Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:13 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC16 View Post
So it fails on two counts:

1) The wildlife won't know that they need to divert east 1/4 mile, go under a bridge, and then divert back. What, you expect them to read a sign?

2) A bridge will still interrupt the tree canopy (trees won't grow well under a bridge), which means the tract is cut off for the canopy-dwelling birds. Especially since the one spot where the break narrows from 100 feet to ~50 feet, is where there's less canopy naturally because there's a creek.

Sorry but the safe, prompt evacuation of 3000 school kids from VHS and FPMS in the event of an emergency - which a second access road would facilitate - outweighs BY FAR the needs of a few confused birds and a broken tree canopy. Give me a break. I think the birds and bugs can figure it out.[/quote]

Let me add that the proposed road follows that path of an existing utility easement, so the tree canopy has already been interrupted by that. Again, if one has actually been to the property, you will see what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 07:24 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

Let me add that the proposed road follows that path of an existing utility easement, so the tree canopy has already been interrupted by that. Again, if one has actually been to the property, you will see what I mean.
So you've illegally been along the whole utility easement?

The tree cover along the easement is still there. Barely.

This is obvious in satellite photos. And is the judgement of the experts that include it as part of the reserve.

That's the difference between a few power lines and a 100 foot wide road.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:30 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:
[/i]

Sorry but the safe, prompt evacuation of 3000 school kids from VHS and FPMS in the event of an emergency - which a second access road would facilitate - outweighs BY FAR the needs of a few confused birds and a broken tree canopy. Give me a break. I think the birds and bugs can figure it out.

What she said.

The argument reminds me of the "confused" Golden Cheeked Warblers that were seen building a nest in a big box store neon sign over in Marble Falls years ago. Dumb boids don't know when to get a proper building permit.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
So you've illegally been along the whole utility easement?

The tree cover along the easement is still there. Barely.

This is obvious in satellite photos. And is the judgement of the experts that include it as part of the reserve.

That's the difference between a few power lines and a 100 foot wide road.
I don't disagree with this. What I'm saying is that it's not as disruptive as you are making it sound. I'm a warbler. I'm in a tree and need to move. There's no tree to the left of me, but there's still a tree in front of, behind, and to the right of me. Am I still able to move to another tree?

Old 06-12-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree with this. What I'm saying is that it's not as disruptive as you are making it sound. I'm a warbler. I'm in a tree and need to move. There's no tree to the left of me, but there's still a tree in front of, behind, and to the right of me. Am I still able to move to another tree?
But that's not the question. It's not whether a warbler can "move to another tree". It's whether warbler populations north of the road and south of the road can freely intermix, forming a viable population base for the species.

South of the road essentially becomes a entirely separate preserve, one which is insufficient to maintain a population (which makes it useless).

Old 06-12-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
But that's not the question. It's not whether a warbler can "move to another tree". It's whether warbler populations north of the road and south of the road can freely intermix, forming a viable population base for the species.

South of the road essentially becomes a entirely separate preserve, one which is insufficient to maintain a population (which makes it useless).
If the road were longer, I would agree. But it's not.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
If the road were longer, I would agree. But it's not.
?

It's long enough to _completely separate_ a large chunk of the preserve. It's as long as it needs to be to break things.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC16 View Post
Your right that's not the question...the question is what's more important: birds or kids. The answer ought to be obvious.
How about both.

We keep the preserve for the birds and the single road the school, which is still absolutely and completely safe.

If it's not, then LISD needs to stop sending kids there immediately! Think of the children!

Old 06-19-2017, 12:28 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,779 times
Quote:
[/i]

Sorry but the safe, prompt evacuation of 3000 school kids from VHS and FPMS in the event of an emergency - which a second access road would facilitate - outweighs BY FAR the needs of a few confused birds and a broken tree canopy.
What kind of emergency are you envisioning here exactly? Invasion? Is this a Red Dawn kind of evacuation?

A fire, and they'd just evacuate to the grounds . . .wait for the emergency trucks to arrive. I take it this isn't in any flood plain (surely LISD wouldn't build a damn school in a flood plain). What kind of emergency requires students to be rapidly evacuated to a remote area?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:23 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,837 times
Is this the kind of stuff people in wealthy suburbs worry about, the astronomically low risk of a wildfire cutting off access to the school so kids have to stay a few extra hours? Everything seems to revolve around fear in that subculture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin