Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 05:10 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I knew I wasn't going to convince you. But a lot more people read any particular thread than post on it.
And that's why I post with as much conviction as I can muster.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:19 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,041,305 times
I love the scenery and skyline views from Stone Mountain...I have never been there thinking it was racist or negative in any way. The strange thing is the number of other black folks I have seen there every time I've been - I just don't think the negative views are prevailing. People seem to see it as an interesting place to visit and maybe a little bit of the historic South that so many come looking for in Atlanta.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:44 PM

560 posts, read 667,780 times
I think we can all agree this is the best compromise.

Big Boi endorses petition for Outkast carving on Stone Mountain | www.ajc.com

Old 07-15-2015, 07:06 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,631,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post

I can live with that.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:08 PM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post

Get 'er done!

Old 07-15-2015, 07:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
How about this:

Let freedom ring.

Martin Luther King, Jr. On Stone Mountain - Art, Martin Luther King, Martin Luther King Jr Biography

I dare someone to tell me why this shouldn't happen. I double-dog dare ya!

Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
How about this:

Let freedom ring.

Martin Luther King, Jr. On Stone Mountain - Art, Martin Luther King, Martin Luther King Jr Biography

I dare someone to tell me why this shouldn't happen. I double-dog dare ya!
OK, I'll bite.

Because it's tacky.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:57 PM

445 posts, read 516,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
OK, I'll bite.

Because it's tacky.
Should fit in well at Stone Mt. Park then.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:31 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I can understand the parents and grandparents who lived the war. But it is like those of you descended from confederates don't understand that those symbols and the war was "lived" as well by formerly enslaved persons and their progeny. Formerly enslaved persons were also denied economic and educational advancement for nearly 100 years after the end of the Civil War by your grandparents and parents and a complacent government.

When we are speaking of Stone Mountain and its use as a symbol, one has to consider that it was indeed carved as a reaction to desegregation attempts by civil rights workers, both black and white and in between and was funded and supported in part by your parents and grandparents to be used as a symbol of white supremacy and of the south's rebellion against integration efforts and equal opportunity for black southerners.

Contrary to what many don't acknowledge, especially those who defend confederates is that there were black southerners. I am black and I have ancestors who also fought in the Civil War. So does my husband whose family is from GA. The war and the Union victory did provide some suffering for white southerners, but black southerners were already suffering and after Reconstruction they were terrorized, disrespected, their dignity was not acknowledged, they were considered sub human, they were told where they could live, where they could go to school, they had to show "respect" to whites like your grandparents and parents or face punishment. They were rounded up and put on chain gangs. They had no protection from the law or our government or from your grandparents and great grandparents and their intense racism and white superiority mindsets.

There are NO monuments to them like Stone Mountain. It kind of irks me, I'll admit when I see explanations like that above. Like the white suffering, which for the most part was temporary and not all encompassing on the lives of those people like it was for blacks (at least they had the protection of the law and a society that saw them as human beings) is so important that it needs all these monuments and reminders.

Does GA have a monument for black servants who were forced to go to war with their owners? Does GA have a monument for all the people who were lynched or forced into chain gangs? Does GA have a monument for black people who were executed without fair trial? Does GA have a monument for people whose land was stolen from them by whites who didn't like to see blacks "get out of their place" or have any sort of economic prospects?

No they don't have these things as far as I know and if they do, they are NOTHING like the grandeur that is Stone Mountain. And they don't because the descendants of Confederates don't see the suffering of black Georgians as worthy of a monument like they do their white ancestors who fought primarily to keep black Georgians in a subordinate position.

Another amen.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:00 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
To me, confederate memorials are not a source of shame. Neither are they celebratory idols to a better time and place or a symbol of the betterment of one race. They are remnants of a history not far removed from us today to study and understand why we as a people, southern people in particular, are why we are who we are.
Except like it's been pointed out several times already, Stone Mountain's carvings are not remnants of history! We're talking about a carving that's less than 50 years old. Battle grounds and forts are remnants of history, the carving on Stone Mountain is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta