Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 05:43 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the Braves are okay with not having rail transit.

Quote:
As Atlanta Braves EVP Derek Schiller put it: Braves fans don't use MARTA. Or at least, rail access won't be critical to the success of the organization's new SunTrust Park stadium project.

It was a friendly tit-for-tat at Bisnow's Atlanta 2016 Forecast event at the W Hotel Midtown yesterday between City of Atlanta Council president Ceasar Mitchell and Derek, with Ceasar asking if the stadium's impact is having an effect on views about MARTA expansion into Cobb County. Derek said the stadium will already be very connected, but pointed out connectivity can take different forms, alluding to the organization's 14-point access plan.

He said at Turner Field, fans griped about parking around the ballpark, and even with a bus option from MARTA, only 8% of the fan base—many commuting from as far as 50 miles away—used mass transit to get to games. He said Atlanta still has a car culture, though the long-term hope is for transit.”

More....SCHILLER: BRAVES' FANS NEVER WERE DEPENDENT ON RAIL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 07:34 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like the Braves are okay with not having rail transit.
I call factcheck on that 8% claim.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:28 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,738 times
The fans the Braves want to cater to by and large do not use MARTA.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:29 PM

1,057 posts, read 868,568 times
Imagine if there was an ACTUAL Marta stop at turner field and there were actual things to do around the stadium?

Old 01-20-2016, 10:58 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Imagine if there was an ACTUAL Marta stop at turner field and there were actual things to do around the stadium?
Thank goodness at least one of those is changing in the next 5 years. Personally, with the new development around Turner Field via GSU, I'm glad the Braves are hauling ass. Now we don't have to hear the suburbanites complain anymore. I'll also look forward to the decline that occurs in the areas around the new Braves stadium over the next 20 years while Atlanta's gentrification begins to wrap around the downtown area including Summerhill.

The suburbs are simply no longer the "Safe option" anymore like they were 25 years ago. The Braves and it's fan will learn this as time continues.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
The Braves organization have such a suburban mindset:
Quote:
In terms of the Braves' SunTrust Park, he called it a mall model, where the Braves will anchor a mixed-use development.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...medium=Browser
Instead of the stadium being part of the urban fabric, like Fenway, Wrigley, Camden Yards, Busch, they want it to be a Sears.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I call factcheck on that 8% claim.
I also highly doubt the number was just 8%, as I and other MARTA commuters have dealt with rush hour along with Braves fans. They are easy to spot, they are the ones who look confused at Five Points, even though there are overhead signs EVERYWHERE!

Old 01-21-2016, 09:28 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Thank goodness at least one of those is changing in the next 5 years. Personally, with the new development around Turner Field via GSU, I'm glad the Braves are hauling ass. Now we don't have to hear the suburbanites complain anymore. I'll also look forward to the decline that occurs in the areas around the new Braves stadium over the next 20 years while Atlanta's gentrification begins to wrap around the downtown area including Summerhill.

The suburbs are simply no longer the "Safe option" anymore like they were 25 years ago. The Braves and it's fan will learn this as time continues.
The sad truth is that "safe option" is code for "there are fewer blacks and browns living nearby." Speaking of which, by contrast it was clearly no big deal by comparison that the Downtown Connector and former AFCS split the old neighborhood in two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I also highly doubt the number was just 8%, as I and other MARTA commuters have dealt with rush hour along with Braves fans. They are easy to spot, they are the ones who look confused at Five Points, even though there are overhead signs EVERYWHERE!
And now the Braves shuttle connects to the West End station, so there's even less of an excuse for them to get lost once they get off the train.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:34 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Yep. The Dome gets 30% of fans using MARTA.

Good riddance to the Braves, their new leadership is terrible.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Multi-billion dollar public investments should not be built to privately owned stadium, instead privately owned stadiums should be built near existing transit station, see MB stadium as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta