Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 07:47 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Keep it real all you want. And by all means, don't hold back.

But, if/when you start blaming white America for black America's economic, political, and social suffering .... your argument will lose its credibility. Instantly.

Just a tip.
Thanks for your non-solicited advice. I will be sure to print it out and use it as tp when the supply runs low.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:06 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Some parts of Southern white history and parts of the civil war aren't all about just about slavery. That is way too overly simplistic. Slavery -was- an important issue leading up to the civil War, but that was one issue inter-twined with other aspects of culture in the South and their desire for independence too. It was inter-twined with divisions that started before the popularity of the abolitionist movement in the North. It shouldn't be forgotten, but it shouldn't be pitched as the only and sole justification either.
You know, I am an educated man, but I hope you understand that when things like this are said how horrible it makes a very large segment of this nation (and this City and State) feel. It is exactly as telling a Jewish person who descended from German Jew that lived or died in the Holocaust, "You know, World War II was about much more than the systematic destruction of the Jewish peoples in Europe. There were territorial concerns and battle of economic principles too!"

People can talk about taxes and States or any other things. They very much a part of the War. But that War was always about Slavery in one way or another. I'm not just saying that as a descendant of Slaves either. The States that seceded said exactly the same thing. Here are the reasons the government of Georgia gave for traitorously leaving the Republic:

http://www.civilwar.org/education/hi...nofcauses.html

Quote:
The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with the Government of the United States of America, present to their confederates and the world the causes which have led to the separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. They have endeavored to weaken our security, to disturb our domestic peace and tranquility, and persistently refused to comply with their express constitutional obligations to us in reference to that property, and by the use of their power in the Federal Government have striven to deprive us of an equal enjoyment of the common Territories of the Republic. This hostile policy of our confederates has been pursued with every circumstance of aggravation which could arouse the passions and excite the hatred of our people, and has placed the two sections of the Union for many years past in the condition of virtual civil war. Our people, still attached to the Union from habit and national traditions, and averse to change, hoped that time, reason, and argument would bring, if not redress, at least exemption from further insults, injuries, and dangers. Recent events have fully dissipated all such hopes and demonstrated the necessity of separation.
Translation in to modern American English: We want Slaves, the Feds say we can't have them anymore, so we're leaving.

Texas, as always, was more blunt:

Quote:
Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

They demand the abolition of negro slavery throughout the confederacy, the recognition of political equality between the white and negro races, and avow their determination to press on their crusade against us, so long as a negro slave remains in these States.

For these and other reasons, solemnly asserting that the federal constitution has been violated and virtually abrogated by the several States named, seeing that the federal government is now passing under the control of our enemies to be diverted from the exalted objects of its creation to those of oppression and wrong, and realizing that our own State can no longer look for protection, but to God and her own sons-- We the delegates of the people of Texas, in Convention assembled, have passed an ordinance dissolving all political connection with the government of the United States of America and the people thereof and confidently appeal to the intelligence and patriotism of the freemen of Texas to ratify the same at the ballot box, on the 23rd day of the present month.
Look, I get it. The vast majority of the people who fought in the Confederate Army were not Slave holders. In fact, economically speaking and within the social strata of the South of the time, they were just a few notches above Slave themselves. For them, the War was about saving their perceived homeland and there is nothing wrong with that. But let's not whitewash history with this talk about taxes and various other nonsense. The whole reason for the Confederates leaving the Republic and turning themselves in to traitors was for the specific intent of maintaining slavery in this country. That's it.

With that said, I personally hate the carving. It ruins what is one of the natural wonders of the world with needless political horse crap. I can't even enjoy a hike up the mountain or a walk along the trails without thinking about that unbelievably ignorant monument carved in to the side of the mountain (though I do feel an immense amount of joy when my multiracial self stands on top of the Slave holding generals when I get to the summit.)

But do I think it should be torn down? Despite my fantasies of doing it myself with an Austin Powers-esque laser, I realize that it would basically be impossible. Instead, I'm in favor of adding another carving or two to show the historical progression of this State. On the left, an image of our Native American past. On the right, a gigantic MLK JR smiling down on the Confederates...or maybe him standing upon their heads. Either or.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:33 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
So before I even start commenting in this thread, let me ask: How many posts past the OP did it take before the fragile whiteness began showing up?

Old 07-16-2015, 11:59 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
I say this again let celebrate southern heritage by bringing people together

obliviously country, but The blues, Jazz, Rock & Roll, R&B, and etc started in The south, These genres are still popular today but help develop the base on modern Pop music across the word which is crazy, The South has beautiful diverse architecture, folklore, cuisines and etc. There so much positive stuff that unites us

To AA nothing about the confederacy is uniting it doesn't represent the south we love, it represent division and depression. Then it's treason, again there nothing to be proud about the Confederacy. It should be taught not celebrated.

What we see today the battle flag or Navy Jack was not popular until the 50's and 60's and was meant to scared African Americans during the civil rights movement.

So it's ironic people defending it as heritage when historically it was never seen a such. The battle flag being embrace as a symbol of the south is actually something recent.

The problem comes as People have southern pride and want a symbol to represent the south, but they been taught to romanticize about the confederacy instead of what united southerners.

I think it would be a good idea of covering that KKK funded and built land mark with something that better repenting of the south. I seen stone mountain on a bunch of TV shows and films but no wants to capture the carving it's bigger than Mr Rushmore but yet nobody really nationally knows or care about it. People basically ignore it exist. But what ever people need to focus on uniting southerners.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:03 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
So before I even start commenting in this thread, let me ask: How many posts past the OP did it take before the fragile whiteness began showing up?

White Fragility and the Rules of Engagement -

White Fragility: Why It's So Hard to Talk to White People About Racism -

Old 07-17-2015, 12:15 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
The US dropped two nuclear bombs in Japan, and they did pretty well. Most of you drive Japanese cars, watch Japanese remake movies, and play Japanese games. Jewish people practically own Hollywood even after the Holocaust.

I wish, we can just all leave US one day, and go back to our own race designated countries for 6 months, or one island somewhere, then come back and apply for citizenship again to United States, and start fresh. Meanwhile, the country will clean everything up, build new housings, better infrastructures, and better everything.

Everyone will have a house, and a job, and we'll just start all equal, man and women, all races.

Last edited by Plokivos; 07-17-2015 at 12:29 AM..

Old 07-17-2015, 12:42 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sure, which would you like to compare? We can go down this road if you'd really like to. And please don't start with "I Have a Dream;" it's a shame people think that's the only speech he ever gave.

And he was also under constant surveillance by the FBI. Again, that doesn't happen for somebody who tours the country just giving Sunday School lessons.
So was Marilyn Monroe ... and about a million other people.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I can totally dig this. My experience is not your experience at all, but bad juju is bad juju. I have never been to Stone Mountain, and I probably won't ever go - because of it's history.
You know there's a LOT more to Stone Mountain Park than the damn carving? Right? No? I guess you don't. Too bad. Whatever "bad mojo" you have would be cured f you hiked to the summit and took in the view.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:56 AM

381 posts, read 277,564 times

Two of these gentlemen owned slaves I believe.Do the NAACP want this removed too?.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:33 AM

This guy speaks truth. Replace the words "confederate flag" with "Stone Mountain carving" and the point is the same. As a white guy, of course, I'm not allowed to have that opinion much less share this link. Whatever.

(The Black Hat) Foolish Negroes: The Confederate Flag Is The Least of Your Problems

As I said in an earlier post, it's really unfortunate that so many people are getting worked up over things that are merely symbols of the root issue rather than the issues themselves. Dylann Roof wanted a race war -- and he's gonna get it because of misguided crap like this. How disgusting and pathetic and totally disrespectful to the 9 souls who perished in Charleston.

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-17-2015 at 03:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta