Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:22 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times

Advertisements

Let me get this straight---you currently have a job in Michigan? That is, you said you currently work in Royal Oak? And you want to choose whether to move to Dallas, or perhaps Austin?

Do you realize what the unemployment situation is right now? Jobs are scarce everywhere, including Texas. My advice, get a job first, don't just come on down thinking you will find one wherever you want to live. Its not a matter of choice anymore, its a matter of survival. If you haven't been laid off yet, count yourself lucky and stay put!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:21 AM

29 posts, read 99,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by percula View Post
OK, thanks everyone. Here's another question....what are the nicer areas around northern Fort Worth? My wife and I drove around quite a bit and it seemed we had a very difficult time getting away from all of the power lines in the air.

Is there anything comparable to Frisco or McKinney on the FW side? We just like how clean it looks.

We would like an area that has a cute downtown, parks and a great school district in proximity to north fort worth.

Thanks
I would say look at Southlake, Grapevine, or Colleyville. I liked those areas when I lived up there.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 AM

362 posts, read 1,044,756 times
In and around Austin, I've yet to find a downtown quite like that of Royal Oak. Austin's downtown obviously dwarfs that of Royal Oak, but if you are looking for something similar to RO, you won't find it in the Austin suburbs.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:17 PM

9 posts, read 31,197 times
To clarify- yes. I currently live and work in metro-Detroit suburbs and work quite a bit. Being in SE Michigan, I am very aware of the economic times. I would not think of moving without solid job offers.

What are the equivalents of Frisco/McKinney or South Lake/Grapevine areas around Austin?

Old 05-28-2009, 05:39 PM

316 posts, read 877,365 times
Our situation is similar to that of OP.

Today my wife received an outstanding job offer (Physician, Family Practice). Have made two trips recently, and loved Austin. (San Antonio was our second choice.) So our family of four is moving to Austin too

Help requests:
1) Technology startup resources (am itching to start something!)
2) Home rental websites. This has probably been asked a zillion times, so apologies. Any pointers to the FAQ's or links gratefully accepted. We loved the Hill Country, but plan to rent for 6-9 months while getting a better feel for the area.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by percula View Post
To clarify- yes. I currently live and work in metro-Detroit suburbs and work quite a bit. Being in SE Michigan, I am very aware of the economic times. I would not think of moving without solid job offers.

What are the equivalents of Frisco/McKinney or South Lake/Grapevine areas around Austin?
Southlake and Grapevine are pretty similar to West Lake Hills in Austin.

There isn't really a great Frisco/McKinney equivalent in Austin yet. It will be Georgetown in a while but Georgetown hasn't gotten as big as Frisco yet. Round Rock is very much like Plano, but perhaps 5-10 years behind, just as Georgetown is probably 5-10 years away from being the next Frisco.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:08 AM

16 posts, read 41,752 times
Go to DFW it's better over there then in Austin. Austin is a lot of hype, cost of living too high for what they have to offer. Schools are not that great in Austin no matter which area you move too, and there is no transportation here, unless you call Cap-Metro transportation then your better off with a bike or scooter. San antonio, is better, has better transportation and schools, but again DFW offers more.
You have to be single and not have a care in the world to live in Austin, although being in the health profession might be good as Austin has the highest "obesity rate"
then most TX cities. It has it's Pro's and Con's
Good luck

Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarty View Post
Go to DFW it's better over there then in Austin. Austin is a lot of hype, cost of living too high for what they have to offer. Schools are not that great in Austin no matter which area you move too, and there is no transportation here, unless you call Cap-Metro transportation then your better off with a bike or scooter. San antonio, is better, has better transportation and schools, but again DFW offers more.
You have to be single and not have a care in the world to live in Austin, although being in the health profession might be good as Austin has the highest "obesity rate"
then most TX cities. It has it's Pro's and Con's
Good luck
MarMarty - you just like to make things up, in other words, lie, to make your point.

Just an example - Austin does not have the highest obesity rate of Texas cities. That unfortunate award goes to Houston. Then San Antonio.

A very recent Men's Fitness magazine ranked the fattest cities in the US and Austin didn't make the top 25. But Houston, El Paso, San Antonio, and Dallas all made the list.

Austin made the top 25 Fittest Cities list.

See for yourself:

2009 Fattest Cities in America - Men's Fitness
2009 Fattest Cities in America - Men's Fitness

Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Austin also made the top 10 fittest cities in this list from a couple of days ago:

The nation's capital is now a fitness capital, too - USATODAY.com

Texas as a whole doesn't do so well; the closest other city to Austin in terms of fitness is Dallas, waaay back at #35. Then San Antonio at #39, and Houston at #41 (out of 50 metros compared). San Antonio and Houston, unfortunately, often make the lists of most obese metros in the country, so their placement was no surprise.

Overall, Texas needs to do much better in terms of fitness and curbing obesity. But currently Austin has the lowest obesity rate and highest fitness rate, making it a good model for the other Texas cities in this regard.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:14 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph2 View Post
Our situation is similar to that of OP.

Today my wife received an outstanding job offer (Physician, Family Practice). Have made two trips recently, and loved Austin. (San Antonio was our second choice.) So our family of four is moving to Austin too

Help requests:
1) Technology startup resources (am itching to start something!)
2) Home rental websites. This has probably been asked a zillion times, so apologies. Any pointers to the FAQ's or links gratefully accepted. We loved the Hill Country, but plan to rent for 6-9 months while getting a better feel for the area.
AustinStartup
The above link might be useful for number 1. A friend of mine recommended an organization to get in touch with once we got here, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name and cannot find the email. Sorry about that. Also, I don't know the quality of the link I am submitting, I just pulled it up on a google search looking for the name of the recommended organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin