburbs of a city or town". So NOTHING in Atlanta proper is suburban...the Braves, however, will be suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta