Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 06:57 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
i wouldn't say most. However, i do believe there is a segment of the population that would tolerate alot of intolerable things just so they don't have to have people of color around them.
fify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:33 AM

114 posts, read 112,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
...we have never seen anyone ride the train or bus with a TV they just stole.
But its not just that. Residents also don't want people loitering around stations and on nearby street corners. They don't want the homeless problem like the city has. We all know that there are a lot of people who ride MARTA all day long and literally have nothing else to do because they don't have jobs. I don't know about you but I don't want people like that bused in or "trained" in to my community. Does that make me a bad person? For the record, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I'm actually a big proponent of MARTA coming to Cobb County and I'm a county resident. I can sympathize with both sides of the public transit argument.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:21 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,490 times
More fearmongering.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:49 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermie125 View Post
But its not just that. Residents also don't want people loitering around stations and on nearby street corners. They don't want the homeless problem like the city has. We all know that there are a lot of people who ride MARTA all day long and literally have nothing else to do because they don't have jobs. I don't know about you but I don't want people like that bused in or "trained" in to my community. Does that make me a bad person? For the record, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I'm actually a big proponent of MARTA coming to Cobb County and I'm a county resident. I can sympathize with both sides of the public transit argument.
Which residents? Did you take a scientific poll of them? And who said anything about the stations being in people's backyards?

Nothing is on the table for MARTA expansion into Cobb right now. So what could go where is quite open. Certain areas would almost certainly be more accepting of stations than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
More fearmongering.
Perhaps. Also it just gives the naysayers too much of a voice.

But as I have said before, it's currently a seller's market for potential transit expansion. Clayton is coming online, and Gwinnett just might join in 2020. As foolish as I think Cobb would be to reject MARTA indefinitely, there's no rush if they don't want it yet.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:42 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Yeah, if Cobb doesn't want it, I say let them fall further behind without MARTA access.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:30 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Why can't we let Cobb be Cobb instead of insisting on ramming mass transit down their throats?

If and when Cobb is ready for it they will no doubt let people know.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:19 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why can't we let Cobb be Cobb instead of insisting on ramming mass transit down their throats?

Because Cobb doesn't exist in a vacuum! Someone that has a job in Cobb but lives in Atlanta has no choice but to drive which doesn't just put another car on Cobbs' roads, but also Atlantas' roads, or Gwinnetts' roads or Clayton Countys' roads. If I'm not mistaken, our very own Cqholt mentioned he now works up there and can't use MARTA despite being one of the strongest advocates for transit on here.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:14 PM

188 posts, read 177,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
If I'm not mistaken, our very own Cqholt mentioned he now works up there and can't use MARTA despite being one of the strongest advocates for transit on here.
What a tragedy!!!!

Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:

Because Cobb is not just Cobb, it's not a random isolated county, Cobb is part of metro Atlanta it's a core county that's over 700k and growing. It's bad for the region as a hold. In 1970 cobb was just 198,000 now it's 3x that population.

It's a paradox situation actually

CID's Business leaders of Cobb want it, the places in Cobb that are targeted and need it.... want it...

The leaders and etc in the Cumberland area want it, even the Business leaders in Cobb town center want it.

Who doesn't want it, are places like East Cobb where transit plan are not even being target in the first place.

Not only is there rejection is fuel by phobia of crime that actually makes no sense, but the plans don't even included there areas in the first place. They essentially holding hostage to other parts of the county that wants it and need it.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:05 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:

They obviously want transit, look at the Cobb Pkwy BRT proposal. Instead they think they can do it better than MARTA, which has been running transit for 43 years. Look at the BRT proposal, Cobb is looking to do the same thing MARTA did several years ago on Memorial Dr, that failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta