Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 02:19 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
What you don't understand is your generalizing "I'm playing along with you" the poor who would ride transit aren't the one who likely to commit crimes. Cause Criminals would prefer Cars, you have to be the dumbest of the dumb to ride public transit after committing a crime. Your waiting..., there's cameras..., there's no trunk for hiding things..

So the people who your scared of "criminals" already prefer Cars and have access to travel where ever they want, but the people you want away poor people you who feel depend transit aren't likely to commit crimes. So in actually it would be just holding back transit.
Seriously though, what kind of criminal would use MARTA to commit crimes? I still have yet to hear of a drive-by shooting from a MARTA bus. Also, imagine a group of thugs with a stolen TV waiting on a MARTA station platform, that would get shut down fast by MARTA police. Or, the perp who gets off the bus, breaks into a home, steals thousands of dollars worth of goods, then waits another 30 minutes for the bus to come back? Ridiculous.

Quote:
Also it doesn't matter Atlanta is growing, it's better to plan growth than deal with a headache later
But let's be real here, "planning growth" is not one of Atlanta's strengths. January 28 of last year should have been the ultimate wake up call.

- skbl17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 03:03 PM

39 posts, read 33,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

So the people who your scared of "criminals" already prefer Cars and have access to travel where ever they want, but the people you want away poor people you who feel depend transit aren't likely to commit crimes. So in actually it would be just holding back transit.

Also it doesn't matter Atlanta is growing, it's better to plan growth than deal with a headache later

I think they prefer cars in locations near their neighborhood and being on foot. In fact, most of the murders are probably committed by people who run away. Again, at locations close to their homes. It's why Brookhaven doesn't have the same murder rate as SW Atlanta.

If criminals prefer cars to drive to rich areas then why are the poorest parts of the city the ones with the most crime?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:34 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcredskins View Post
I think they prefer cars in locations near their neighborhood and being on foot. In fact, most of the murders are probably committed by people who run away. Again, at locations close to their homes. It's why Brookhaven doesn't have the same murder rate as SW Atlanta.

If criminals prefer cars to drive to rich areas then why are the poorest parts of the city the ones with the most crime?
Your still not getting it....

You fearing transit will cause criminal to move to your neighborhoods.

That illogical cause most people in lower income neighborhoods tend to have cars no different then middle class. A cash car can be bought for just 1 to 2 thousand.

Again You fearing transit will cause criminal to move to your neighborhoods. If transit can bring them up there to live then.......... Cars can bring up there live.

Every time I mention "cars" you think just visiting, and respond back "committed at locations close to their homes" but your stuck with the idea that transit able or enable them to move. If transit was the most important factor stopping lower income people moving into your neighborhood they would already be there cause most in SW Atlanta don't need transit most have cars. They should simply drive up to your neighborhood and select a place to live. They not doing this cause they can't afford it, transit or car is not the factor,

And your overgeneralizing not everyone in these neighborhoods are poor or lower income.

Also what your saying is very untrue, A car is a hideaway and a faster escape. just because it's in the same neighborhood doesn't mean they don't prefer a car, either or it's irrelevant to public transportation. cause only the dumbest of the dumb criminal would ride public transportation, again cameras, trunk space, and waiting.

--------------

You said you don't want Atlanta to grow............. but it's going to grow like it or not, but since Atlanta is going to grow should the region wait and let issues develop or should developer plan?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:50 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Hahahha.

It's actually the opposite. Everyone uses the road because anything you buy in the city was brought on a truck. Fire, police, ambulances all use roads. Nothing I buy came on a Marta.
125,000 people take MARTA every day. That's 125,000 people that aren't on the roads that made your road commute better. Many people moved to Brookhaven just because it's closer to MARTA, that's a higher tax base which paid for those fire, police, and ambulances and the roads you used. So you used MARTA even if you didn't set foot on the system.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:09 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
125,000 people take MARTA every day. That's 125,000 people that aren't on the roads that made your road commute better. Many people moved to Brookhaven just because it's closer to MARTA, that's a higher tax base which paid for those fire, police, and ambulances and the roads you used. So you used MARTA even if you didn't set foot on the system.
Actually Matt, it's way more than that. MARTA daily rail ridership is about 218,00, bus about 195,000.

https://www.google.com/#q=apta+daily+ridership

Old 09-06-2015, 09:26 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Actually Matt, it's way more than that. MARTA daily rail ridership is about 218,00, bus about 195,000.

https://www.google.com/#q=apta+daily+ridership
As gtcorndog once pointed out and must be acknowledged, the 218,000 trips are unlinked trips which means that a person who boards in the morning going to work, then boards in the evening going home counts as two trips. So since most people go A->B->A, we can split the number in half to get a better approximation of true ridership. I had always heard 250,000 trips on the rail and about 500,000 on the whole system so I was rounding a bit. But still, the point remains.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:32 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times
Quote:
As gtcorndog once pointed out and must be acknowledged, the 218,000 trips are unlinked trips which means that a person who boards in the morning going to work, then boards in the evening going home counts as two trips. So since most people go A->B->A, we can split the number in half to get a better approximation of true ridership. I had always heard 250,000 trips on the rail and about 500,000 on the whole system so I was rounding a bit. But still, the point remains.
The REAL point is that for the 10th or 11th largest Metro in the U.S. to have the 8th highest ridership with such a limited service area is something to be proud of, not ashamed of. And these figures exclude CCT, GCT & GRTA.

This fact needs to be repeated often and loudly, in my opinion.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:04 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Seriously though, what kind of criminal would use MARTA to commit crimes? I still have yet to hear of a drive-by shooting from a MARTA bus. Also, imagine a group of thugs with a stolen TV waiting on a MARTA station platform, that would get shut down fast by MARTA police. Or, the perp who gets off the bus, breaks into a home, steals thousands of dollars worth of goods, then waits another 30 minutes for the bus to come back? Ridiculous.

But let's be real here, "planning growth" is not one of Atlanta's strengths. January 28 of last year should have been the ultimate wake up call.

- skbl17
January 28?

Quote:

Sociology 101: Crime and poverty are positively correlated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The REAL point is that for the 10th or 11th largest Metro in the U.S. to have the 8th highest ridership with such a limited service area is something to be proud of, not ashamed of. And these figures exclude CCT, GCT & GRTA.

This fact needs to be repeated often and loudly, in my opinion.
Wow, good point.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:11 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
It may have been me who pointed out that around 125,000 people a day use MARTA.

See http://www.city-data.com/forum/34791033-post55.html

Here's a discussion from the minutes of the MARTA board:

Old 09-07-2015, 08:36 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It may have been me who pointed out that around 125,000 people a day use MARTA.

See http://www.city-data.com/forum/34791033-post55.html

Here's a discussion from the minutes of the MARTA board:

So a lot more people use both bus and rail than rail only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta