Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:07 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I am not sure exactly what we are asking, but most private schools in the core of Atlanta and close in suburbs do pretty actively recruit minorities. There is even a private school fair targeted at minority parents.

Woodward Academy is one of the most diverse private schools in the country.

While Aries is correct as to wear wealthy African-Americans are clustered, the largest number is probably in S. DeKalb. DeKalb is the second wealthiest majority African American county in the country supposedly (to Montgomery County, MD). Anyway, there are a handful of private schools in S. DeKalb as well as some public school vehicles that operate like private schools called theme schools.

The problem for these families is that both these options end in elementary school and though there is a new theme middle school, it doesn't have the country club feel that the theme elementary schools have.

Up until recently, a motivate S. DeKalb family could easily get their kid into a N. DeKalb high school. And they did. But with the advent of NCLB and the end of various busing programs, it is much harder. (Spaces first have to go to the students whose schools consistently don't make AYP.) I know one S DeKalb family whose senior will soon graduate a N. DeKalb high school and whose younger high school student is headed to boarding school.
Prince Georges County, MD is actually the richest county with an African-American majority (which I assume you were trying to refer to). Like you said, DeKalb County is second (with the African-American wealth concentrated in South DeKalb, of course).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:12 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Absolutely -- what I was trying to refer to.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:42 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
If people live in good areas why would they pay for private school. I know a lot of people complain about the school system here in GA. But I was paying for private school in CA because the public schools were really bad even in the good parts of town. The school my daughter currently attends is EXCELLENT much better than the private school she went to.

My brother-n-law recently came for a visit and pays $16K a year for each of his kids to go to private school in CA and just couldn't believe the school my daughter attends (he said it was better than his kids school). So why pay for something when you don't have to? Also, I know a lot of people are into the homeschooling thing too.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:42 AM

239 posts, read 923,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
If people live in good areas why would they pay for private school.
This is because high income neighborhoods (for whatever reason) do not always equate to high performing schools. I'll leave it to those more knowledgeable than me to explain why this is.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Where are the statistics that prove that Atlanta has "more wealthy blacks than other U.S. cities." Atlanta may have more blacks, but I really am wondering if the percentage of blacks that are wealthy is that different from other cities.

Just because you see a lot of black people driving around in a mercedes does not mean they are wealthy. Does anyone have any facts to back up this generalization? Becuase it could explain why there are not many blacks in private schools.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:44 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times
@Bayarea girl, I specifically limited my question to 'elite' private schools. I don't think most good private schools are any better than good public schools, but it's my impression that the elite schools are. At least, that's been my observation. Of course, I'm probably biased since I have relatives working at two of the best. From what I've seen at those schools I doubt very seriously that even the best public schools could even begin to compare.

@BringBackCobain, I don't think it's a matter of seeing black people (or any other people) driving Mercedes that gives the impression that there are wealthy blacks here. After all, anyone with good credit can buy a car. I do know, however, that there are a lot of successful black business owners here. I know this from reading magazines and newspaper articles about them. This was the case when I lived here ten years ago and I doubt that much as changed. When you add in black celebrities of various types including sports figures and music stars, I would be hard-pressed to imagine that there is a higher concentration of blacks with money than here in Atlanta.

I'd suspected that geographical distribution had something to do with it. It's very interesting, though.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Considering Blacks make up 61% of Atlanta's population, I would say they are very underrepresented at only 15%.
Actually, blacks comprise about 35% of the metro Atlanta area, which is the more valid basis of comparison.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
@BringBackCobain, I don't think it's a matter of seeing black people (or any other people) driving Mercedes that gives the impression that there are wealthy blacks here. After all, anyone with good credit can buy a car. I do know, however, that there are a lot of successful black business owners here. I know this from reading magazines and newspaper articles about them. This was the case when I lived here ten years ago and I doubt that much as changed. When you add in black celebrities of various types including sports figures and music stars, I would be hard-pressed to imagine that there is a higher concentration of blacks with money than here in Atlanta.

I'd suspected that geographical distribution had something to do with it. It's very interesting, though.
You make some good points. I have often thought of Chicago as the place for wealthy blacks to live. Maybe because of the Cosby Show??? I dont know, its just my perception.

I went to Marist, which is about 6-8% black. The blacks that I was friends with often would complain about the commute from places like Cascade or Stone Mountian. The son of H.J. Russel, the builder/developer, was in my grade and we were friends. He used to commute from south Atlanta, until finally it was too much for him and he transferred to Riverside Military Academy.

Also, most blacks in Atlanta are not Catholic, which could explain in Marist's case why the percentage is lower than schools like Lovett (10%).

Thus from my own experience, the fact that the North Side is not heavily populated with blacks, and that most private schools are on the North Side, the commute/distance is the main factor in why there are not more blacks in the private schools.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times
Quote:
Maybe because of the Cosby Show??? I dont know, its just my perception.
I thought The Cosby Show took place in NYC?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:44 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I thought The Cosby Show took place in NYC?
The Cosby Show did take place in NYC...Brooklyn to be exact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta