Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:34 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,511,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter62 View Post
I have already rented a house in Inman Park. I told you I was great about Inam and Mary Lin..just couldn't get good consistent info about Grady. You can take it seriously or not. Wow. I am shocked. Thanks.
Well, painter62--

You're kind of coming off like a person that should've rented in East Cobb in the first place. Your rants are sensational--like someone that's just watched some late 80s/early 90s-esque Hollywood movie about an down and out urban high school.

Grady is a truly great high school. And believe me--from someone that knows about these things and is very familiar with schooling in the Northeast--Atlanta is extremely lucky to have a top-notch regular, non-exam public high school right in the middle of the city...with the option of also living in a bucolic, forested neighborhood.
Just ask the plethora of people in affluent neighborhoods like Ansley Park, Morningside, Midtown, Virginia-Highland, Lake Claire, and southern Druid Hills that send their kids there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 05:28 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,388 times
Quote:
If your kids are coming from a top high school in a very safe area outside of New York City, is Grady in that comfort level?
Quote:
When I moved to New York, it was hard to choose which village to live in because they were all so nice and all the schools were great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Well, painter62--

You're kind of coming off like a person that should've rented in East Cobb in the first place.
painter, I think aries put it a little strongly, but has a point. When I review what you've written on this thread, it seems you're expecting urban Atlanta to offer the same kind of school experience as the suburbs outside New York City.

If you wanted a similar experience to what you have outside New York, you truly should have planned to relocate to the equivalent areas around Atlanta - East Cobb, Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton, etc. Those suburbs, or at least substantial portions of them, have consistent upper-income suburban demographics, with all the characteristics that come with that, such as low crime and a very demographically uniform, high-achieving public school population. If that's what you really want, metro Atlanta has got it!

However, in the last decade or more, there's been a wave of gentrification in older residential areas nearer to the Atlanta core, which offer a lot of lifestyle advantages - and the property values there reflect that. But you can't expect the uniform upper-income suburban family type demographic in the public schools down there. By all accounts, Grady is doing a superb job of serving a diverse student population, and its high achievers are probably just as well served as the high achievers at the high-scoring high schools in the suburbs.

You'll have to make the choices that feel right to you.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:16 PM

213 posts, read 421,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
painter, I think aries put it a little strongly, but has a point. When I review what you've written on this thread, it seems you're expecting urban Atlanta to offer the same kind of school experience as the suburbs outside New York City.

If you wanted a similar experience to what you have outside New York, you truly should have planned to relocate to the equivalent areas around Atlanta - East Cobb, Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton, etc. Those suburbs, or at least substantial portions of them, have consistent upper-income suburban demographics, with all the characteristics that come with that, such as low crime and a very demographically uniform, high-achieving public school population. If that's what you really want, metro Atlanta has got it!

However, in the last decade or more, there's been a wave of gentrification in older residential areas nearer to the Atlanta core, which offer a lot of lifestyle advantages - and the property values there reflect that. But you can't expect the uniform upper-income suburban family type demographic in the public schools down there. By all accounts, Grady is doing a superb job of serving a diverse student population, and its high achievers are probably just as well served as the high achievers at the high-scoring high schools in the suburbs.

If this didnt sum everything up I dont know what else will

Old 05-25-2010, 06:36 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,297,930 times
Quote:
I quote from another site:
Dear fellow parents,

My son had attended a local private school (Paideia) for about 4 years when we decided the budget said it was time to try a public school. We were wrong. At this school being a... freshman of only five foot six my son was picked on and made immediate enemies with three different gangs of boys by refusing to buy weed. He was also threatened twice in his first three and a half weeks to be in a knife fight with some of the other hoodlum attendees. We had to pull him out after that. This is a unsafe school...

And....2 more....

I attend Grady High School and I am telling this to all viewers. Grady High School is TERRIBLE, someone was recently jumped with a bloody nose but didn't even call the ambulance to send this person to the hospital. I HATE, hate may be a strong word, but I HATE this school and I'm transferring out. Parents do not send your child to this school. The school safety DONT do their job. They are only worrying about making friends with the student. Tell you the truth I would want to make friend with student also because these student are RIDICULOUS. There were multiple times where school safety, deans, and teachers were injured by these student.

(other)
Mar 25, 2009
"From my experience as someone who lives and works in the neighborhood by Grady, I must say that Grady kids have no respect for the people, homes and cars near their school. They are disrespectful to neighborhood residents, hide their personal items on people's property, trespass, throw garbage cans, throw garbage, damage property, fight in the streets, disrespect the police.....I COULD GO ON. School safety needs to worry less about shmoozing and making friends with the students and do their jobs. If you send your child there....PLEASE make sure that they respect the neighborhood that they walk through."

This doesn't give you a warm, fuzzy feeling about Grady High School, now does it?
And where are the good high schools you speak of that are a easy commute to downtown Atlanta?

Not to be cantankerous, but I just feel that finding a good place to live with great schools, shouldn't really be this difficult. But, for some reason, it is in Atlanta. When I moved to New York, it was hard to choose which village to live in because they were all so nice and all the schools were great. I guess it is especially frustrating for me, because I am actually a southerner living in the NE who thought she wanted to come home. I am disappointed in what I find.... I guess I was hoping for more. :-(

These are the reviews for Grady High School in Brooklyn,NY!!!

H.S. 620 William E. Grady High School School Review

Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,375,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

These are the reviews for Grady High School in Brooklyn,NY!!!

H.S. 620 William E. Grady High School School Review
Oopsy- looks like someone needs to brush up on her Googling skills.....lol

Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
painter, I think aries put it a little strongly, but has a point...
Thanks...I guess.

You summed it up well.

But, I think the fact that she was actually reading comments about a
Grady High in Brooklyn, NY really brings it home (!). (Good sleuthing, capoeira.)

Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 PM

133 posts, read 629,355 times
Not sure where I found the other 2....and yes I could have made a mistake. (I actually saw the Brooklyn address and was trying to double check addresses when I read reviews.) But, the one about the knife, bullying, and weed were Atlanta. (notice they refer to Paideia.) I really wasn't trying to do anything but get information and hopefully hear from some Grady parents. If your children attend Grady, then please chime in. I was sitting here with a lease in my hands ready to sign and was freaking out about our move. Have you not ever worried about moving and what you might put your children through? This is a big decision, one that I know is very important to my kids. Not sure if I really deserved that. But, y'all seem to think I do. So, again, my apologies....I was just trying to understand what I might be dealing with down the road. Sorry I asked.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,658,434 times
Drugs and sex are commonplace at just about every ATlanta high school. Probably, to varying degrees, bullying is as well.

You have to make sure that you have instilled your values in your children. That is the best protection against behaviors you don't like. (And keep in mind that some parents don't disapprove of pot use and fooling around!)

I know many families that have children at Grady and they could all afford any private school in town. I hear very good things about the school.

Given that you already have a lease, move here, start school and go visit Grady yourself. I suspect you will be pleased.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 PM

102 posts, read 389,309 times
Grady's fine. There are lots of great kids there. If your kid will be in a lot of advanced classes, there will be no problem.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:30 AM

281 posts, read 617,289 times
Quote:

Translation:Grady is a decent school, but is still stuck with a bunch of thugs from the Fourth Ward who are violent and not interested in educating themselves. Unfortunately, gentrification stalled when the recession hit and they were able to avoid getting forced into Clayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta