Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 05:20 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,988,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
It's still one of, if not THE most trafficked zone in the LA basin so traffic heading there will be bad.

I posted examples above. But you can pull out a map and just see from random spots how long it takes to get somewhere. Right now on a free flowing Sunday in both places, the suburb to suburb traffic is significantly longer in Atlanta at similar distances when compared to greater LA.

It is low density precisely due to its layout, in large part the infrastructure design. It could still be as low dense as it is, but be easier to get to point A to B and not take as long. Personally I think it's a big hazard to always see USPS or dump trucks try to do their jobs on the side of these busy country roads. With more growth, I believe the problem will get worse.
I think that we agree 90% on Atlanta, less so on LA.

It will be interesting to see if and how Atlanta figures out its roadway infrastructure issues. Or maybe it doesn't because I can't see a fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 08:25 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I posted examples above. But you can pull out a map and just see from random spots how long it takes to get somewhere. Right now on a free flowing Sunday in both places, the suburb to suburb traffic is significantly longer in Atlanta at similar distances when compared to greater LA.
This is only really true of suburbs that are significantly OTP yet are in sorta the same direction, which happens to be true of the routes you picked.

Marietta to Roswell, or Newnan to McDonough, are examples of difficult, annoying drives. But Marietta to Newnan or Roswell to McDonough are quite direct via expressways, and parts of the journeys have multiple route options.

For most people, your concern is just not that big of a deal. Most of Atlanta’s “stuff” is near the perimeter, and is thus pretty accessible from all suburbs. The airport, the business districts, most of the entertainment areas, etc, are pretty darned accessible to everything. I don’t think Atlanta’s shortcoming you’re emphasizing so much (lacking an outer loop, basically) is anywhere near important enough to put its traffic concerns on the level of LA. LA is massively more spread out than Atlanta, not just its people but also its business areas, entertainment areas, and things to see and do.

I spent maybe 2 cumulative weeks in SoCal in 2021, but during that time I was in two traffic jams worse than anything I’ve had in Atlanta in a couple years. In the real world, there’s just no comparing the two.

Old 09-18-2022, 09:33 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
This is only really true of suburbs that are significantly OTP yet are in sorta the same direction, which happens to be true of the routes you picked.

Marietta to Roswell, or Newnan to McDonough, are examples of difficult, annoying drives. But Marietta to Newnan or Roswell to McDonough are quite direct via expressways, and parts of the journeys have multiple route options.

For most people, your concern is just not that big of a deal. Most of Atlanta’s “stuff” is near the perimeter, and is thus pretty accessible from all suburbs. The airport, the business districts, most of the entertainment areas, etc, are pretty darned accessible to everything. I don’t think Atlanta’s shortcoming you’re emphasizing so much (lacking an outer loop, basically) is anywhere near important enough to put its traffic concerns on the level of LA. LA is massively more spread out than Atlanta, not just its people but also its business areas, entertainment areas, and things to see and do.

I spent maybe 2 cumulative weeks in SoCal in 2021, but during that time I was in two traffic jams worse than anything I’ve had in Atlanta in a couple years. In the real world, there’s just no comparing the two.
In the real world, there is plenty of suburb to suburb traffic. Many people go to the perimeter because there is no other way. If it wasnt a big deal there wouldnt be multiple proposals on ways to fix it. No one said LA traffic is lighter than Atlanta traffic. What was said is it is easier moving around LA during non heavy traffic times than Atlanta because the infrastructure is better. No one has disproved that. It is also way more than just an outer loop and I gave those examples.

The traffic concerns are different. LA is spread out but densely. If it was spread out at Atlanta level density, could you imagine the traffic nightmares then? So although Atlanta is not near LA's size, it is still approaching 7 million people which is getting closer to the population of LA County.

Edit: and I personally think it's the infrastructure/road design thats the reason Georgia is top 10 in accident fatality rate

Last edited by DabOnEm; 09-18-2022 at 09:54 PM..

Old 09-19-2022, 05:23 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,706,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I don't think Atlanta is isolated at all. I drove to Chicago, New Orleans, Orlando, Charlotte, and Nashville. Some of the cities several times. Quick flights to NYC, Miami, Dallas, Boston, Philly, DC, and Houston. And the epicenter of the population will continually shift towards the south.
Agreed. Having come from the Twin Cities, Atlanta does not feel isolated at all. There’s basically a decent sized city within 2 hrs in every direction

Old 09-19-2022, 01:58 PM

Right now at 3:52pm on a Monday:

Smyrna to Buckhead- 10 miles in 20 minutes
Buckhead to Smyrna - 10 miles in 20 minutes

Sandy Springs to Smyrna - 11 miles in 28 minutes
Smyrna to Sandy Springs - 13 miles in 28 minutes

I think that I see what’s happening and what’s being discussed. There are very limited ways to get from place to place and sometimes the quickest route will add several miles.

Old 09-19-2022, 02:02 PM

4pm

Buckhead to Decatur - 12 miles in 38 min
Decatur to Buckhead - 10 miles in 33 min

These times don’t seem bad for almost rush hour.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:05 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,404,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
NYC offers great leisure amenities but basic quality of life aspects of NYC are horrible unless you are a multi-millionaire.

It is a good place for making money or spending money (for leisure as a tourist), but not great for living.
You need to be a multi-millionaire to live in nyc?

What exactly do people like you get out of making lies on the internet. Is it a way to cope with your insecurity?

You do not need to be a multi millionaire to live in any American city Lmao.

In reality I think someone who makes 200K a year in nyc as a single adult would live fine.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:47 PM

1,376 posts, read 930,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
You need to be a multi-millionaire to live in nyc?

What exactly do people like you get out of making lies on the internet. Is it a way to cope with your insecurity?

You do not need to be a multi millionaire to live in any American city Lmao.

In reality I think someone who makes 200K a year in nyc as a single adult would live fine.
Sure, if you want to live in a cramped apartment or with a roommate. It's hard to do that in Manhattan unless you live outside of Manhattan and want to commute.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:51 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,433,240 times
Wonder what perks Atlanta gave them to say that;

Old 11-21-2022, 01:35 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,942,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Wonder what perks Atlanta gave them to say that;
Try none. In case you're not aware, the Economist is a widely respected London based publication. Interesting that your city didn't make the list...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta