Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 12:01 PM

2,632 posts, read 1,231,986 times

Advertisements

Seattle is a cool town, my main issue is how remote it is relative to other metro areas.

Portland is a few hours south, and Vancouver, BC is not far either. But besides that, the PNW is really really out there.

Even compared to the South east, where Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Birmingham, and the Florida cities are all within a relatively close drive to each other.

The Midwest has Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis, Milwaukee and the Twin Cities.

And the Northeast to DC doesn't even need to be described.

I enjoyed visiting the PNW, but I have to say, from about Redding to Vancouver BC, it felt like I was really far out in a remote area at times. It's not a bad feeling, so I want to make it clear that I am bashing it, I just wonder as someone who has lived on the eastern seaboard my whole life, if that is something that I'd be willing to live in full-time.

I'd like to hear from people who have moved to the PNW from the east coast share about that if it's something they've noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 01:30 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,274,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I'd like to hear from people who have moved to the PNW from the east coast share about that if it's something they've noticed.
I've only ever lived in Atlanta and Seattle, and they're definitely both geographically isolated, in terms of being near other major cities. I might could give Seattle the slight edge though, as Portland is a slightly less than 3 hour drive away, depending on traffic, and Vancouver BC is more like 2 hours 30 mins or so, but of course involves a border crossing.

And that's it out here, for major cities nearby. But those 2 metros are both fairly larger than Nashville, and I guess about comparable in size to Charlotte, metros which are both over 4 hours drive away from Atlanta. Jacksonville is even further away, and even smaller.

Atlanta is basically at least 8-10 hours away from any metro in its size class. So. But definitely both Seattle and Atlanta are more isolated than large metros of the Northeast and Midwest. Neither have much nearby.

Anyway, as far as Seattle vs Atlanta, I could give you a detailed list of all kinds of various comparisons, and while they both win and lose in some categories, all around I would choose Seattle as the better place to live, at least for me.

That's why I find this "Atlanta is the most livable city" declaration pretty dubious. I've only ever lived in 2 cities/metros, and Atlanta was in many ways the least livable of the two, for me.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 6,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Anyway, as far as Seattle vs Atlanta, I could give you a detailed list of all kinds of various comparisons, and while they both win and lose in some categories, all around I would choose Seattle as the better place to live, at least for me.

elaborate

Old 09-13-2022, 01:43 PM

In terms of flying, both Atlanta and Seattle can get to any city on the continent within a day's ordeal. So, I mean. Yes, Atlanta has shorter flight times to the northeast and Chicago (and Seattle has shorter flights to California and Hawaii and Alaska), but it's still just as big of a hassle, as you have to get to the airport early, the airport security takes time, there's delays in boarding your flight, etc. The total ordeal of it is not really all that much different. And they're both Delta hubs.

So as far as flying, really at the end of the day, I don't feel that much less connected than I was in Atlanta. Now, internationally, Atlanta I'm sure probably has more direct flights and such. But, that's not as much of a need for most of us.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:00 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,983,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I haven't tried LA's bus system so I can't comment on it but I like that they're expanding rail. Their traffic is a lot worse than Atlanta's however.
Yes because LA has way more people so rush hour traffic is worse, but it is easier moving around LA than Atlanta in non rush hour traffic because LA has a very good road and freeway network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
LA has come a long way over the last few decades in expanding its rail transit, but it still has a long way to go to compete with its peer cities of NYC and Chicago.
NYC is in a league of its own when it comes to rail transit in America. NYC was already a major world city by 1900 having about 3.5 million people, Chicago almost 2 million people, and LA just barely eclipsing 100k at the same time. So yes LA has a ways to go to compete with NYC but not Chicago in the transit department. Metrolink is already comparable to Metra , and LA has the largest intown rail expansion in the country right now so it is catching up.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:07 PM

6,568 posts, read 12,070,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtyfui View Post
Is Atlanta competing with its peers? definitely not. Seattle is blowing it out the water and it has 2 million less in its metro. LA is building the most rail (along with Seattle) of any city in America, more than NY and Chicago combined. I think LA is in a very good position in the future.
I didn't say Atlanta was competing with its peers, by any means. Technically DC is Atlanta's peer and it puts both Atlanta and LA to shame.

Quote:
I've only ever lived in Atlanta and Seattle, and they're definitely both geographically isolated, in terms of being near other major cities. I might could give Seattle the slight edge though, as Portland is a slightly less than 3 hour drive away, depending on traffic, and Vancouver BC is more like 2 hours 30 mins or so, but of course involves a border crossing.

And that's it out here, for major cities nearby. But those 2 metros are both fairly larger than Nashville, and I guess about comparable in size to Charlotte, metros which are both over 4 hours drive away from Atlanta. Jacksonville is even further away, and even smaller.

Atlanta is basically at least 8-10 hours away from any metro in its size class. So. But definitely both Seattle and Atlanta are more isolated than large metros of the Northeast and Midwest. Neither have much nearby.

That's why I find this "Atlanta is the most livable city" declaration pretty dubious. I've only ever lived in 2 cities/metros, and Atlanta was in many ways the least livable of the two, for me.
If I could afford Seattle then I would move there in a heartbeat. I sort of regret not buying there 5+ years ago when I had a chance. Not just because of the transit but with the culture/people overall I feel like I fit in better. It's also a shorter flight to Tokyo (the most livable of all the places I lived). More than the city of Seattle, I like the natural scenery of Washington State. Also Leavenworth, WA >>> Helen, GA (no comparison).

Old 09-13-2022, 06:37 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,110,114 times
Quote:

Atlanta is 8-10 hours away from any metro in its size and class is because there only like 10-12 cities Atlanta size and class in the first place. If this was the case then all metros outside Bos-Wash are isolated. Even Dallas to Houston is 6 to 7 hours.

Meanwhile there's over 50 metros above a million in the US, Even with adding Vancouver that's only gives 2 others metros over a million with in 400 sq mi radius of Seattle...... to add to that if we went 500,000 metros would just add Boise and Spokane. So 3 metros a million, plus 2 half million metros with in a 400 sq mi radius of Seattle including Seattle.

With 400 sq mi radius of Atlanta there Charlotte, Birmingham, Raleigh, Memphis, Jacksonville, Nashville, Orlando, Louisville ,.... than Tampa and New Orleans barely miss as they are less than 5 miles over the mark. To add to that is above more 500,000 metros. Chattanooga, Greenville, Augusta, Charleston. Greensboro, and Knoxville. So if did same with Atlanta that 9 metro over a million, with 6 other metro over a half a million with in 400 sq mi.

I don't know if you know this, The Southeast is one most dense and populated areas in the country, Not to mention Atlanta specific location. being an East Coast state Which East Coast states is over 1/3 the country alone. And Being on the piedmont. Did you know the Piedmont Atlanta to Raleigh there are 5 CSA's over a million that run into each other. Your mostly going City to Suburb to exurbs to Suburbs to city almost the whole way.

From
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...ed-states-2012

Old 09-13-2022, 07:28 PM

Like I said, I agree, Seattle is definitely isolated, way in the northwest. But I certainly felt pretty isolated in Atlanta, as well. None of the largest 20 US metros are anywhere remotely near Atlanta. You have to go down the list to #22 (Charlotte) before one is within 5 hours away (and just barely).

And, the same is true of Seattle. Yes, Atlanta has lots of small cities within a few hours of it, scattered all around the southeast, but you'd never really have any reason to go to most of them if you lived in Atlanta, being superior to them all.

Chicago is maybe a little less isolated, because it's the major Amtrak hub, in addition to an airport and interstate hub. It's fairly near Detroit, the 14th largest metro, and Minneapolis, the 16th.

And yes, the northeast is the one quadrant of the country that's not isolated. Over 50 million people live in the very well-connected Washington to Boston corridor, and that's projected to soon reach 60 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_megalopolis

Whether Atlanta is more isolated or not than Seattle is debatable, but the main relevant point is that Atlanta is isolated. The fact that it's only a 2.5 hour drive to Montgomery, and even smaller southern towns, is pretty irrelevant to most ATLiens.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:03 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,983,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Atlanta is 8-10 hours away from any metro in its size and class is because there only like 10-12 cities Atlanta size and class in the first place. If this was the case then all metros outside Bos-Wash are isolated. Even Dallas to Houston is 6 to 7 hours.

Meanwhile there's over 50 metros above a million in the US, Even with adding Vancouver that's only gives 2 others metros over a million with in 400 sq mi radius of Seattle...... to add to that if we went 500,000 metros would just add Boise and Spokane. So 3 metros a million, plus 2 half million metros with in a 400 sq mi radius of Seattle including Seattle.

With 400 sq mi radius of Atlanta there Charlotte, Birmingham, Raleigh, Memphis, Jacksonville, Nashville, Orlando, Louisville ,.... than Tampa and New Orleans barely miss as they are less than 5 miles over the mark. To add to that is above more 500,000 metros. Chattanooga, Greenville, Augusta, Charleston. Greensboro, and Knoxville. So if did same with Atlanta that 9 metro over a million, with 6 other metro over a half a million with in 400 sq mi.

I don't know if you know this, The Southeast is one most dense and populated areas in the country, Not to mention Atlanta specific location. being an East Coast state Which East Coast states is over 1/3 the country alone. And Being on the piedmont. Did you know the Piedmont Atlanta to Raleigh there are 5 CSA's over a million that run into each other. Your mostly going City to Suburb to exurbs to Suburbs to city almost the whole way.

From
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...ed-states-2012
Actually Houston to Dallas is more like 3.5-4 hours, not 6-7 hours but your overall point is correct/I agree with. Atlanta doesnt feel isolated at all. You cant drive more than two hours without encountering another sizeable metro area in any direction.

This is basically true for the majority of the country east of 35. For example, it takes roughly 11 hours to get to Chicago from Atlanta by car, but before getting there you'd pass through Chattanooga, Nashville, Louisville, and Indy, which save for Chattanooga are all regions over 1 million people.

Seattle might be in the PNW and those cities share a similar culture and vibe, so it doesnt feel as isolated when there, but travel right outside it and you realize how far away you are from most of America. On the flip side, Atlanta feels close to old America and where the action is.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:24 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,110,114 times
Quote:
Like I said, I agree, Seattle is definitely isolated, way in the northwest. But I certainly felt pretty isolated in Atlanta, as well. None of the largest 20 US metros are anywhere remotely near Atlanta. You have to go down the list to #22 (Charlotte) before one is within 5 hours away (and just barely).

And, the same is true of Seattle. Yes, Atlanta has lots of small cities within a few hours of it, scattered all around the southeast, but you'd never really have any reason to go to most of them if you lived in Atlanta, being superior to them all.

Chicago is maybe a little less isolated, because it's the major Amtrak hub, in addition to an airport and interstate hub. It's fairly near Detroit, the 14th largest metro, and Minneapolis, the 16th.

And yes, the northeast is the one quadrant of the country that's not isolated. Over 50 million people live in the very well-connected Washington to Boston corridor, and that's projected to soon reach 60 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_megalopolis

Whether Atlanta is more isolated or not than Seattle is debatable, but the main relevant point is that Atlanta is isolated. The fact that it's only a 2.5 hour drive to Montgomery, and even smaller southern towns, is pretty irrelevant to most ATLiens.
1. You mention top 20 metros which is a weird line. because population starts to flatten. For example 15th largest metro is only 2 million larger the 35th Nashville. that's just as wide of a the gap as between Atlanta and Seattle. If fact gap between Atlanta 8th and Seattle is wider then 15th Seattle to 33rd Indianapolis is. "#22 (Charlotte)" is only 1.3 million smaller than Seattle. You can't dismiss metro just because aren't top 20 when population flattens the 20th metro is only a million larger than 38th.

2. Insulting take, You comparing smaller metros over a million surrounding Atlanta, to the nothingness surrounding Seattle as equative of isolations. It's not debatable Seattle is far more isolated, Atlanta is not. Now Whether or not you want to go doesn't change these places over a million exist.

3. Again the Southeast is one most populated and fastest growing regions in The Country. By 2030. Charlotte is going to be over 3 million, Raleigh over 2 millions. Greenville SC between Charlotte and Atlanta which is now 928,195 is going hit the 1 millions club with in next 5 year. The Funny thing Charleston SC is also likely to hit a million by 2030. SC is going to have two 1 million metro areas soon.

I put it like this in prospective GA, SC, NC, and FL 46 million could fit inside of Texas, It could almost fit inside of Cali. The South Atlantic is not isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta