Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 06:49 AM

15 posts, read 14,644 times

Advertisements

This thread amazes me. Comments about whether South Fulton should incorporate are coming from Atlanta, Brookwood, Vinings, Kirkwood, Arizona, Texas, North Carolina. However, I LIVE in unincorporated South Fulton - in the Cedar Grove area. I am so glad that the people who actually live in this area will have the opportunity to vote on this matter on November 8, 2016.

The main reason I am voting for cityhood is because I am dissatisfied with the level of services that we currently receive. According to an article about why the residents of Johns Creek wanted incorporation, it was said: "Residents wanted more control over issues such as traffic, growth, development and quality of life. They also sought a level of service that was a challenge for the sprawling Fulton County to provide."

I am dismayed to see how much money we are paying into the tax system and how little we are getting back in terms of service. My home was burglarized 2 years ago and it took 2 HOURS for police to come. You can go to www.cityhood.net or voteyescitysfulton.org to see a breakdown about the tax dollars unincorporated South Fulton citizens pay into the system and how much we get back in return for services and quality of life.

If you live in this area, prepare to be shocked.

My husband and I are participating in Fulton County Citizens University and the Fulton County fire chief told us that the City of Atlanta has to contract with them to provide services to the southern parts of Atlanta. So, if a fire occurs at Mayor Reed's house, the City of Atlanta won't put it out - Fulton County will!

So the question becomes - if the City of Atlanta annexes the areas they are petitioning for in unincorporated South Fulton, how will the City of Atlanta provide service to them when they can't adequately service the folks they have already?

Have you ever heard of someone being asked to change a tire while the car is in motion? That is the same as allowing annexations to proceed from the City of Atlanta while the issue of South Fulton cityhood is in play. That is not right nor is it fair.

But unincorporated South Fulton citizens have a voice in this and can use it to voice their concerns at the next Fulton County Board of Commissioners meeting on Wed, Jun 15, 10:00 AM.

Here is an announcement about it:

The City of Atlanta is petitioning to annex many unincorporated South Fulton properties in excess of $100 Million dollars, including taking possession of Sandtown Park and Recreational Facility, Southwest Arts Center, Cascade Fire Station, and others.

To learn more about Atlanta's annexation plans, click here: Fulton Co. parents fight Atlanta land, school grab | 11alive.com

Save the date:

Fulton County Board of Commissioners Meeting
Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Fulton County Government Center
Council Chambers
141 Pryor Street
Atlanta, Ga 30303

NEARBY PARKING

* Underground Atlanta Garage - 95 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr., SW (391 feet NE)
* Underground Atlanta Parking Garage - 75 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr., SW (400 feet NE)
* 183 Pryor Street Parking Lot - 183 Pryor St., SW (486 feet SW)

NEARBY MARTA RAIL STATIONS

* Five Points - 30 Alabama St SW (976 feet N)

Last edited by Kimgem; 06-10-2016 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 07:35 AM

31 posts, read 28,925 times
I have been following this thread for a while now. It's very interesting hearing both sides of the story. Correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding, even if they object, Fulton County Commissioners cannot stop annexations from proceeding especially if property owners met the annexation requirements. This will be an uphill battle for South Fulton, but I applaud you guys effort.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:51 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,487,902 times
Correction above poster, Atlanta did not petition those areas to annex into their city limits, 60% of the residents in those areas petitioned the City of Atlanta to be annexed. This type of misinformation is why lies and half-truths are told. BTW, I am a citizen of the southwestern Fulton County and has been technically still is a part of the unincorporated areas.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice123 View Post
I have been following this thread for a while now. It's very interesting hearing both sides of the story. Correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding, even if they object, Fulton County Commissioners cannot stop annexations from proceeding especially if property owners met the annexation requirements. This will be an uphill battle for South Fulton, but I applaud you guys effort.
They cannot stop the process at all. The only way their objections would be legally upheld is if the land use changed, density increased, or zoning was changed a more intense category with the annexation. Otherwise, it is basically a ceremonial recommendation.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:16 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimgem View Post
This thread amazes me. Comments about whether South Fulton should incorporate are coming from Atlanta, Brookwood, Vinings, Kirkwood, Arizona, Texas, North Carolina. However, I LIVE in unincorporated South Fulton - in the Cedar Grove area. I am so glad that the people who actually live in this area will have the opportunity to vote on this matter on November 8, 2016.

Don't let the location tag fool yah, I'm just having a bit of an 'out of city' experience right now. I plan on getting back into the trees in a year or so. (~_^)

Quote:
The main reason I am voting for cityhood is because I am dissatisfied with the level of services that we currently receive. According to an article about why the residents of Johns Creek wanted incorporation, it was said: "Residents wanted more control over issues such as traffic, growth, development and quality of life. They also sought a level of service that was a challenge for the sprawling Fulton County to provide."

I mean, they could have more control with their local government by joining an existing city. The existing south-Fulton cities are pretty tiny, and Atlanta has a decent Council and NPU set up for local control, with some better representation in the planning departments likely coming.

Quote:
I am dismayed to see how much money we are paying into the tax system and how little we are getting back in terms of service. My home was burglarized 2 years ago and it took 2 HOURS for police to come. You can go to www.cityhood.net or voteyescitysfulton.org to see a breakdown about the tax dollars unincorporated South Fulton citizens pay into the system and how much we get back in return for services and quality of life.

This is all fair, but I'm questioning if creating a new city will fix that. You're assuming you'll have enough money to pay for better services. As we're seeing with the outdated studies and new annexations, that's all a bit questionable right now.

Quote:
If you live in this area, prepare to be shocked.

My husband and I are participating in Fulton County Citizens University and the Fulton County fire chief told us that the City of Atlanta has to contract with them to provide services to the southern parts of Atlanta. So, if a fire occurs at Mayor Reed's house, the City of Atlanta won't put it out - Fulton County will!

So the question becomes - if the City of Atlanta annexes the areas they are petitioning for in unincorporated South Fulton, how will the City of Atlanta provide service to them when they can't adequately service the folks they have already?

I mean.. you've seen just how narrow some of the arms of Atlanta are in the south, right? It's not that the city can't build more fire stations (we have the budget surplus to be able to handle it), it's that it's not needed. If Fulton Co. already had a station in the area, it makes sense for everyone to just use the existing station. It's cheaper for the city to contract to the county given the limited area of the city, and the county gets payment for servicing an area not usually in its preview.

Again, it's not that the city is incompetent or unwilling here, it's simply that it's more cost-effective to contract to existing services than to plop down a whole new station. We'll likely see that change in the not so distant future with the newly annexed area(s).

Quote:
Have you ever heard of someone being asked to change a tire while the car is in motion? That is the same as allowing annexations to proceed from the City of Atlanta while the issue of South Fulton cityhood is in play. That is not right nor is it fair.

Considering all the residential annexations require the approval of the majority of those who live there, and the commercial annexations seem act the same way with the businesses (though I could use come clarification on this), it's neither wrong, nor unfair to those who are choosing where to be annexed.

Would you force them to choose your city over another? How is that fair?

Old 06-10-2016, 10:41 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
Quote:
Oh, give me a break.

The ridiculous 'all available unincorporated land anywhere' borders of this proposed city, is what's forcing people into quick action, forcing people's hand. You're talking about neighborhoods who identify with Atlanta, who live right off 285, directly bordering Atlanta, or are even in an unincorporated peninsula, almost completely surrounded by the city. There was no rush on the matter before, now you've created a rush.

The selfish land grab going on is the South Fulton cityhood people. By all means make a new city in the large unincorporated area over by the river, one is definitely needed. But why does it have to be, an all or none situation, for every single last unincorporated property anywhere, no matter if they're going to be an island or a fringe peninsula, surrounded by Union City or by Atlanta?

The proper way to do this would have been to create a new city that does not border Atlanta, then let everyone in the middle individually figure out which city they want to be in, via annexations into either.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice123 View Post
Thanks so much, Justice! From my understanding, while the commissioners can't stop the annexations, they do have power to object and send the issue to arbitration.

You are not wrong that this will be a challenge. But we are up for it. Our children are depending on us to make this happen so they won't fall into the cracks of the Atlanta Public School system.

Our cause is a grassroots efforts of elected officials, business people, teachers, preachers, students, soldiers - people from all walks of life who realize that not one of us is as smart as ALL of us put together; we need unity for this effort to succeed. Our time is now.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much, Justice! From my understanding, while the commissioners can't stop the annexations, they do have power to object and send the issue to arbitration.

You are not wrong that this will be a challenge. But we are up for it. Our children are depending on us to make this happen so they won't fall into the cracks of the Atlanta Public School system.

Our cause is a grassroots efforts of elected officials, business people, teachers, preachers, students, soldiers - people from all walks of life who realize that not one of us is as smart as ALL of us put together; we need unity for this effort to succeed. Our time is now.
The arbitration would be useless because unless any of those aforementioned conditions apply then it will only be valid for 12 months to the day of their recommendation. BTW, I've heard of just as many falling through the cracks in Fulton County Schools, but no one is saying this aloud either. Those are dynamics and issues that occur in a urbanized area with public schools. The only solution would be a unified countywide school district, but I know that would likely won't happen anytime soon if ever...

Old 06-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
BTW, I am a citizen of the southwestern Fulton County and has been technically still is a part of the unincorporated areas.
Hmm. I am curious. Will you please clarify what you mean by "technically still is a part of the unincorporated areas"? What area of unincorporated South Fulton do you live in? What is happening in this thread is a prime example of what's happening in unincorporated South Fulton today.

People who largely don't live in our area are standing on the outside looking in, making decisions for us that won't affect them personally nor directly one iota.

When we become our own city, we will have our own mayor and city council whom we elect and who live in our area for transparency and accountability of government. When they make a decision, they will be affected directly too. After all, they will be our friends and neighbors. So they will think twice (or 2 or 3 times) about making decisions that negatively impact our area.

Last edited by Kimgem; 06-10-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 11:44 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,084 times
Quote:

I'm not against the City of South Fulton but let's be honest, South Fulton schools are just as bad as Atlanta. The only difference is the Magnet programs and the ability to transfer to a North Fulton school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta