Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:47 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
I'm in Atlanta millennial and I feel trapped. Why should I have to wait for a city to catch up to what I'm looking for?

When you turn 18 you can move wherever you want...right? Until then you might want to let the adults discuss the important issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 06:43 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
I'm too lazy to check, what exactly counts as intown vs burbs? A lot of the neighborhoods are fairly suburban in nature, just denser. Lot's of SFHs with yards and driveways, it's just on a grid. While not my favorite, if I had to I could fairly easily see myself raising a family in that sort of area. Now, I can't see raising a family in a high rise midtown apartment or condo.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:47 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yes and we are not scared or worried about the 'rankings' on Greatschools.com or whatever website.

Amen. Love this.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:15 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I'm too lazy to check, what exactly counts as intown vs burbs? A lot of the neighborhoods are fairly suburban in nature, just denser. Lot's of SFHs with yards and driveways, it's just on a grid. While not my favorite, if I had to I could fairly easily see myself raising a family in that sort of area.
I forget the exact number but the vast majority (maybe 80%?) of the COA is single family homes on individual lots with driveways.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:13 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I forget the exact number but the vast majority (maybe 80%?) of the COA is single family homes on individual lots with driveways.
Not true.

Only about 39% of Atlanta's total housing units is 1 unit single family detached units.

And with this current apartment boom, this number will continue to decrease. The most shocking thing is 32% of the housing units or so is 20+ unit multi-family dwellings.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Not true.

Only about 39% of Atlanta's total housing units is 1 unit single family units.

And with this current apartment boom, this number will continue to decrease. The most shocking thing is 32% of the housing units or so is 20+ unit multi-family dwellings.
Ant,

I appreciate that point and it is valid.

However, I was really referring to land use rather than population. Yes, some areas (such as Buckhead and Midtown) have a high percentage of people living in multifamily, but the SFH areas still take up much of the land areas. I suspect that is even more true as you move out from the major corridors.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:35 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Ant,

I appreciate that point and it is valid.

However, I was really referring to land use rather than population. Yes, some areas (such as Buckhead and Midtown) have a high percentage of people living in multifamily, but the SFH areas still take up much of the land areas. I suspect that is even more true as you move out from the major corridors.

Still doesn't matter. Obviously, dense multi-family housing takes up less space to house more people. That's the point. What matters is the percentage of total housing units in the city for people to live in, not land area in which obviously a single family home will take up more space for much less people than a multi-level multi-family dwelling.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Still doesn't matter. Obviously, dense multi-family housing takes up less space to house more people. That's the point. What matters is the percentage of total housing units in the city for people to live in, not land area in which obviously a single family home will take up more space for much less people than a multi-level multi-family dwelling.
Well, it makes a difference if we're using multi-family vs. SFH with driveways as the distinction between city and suburb. Many areas outside the city have a very high concentration of multi-family residents.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Your source, City Observatory, also states that between 2000 and 2010, Atlanta increased its college educated population in the core of the city (within 3 miles of the CBD) from 16,098 to 22,326, an increase of 6,228 or 39%. In absolute numbers, this is on par with SF, Minneapolis, and Portland. Percentage-wise, it's on par with those cities, Seattle, and Boston. It's 12th on the list and the highest in the Sunbelt.

http://cityobservatory.org/wp-conten...port-Final.pdf page 25

And I guess these almost daily corporate relocations and expansions to Atlanta to tap into the young workforce here are just in my head.
Companies move here to pay folks cheap wages. Let's be honest.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:23 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yes and we are not scared or worried about the 'rankings' on Greatschools.com or whatever website.
Why aren't you scared? Just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta