Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 01:40 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
Interesting question. It has a tremendous opportunity given it's location. Will it meet resistance from leaders and supporters of other schools? Can it get more money from the State? Can it get the research dollars?
They've reached $120 in contracts. That's pretty good.

Quote:
It may never have the name recognition of huge flagship state schools or elite private schools, but that doesn't mean it can't be great. University of Central Florida in Orlando has really built itself into a very good school over the years. To an outsider, it just sounds like any old "directional" state school, and I think many people would be surprised to see it's below 50% acceptance rate, research activity, academic quality and size. Like GSU, it also has relatively big-time athletics - D1 in a great recruiting area for a lot of sports, but not Power 5 conference.
I think UCF targeted studies like computer science to excel in. Plus their football program has done very well. UCF was pretty much on par with GSU long ago, but they have propelled themselves in the public eye as a pretty big deal. FSU, Miami, and Florida will over shadow them. FSU should give GSU some hope though.

Quote:
The one thing that schools on the rise like GSU usually don't have in relation to the flagship state Us or the elite private schools is a substantial endowment - which is always a hedge against short-term economic bumps and enables a school to think more strategically over the long term.
They are doing much better in fund raising. If wikipedia is right, they have $186 million. Not bad, but to be a big deal it should be pushing $1 billion at least.

Quote:
Also, being a great school, doesn't necessarily have to equate with being a "national" school - you know, the ones everyone knows either through sports and/or simply because of their elite status (e.g., Harvard). GSU could be school like San Jose State, which is easily overshadowed by Stanford and Berkeley in the Bay Area, yet has grown, improved, has great ties to the tech industry, and thrives under radar (well, under radar to most of the nation, not in the Bay Area). Given how much Atlanta area and the Southeast has grown in general over the past two decades, GSU could be the same sort of school.
I think GSU had been hoping to be "Atlanta's university" but Kennesaw State had become a rival which isn't so good. GSU would like to be more in competition with Tech and UGA than KSU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 03:50 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post

Also, being a great school, doesn't necessarily have to equate with being a "national" school - you know, the ones everyone knows either through sports and/or simply because of their elite status (e.g., Harvard). GSU could be school like San Jose State, which is easily overshadowed by Stanford and Berkeley in the Bay Area, yet has grown, improved, has great ties to the tech industry, and thrives under radar (well, under radar to most of the nation, not in the Bay Area). Given how much Atlanta area and the Southeast has grown in general over the past two decades, GSU could be the same sort of school.
Exactly the point I was trying to make with the University of Cincinnati it is a very good school but isn't known as a national elite school but it is a top flight research university.

There is a really good article on this today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/op...e-iphone-share

If you compare averages, blue states are substantially richer (even adjusting for cost of living) and their residents are better educated. Companies there do more research and development and produce more patents. Students score better on tests of basic science-oriented skills like math.

Not trying to get political on this issue, but this is the main reason you need to promote research universities in your state.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:39 PM

597 posts, read 667,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Exactly the point I was trying to make with the University of Cincinnati it is a very good school but isn't known as a national elite school but it is a top flight research university.

There is a really good article on this today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/op...e-iphone-share

If you compare averages, blue states are substantially richer (even adjusting for cost of living) and their residents are better educated. Companies there do more research and development and produce more patents. Students score better on tests of basic science-oriented skills like math.

Not trying to get political on this issue, but this is the main reason you need to promote research universities in your state.
Definitely. Cincinnati is a "quiet" major university; and major in every way except Power 5 sports conference. It's an excellent school. As a research university and as a sports school, it would have been a fantastic addition to the Big 10 when they went to 14 schools. I would have liked to have seen it. But, I don't think OSU would want it to happen and there's the whole "new media market" thing, i.e., Cincinnati was not going to bring in enough new eyes considering many in the area already watch OSU.

And unlike CFU, which I talked about earlier, GSU, and San Jose State, it has a sizeable endowment -over $1 billion.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:26 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,420,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think I misunderstood the criteria for what makes a major university. Georgia state still seems like a big deal to me.
GSU is a major university, but not on a larger scale as other major universities

Old 07-31-2016, 09:05 PM

597 posts, read 667,265 times
I think "major," as a lot of posters are talking about it, goes beyond student population, simply size, but also includes level of research money, breadth of graduate programs, and some other factors (endowment to some extent, sports to some extent).

Based on simple size of the university, GSU has been "major" for quite some times. But, again, a lot of us are talking about more than that.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:19 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfam View Post
GSU? definitely not a major univ. yet. Basically, it is still a teaching univ. Speacking of research, which GSU's weakness is, is a major deciding factor to determine if the university is a major one or not. By this measurement, only Emory, Tech, and UGA can be considered as major univ. in Georgia.
SCAD? Mercer?

Old 08-02-2016, 11:15 PM

770 posts, read 603,940 times
GSU reminds me a lot of Old Dominion in VA, a clear school behind the likes of Virginia, Virginia Tech, William & Mary, VCU and more, and a former commuter school, but they started to try to make the move to being more of a campus, sports, all-around school about a decade ago and they started playing football in 2009, GSU started in 2010. Both are also in relatively urban parts of cities, GSU more urban than ODU.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
SCAD? Mercer?
SCAD is bit too narrow in focus. Small and not an academic heavyweight.

Mercer has a wide range of offerings, but likewise a bit small and not an academic heavyweight.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
GSU is a major university, but not on a larger scale as other major universities
So a minor major?

Old 08-05-2016, 01:41 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
GSU is not in US News' Top 200. Britain's Times placed GSU as #487 in the world. Not great, but good to be recognized. Emory #79, Georgia Tech #86, UGA #204, Augusta U #462. I think Augusta is resting on the laurels of its med school.
It also just became a research university within the last couple of years so it will have a ways to go until it can be considered on the level as the other research universities in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta