Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:03 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
In which case, nobody would be "cut off" and a alternate road isn't needed.

And that evacuation was a different kind. That was the evacuation of private citizens, who were then on their own (nobody had to account for you afterwards).

If you're a school who has legal responsibility over minors, you can't just send them off on their merry way to wherever they want to go.

It is when there's spots at the school campus a quarter mile from the treeline.

Seriously, can you not tell the difference between evacuating houses 20 feet from trees and a major clear-cut campus 1/2 mile wide(which again, hopefully has the sprinkler systems that individual houses probably should but don't)?
My house was 1/2 mile from the fire, and we had lit embers being blown into our back yard. I still am amazed more houses weren't burned. I get what you are saying about a sort of natural fire stop, but that's not really how it works.

Sprinkler systems are triggered by heat, not by smoke. If it's hot enough for sprinkler systems to be triggered, it's not safe. Smoke is also a concern.

We got "lucky" because it happened on a weekend. If it happened 2 days later, kids would have been in school, including Steiner Ranch Elementary, which was right in the path until the wind shifted. There are plans for evacuations. Students will be bused to a safer location (most likely another school). My daughter was attending Steiner Ranch Elementary when it had to be evacuated due to a gas leak. I was amazed at how quickly they got them bused to another school. They would do the same in a fire situation, and I would assume they would evacuate them first.

I am amazed at how you know more about a meeting you didn't attend than someone who was there, and how you know more about a fire and evacuation than someone who was there.

You are against the road. Fine. I get that, I really do. But you really don't know more than everyone else on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 10:31 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

Sprinkler systems are triggered by heat, not by smoke. If it's hot enough for sprinkler systems to be triggered, it's not safe.
Uh, I'm talking about roof sprinkler systems.

Quote:
Smoke is also a concern.
So of course, you then take people out of the controlled environment of the school and put them outside and in vehicles.

Quote:
We got "lucky" because it happened on a weekend. If it happened 2 days later, kids would have been in school, including Steiner Ranch Elementary, which was right in the path until the wind shifted. There are plans for evacuations. Students will be bused to a safer location (most likely another school).
We're not talking about Steiner Ranch Elementary. We're talking about VHS and the other associated buildings on the campus complex + commercial which is 10X the size.

Quote:
My daughter was attending Steiner Ranch Elementary when it had to be evacuated due to a gas leak. I was amazed at how quickly they got them bused to another school. They would do the same in a fire situation, and I would assume they would evacuate them first.
Gas leak is one case where an evacuation would probably be called for, that's a good point. Of course, no worries about being "cut off" or needing an alternative route in that case either.

Who is "them first"?

Quote:
I am amazed at how you know more about a meeting you didn't attend than someone who was there, and how you know more about a fire and evacuation than someone who was there.
Was there? We're talking about the (hypothetical) evacuation of VHS (which has never occurred) and the case of that evacuation route being "cut off" (which has never occurred).

Quote:
You are against the road. Fine. I get that, I really do. But you really don't know more than everyone else on this issue.
Apparently just more than you.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:02 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
Quote:
Uh, I'm talking about roof sprinkler systems.

So of course, you then take people out of the controlled environment of the school and put them outside and in vehicles.

We're not talking about Steiner Ranch Elementary. We're talking about VHS and the other associated buildings on the campus complex + commercial which is 10X the size.

Gas leak is one case where an evacuation would probably be called for, that's a good point. Of course, no worries about being "cut off" or needing an alternative route in that case either.

Who is "them first"?

Was there? We're talking about the (hypothetical) evacuation of VHS (which has never occurred) and the case of that evacuation route being "cut off" (which has never occurred).

Apparently just more than you.
You're right. There's only 30 homes out here. Traffic isn't a problem. Don't know what anyone was thinking.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Because that "small road" (1 mile by >100 feet wide) permanently cuts off a large tract of the nature preserve from the rest of the preserve. It permanently destroys the tree canopy connection (which, granted, is barely there now, but still is) which means that the cut off section is no longer effectively part of the same preserve, which makes it useless for maintaining a stable species population.
This right here. Now, those of you who know how often Novacek and I agree on anything, take note of this.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
And if you look at the article, you will find out the real reason for the bridge isn't the wildlife, it's because "We would need to build a bridge over Bull Creek"

So it fails on two counts:

1) The wildlife won't know that they need to divert east 1/4 mile, go under a bridge, and then divert back. What, you expect them to read a sign?

2) A bridge will still interrupt the tree canopy (trees won't grow well under a bridge), which means the tract is cut off for the canopy-dwelling birds. Especially since the one spot where the break narrows from 100 feet to ~50 feet, is where there's less canopy naturally because there's a creek.
And again we agree! This has to be a sign of something!

Old 06-09-2017, 08:04 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
And if you look at the article, you will find out the real reason for the bridge isn't the wildlife, it's because "We would need to build a bridge over Bull Creek"

So it fails on two counts:

1) The wildlife won't know that they need to divert east 1/4 mile, go under a bridge, and then divert back. What, you expect them to read a sign?

2) A bridge will still interrupt the tree canopy (trees won't grow well under a bridge), which means the tract is cut off for the canopy-dwelling birds. Especially since the one spot where the break narrows from 100 feet to ~50 feet, is where there's less canopy naturally because there's a creek.
In Europe they have "tunnels" and "bridges" for animals along autobahns and autoroutes all the time and the animals manage to find a way to get to the other side. I doubt that animals in Europe are any smarter than here in America (although the people may be).

Old 06-09-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
In Europe they have "tunnels" and "bridges" for animals along autobahns and autoroutes all the time and the animals manage to find a way to get to the other side. I doubt that animals in Europe are any smarter than here in America (although the people may be).
And those "tunnels" and "bridges" are used by birds? You know, the type of animal under discussion here.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
And those "tunnels" and "bridges" are used by birds? You know, the type of animal under discussion here.
Can't a bird simply fly across a road?

Old 06-09-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Can't a bird simply fly across a road?
Not when they're canopy-dwelling species that don't venture that far out from the trees.

The position of Travis County is that if such a road is built, it would have to be mitigated by sufficient land to replace the entire cut off section "which will no longer be useful parts of the preserve".

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...-road-project/

Old 06-09-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Not when they're canopy-dwelling species that don't venture that far out from the trees.

The position of Travis County is that if such a road is built, it would have to be mitigated by sufficient land to replace the entire cut off section "which will no longer be useful parts of the preserve".

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...-road-project/
I wonder if they could build a tunnel under instead of a bridge over the creek and have the canopy extend on the grass above the tunnel. We're probably talking major $$ though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin