Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2007, 03:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
This is my problem, why is Atlanta Georgia still self segragating? Is this 2006? This is where the heart of some of the most historical civil rights events took place. All so we can still be race segragated? Ridiculous.
Just about every place is. No racism involved in most cases at all -- most folks simply feel more comfortable being with folks who are similar to themselves. We saw it in the Twin Cities with Hmong, Somali, Russian, and other immigrant groups who tended to cluster together, and also in terms of that metro's black and asian populations, and it's also true down here.

Some people like mixing everything up and experiencing tons of new things, and that's really cool, but I don't know how common that attitude is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 06:17 PM

563 posts, read 2,774,179 times
The above post right there is why, collectively, African-Americans would much rather spend our money elsewhere.

Why move where we aren't wanted? As the days go by and I read the various postings here, it's painfully obvious.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:29 PM

29 posts, read 105,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
This is my problem, why is Atlanta Georgia still self segragating? Is this 2006? This is where the heart of some of the most historical civil rights events took place. All so we can still be race segragated? Ridiculous.
95% of people prefer to live with their own. What is ridiculous is that you won't understand because of you backwards 'diversity' ideology that practically no one lives by. We are al different and like our own. I prefer my own too and want to live with my own people.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 13,252 times
I can't believe how ridiculous you all sound with your prejudice attitudes. I am white, blonde and blue eyes but yet I am spanish, you would never be able to tell me apart (so called white) becareful there are many spanish countries.They are not all from Mexico. Many are very educated we are not all the same.
I will look into those areas and buy there. Believe me when I tell you that I can afford these places. I would like to inform you that many of our children are now doctors, lawyers, etc.. Please note that many blacks are too educated and rich. I suggest that all of those who have the money buy in these so called (white communities) Who is truely white anyways!!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:04 PM

218 posts, read 1,189,312 times
Default So, after reading some of this nonsense, it boils down to this...

As I read through this post as well as others, I have come to one conclusion on this forum.

diversity=poor schools+lower home values+a high number of foreclosures+high crime

Blatently put, DeKalb County, Clayton County, South Cobb, South Fulton, and other places that are not what they were "back in the day."

The milk and honey is on the northside, mainly East Cobb, Alpharetta, Suwanee, Dacula, ANYTHING north of I-20. The only prosperous place south of I-20 is Peachtree City, and oh, let's not let Peachtree City become diverse, or else it will fit the equation above.

I love this forum. I get my daily dose of laughs everyday. It is amazing, especially people that don't live in diverse areas, have to say about them. OH! I forgot, most wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Wow. Proud to be born and raised on the southside and I'm glad I live on the southside so I fit in the above equation. Anybody wanting to attack me, please, send me PM and we can chat over tea and scones.

And by the way, I know PLENTY of blacks buying in Dunwoody/Sandy Springs. Sometimes it's just who you know.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:17 AM

212 posts, read 547,144 times
I live in Alpharetta and would love Marta to come up here. I live in a diverse, less than 10 year old subdivision, not just White and Black, but Hispanic, Asian, Indian. Houses run $240 (3 or 4 Bed) to $275 for 4 Bed/Basement.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,321 times
Default Dunwoody - Lack of Black people

My husband and I have owned a home in Dunwoody for 10 years - we are Black. I believe that there are few Black people in Dunwoody because it is expensive (to buy and maintain) and because realtors (black and white) may not offer their black clients the opportunity to look at homes in the Dunwoody area.

I love Dunwoody and I have not ever felt unwelcome. Clearly there are still racial issues in the US, in Atlanta and probably Dunwoody. My daughter went to a local Dunwoody elementary school and my whole family roams around Dunwoody without incident.

I believe anyone will be welcome into the Dunwoody community who contributes to the community atmosphere and values, regardless of their color.

The main issue is not Black and White - it's GREEN!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:07 PM

340 posts, read 1,577,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMatthews View Post
You are abolutely right. With financial resources you can maintain your house more beatiful than your neighbor and put them in shame. It's all about money and willingness to spend it in a right way. If you are richer, whites look up on you.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:57 PM

826 posts, read 3,121,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMatthews View Post

I totally agree with this.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 11,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
The simplest answer is affordability. Most Whites can't afford to buy in Dunwoody/Sandy Springs. But if modern-day segregation is to be successful, then affordability will have to play a major part. Factor that in, and it's not so simple anymore.

I'm one of those African Americans who rents in Sandy Springs. When we're ready to buy, I hope to be able to buy here also. I won't be scared away. At the same time, I plan to do what you're doing and actually say what's going on instead of pretending like I don't see it. The process of fighting against any kind of segregation today is tough. The local news begins and ends with Black faces and Black crime in the same old neighborhoods. So as long as this continues, folks will feel justified in their presumptions that Blacks=crime--no matter where they live. And they'll feel justified in their self segregation. On the other side, the Black folks who are law abiding and taxpaying, church-going, hard-working citizens have been way too silent about this living arrangement. They don't feel welcome as potential homeowners in the areas you mentioned. While this is self-imposed, it's definitely part of the plan.

I agree with you 100%, jewel: it's ridiculous. The first place me and my family visited was the Dr. King historic site. How ironic it is that so many civil rights victories came out of Atlanta--yet it's still one of the most segregated cities in the country. It's shameful if you ask me.

I say blame the policy makers. More interested in their paychecks than developing a better way of life for Atlanta residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta