Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:24 PM

387 posts, read 516,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalWaves View Post
Nothing but good news on this threads which is great. But let's talk in constructive ways about the negatives. In this case CRIME.

Lately is been and is getting out of hand. I don't see no one emphasising things that needs to be done. Guns seem to be out there in the streets in the wrong hands for example and no policy about it. Not to say the guns are the sole culprits but do certainly play a role.

Is hard to look at crime stats and rates since everything is divided by towns that in 2 steps you cross into the next one. But as a whole the metro area seems to be certainly getting out of hand.

Till when are we going to ignore the trend? Till we become Baltimore?

EXCLUSIVE: Atlanta Homicides Tracker details cases of 46 victims
My daughter 27 moved to Atlanta about 2 yrs ago and has done well. She likes the city, lives near MARTA to avoid driving, understands all big cities have areas that you have be mindful of crime. Crime knows no boundaries so you have to be prepared in all neighborhoods. I wouldn't compare Atlanta to Chicago for example but Baltimore is a city I do avoid. Mayors & City Councils are a big concern in high crime cities....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 07:28 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,523,981 times
Baltimore is like one giant slum. I know what areas to avoid in Atlanta. Only time I have ever had a problem in Atlanta was riding Marta from the airport and some unruly teens got on at college park station and started harrassing passengers.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:34 PM

139 posts, read 127,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
My daughter 27 moved to Atlanta about 2 yrs ago and has done well. She likes the city, lives near MARTA to avoid driving, understands all big cities have areas that you have be mindful of crime. Crime knows no boundaries so you have to be prepared in all neighborhoods. I wouldn't compare Atlanta to Chicago for example but Baltimore is a city I do avoid. Mayors & City Councils are a big concern in high crime cities....
Nooo definetly not like Baltimore or even close. Is a way to create concience more than anything.

Btw if any visitor or you with your daughter and or any future resident,DO NOT take this thread as if Atlanta is crime infested and full of risks. Is not! Is a beautiful place with a lot going on and improving in many aspects.

But that's exactly why we must tackle any trend from the root. Is more than anything the point I'm trying to make. Do not worry and might God bless her and keep her safe.

Last edited by InternationalWaves; 08-14-2017 at 07:52 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 07:47 PM

198 posts, read 154,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Today I learned you can Airbnb an apartment........

Judging by how many of the listings go out of their way not to mention the name of the building (Cyan and SkyHouse in particular), I don't get the impression it's permitted. However, enforcement is obviously lax. It's always a treat driving home to find a rented/leased/stolen luxury car parked in the middle of the street with both doors open, music blasting, and some dipsh*t standing next to it talking on the phone, pretending to be on an important call.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:49 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,537,550 times
Back on topic, please.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:15 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,370,103 times
Quote:
Atlanta crime rate: Murders up, crime down in Atlanta

Might not be "too much" but is substantial!
Your link says crime is down. More murders, but overall, crime is way down. Where is this skyrocketing?

Old 08-14-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Your link says crime is down. More murders, but overall, crime is way down. Where is this skyrocketing?
You don't think is bad enough for the worse crime of all to be up? And again..Those are city limits stats. I'm sure the overall crime in the area would prove my point.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,104,457 times
Quote:
You don't think is bad enough for the worse crime of all to be up? And again..Those are city limits stats. I'm sure the overall crime in the area would prove my point.
I'll hold the alarm until COA cracks 200 murders, the low 100s are pretty good IMO compared to numbers 20+ years ago. Atlanta in 2017 is soft compared to Atlanta in 1993, this city has underwent a tremendous transformation in terms of crime.

The metro area as a whole has been around the 300-350 range for a while now though, local media doesn't advertise it and most people just think in terms of COA, but those are the totals you would get if you added up the murders from the 5 core counties of the metro. 40-60 each in Cobb, Gwinnett and Clayton, then throw in 100+ each for Fulton and Dekalb. Add in Henry and a few other growing counties dealing their own issues and it's even higher. That's not that good, but at the same time it isn't anything new either.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I'll hold the alarm until COA cracks 200 murders, the low 100s are pretty good IMO compared to numbers 20+ years ago. The metro area as a whole has been around the 300-350 range for a while now though, local media doesn't advertise it and most people just think in terms of COA, but those are the totals you would get if you added up the murders from the 5 core counties of the metro. 40-60 each in Cobb, Gwinnett and Clayton, then throw in 100+ each for Fulton and Dekalb. Add in Henry and a few other growing counties sealing their own issues and it's even higher. That's not that good, but at the same time it isn't anything new either.
I was looking for them numbers!Is exactly what I was wondering!

Old 08-14-2017, 10:44 PM

http://atlantaintownpaper.com/2016/0...es-statistics/

This! Is time to get back to "Operation Whiplash"..And but so DeKalb county too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta