Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:05 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The thing with the USA a lot of people underestimate is that it is basically 50 different countries all with their own culture and heritage...

Myself when I complete the trip I am starting next thursday, I will have been to 47 states out of 50 and still have tons and tons to see. Really you could amuse yourself here in the USA for the rest of your life.
Oh, wow! Lucky you, wanneroo. You must post from your trip! But you would be forgiven if you didn't get much time to do so. I had the same "problem" on our last roadtrip through the Southwest. We were like kids in a lolly shop, couldn't get enough of the sights, up so early we saw deer crossing the road outside our motel in Salida! We were pleasantly exhausted at the end of every day and loved it. The plans of doing about 2 hours of hiking a day through the National and State Parks turned out to never be less than 4+ hours. Just didn't want to "take it easy", too much amazing landscape to explore. And we were fit enough to easily manage that.

Our Dream Holiday, would be to do what you're about to do - just meander through as much of the US as we possibly could. We're looking into doing that next year, for a few months, on our way to Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
That's why I always laugh at foreigners that come from tiny countries that mock Americans for not being big international travelers. We have too much already to see and do here.
Good point. The US offers so much to see and do, for every taste, and it is such good value. People shouldn't be faulted for the fact that they can't afford a European holiday with their family. There'd be no similar mocking of European families if they could only afford to travel within Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 06:02 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
That's a really good deal you got there, minibrings. Better than what we get here in Oz even. How'd you manage that? Is it just your company policy to give that amount of leave or did you negotiate it?

Well I'm not going to feel sorry for you, mini, coz that sounds like heaven. After 10 Christmases in the bright hot summer, I've long come to the conclusion that Chrissie's meant to be cold and snowy.
Financial services and large law firms on the east coast typically start people with 20 days minimum and a few personal days.

I was at Trader Joe's buying burritos today and thought of you. Want one?

In lieu of Oz this year, I'm going to chheck out a US holiday. I am missing 4 states -- both Dakotas, Montana and Alaska and alas all 4 are not conducive to holidays in the winter time!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:34 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I was at Trader Joe's buying burritos today and thought of you. Want one?!
Oooh yes! The Beef & Green Chile ones! And a big container of those Dark Chocolate Covered Cherries too. Oh and also a bottle of Grappa. So cheap there!

Quote:
In lieu of Oz this year, I'm going to chheck out a US holiday. I am missing 4 states -- both Dakotas, Montana and Alaska and alas all 4 are not conducive to holidays in the winter time!
Pick a warmer state that you wouldn't mind seeing again. There's a few I'd want to visit again and again. Have fun with whatever you do

Old 09-27-2009, 07:55 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Pick a warmer state that you wouldn't mind seeing again. There's a few I'd want to visit again and again. Have fun with whatever you do
I was checking out flights... A L O H A!!!

BTW I met up with a friend from Adelaide yesterday. She got an amazing SYD-JFK flight for under 900 USD! I was soo jealous. I'd brave flying United for that price!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:33 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,825 times
Quote:
I was checking out flights... A L O H A!!!

BTW I met up with a friend from Adelaide yesterday. She got an amazing SYD-JFK flight for under 900 USD! I was soo jealous. I'd brave flying United for that price!
Ooooh, xmas in Aloha-land..niiiice.

I guess with flying United it depends on a) your height and b) how badly you want to keep using your knees afterwards. Well, that's what I hear anyways. Me, I'm willing to pay the extra to secure an exit row for long hauls, which you can do now with qantas. My poor boy nearly went NUTSO when we were given bulkhead seats one time. (he's 6'3).

My understanding is, even with JetBlue and Delta in on the Pacific route, flights to the U.S are sky-rocketing next year. I dont care, I'm still coming back...I just....wont......eat.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:31 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
I've always wanted to visit Australia, and can understand people wanting to visit the USA. However I can understand dismissing the USA has a tourist destination. The same as I can understand there are people that dismiss it now as a country to immigrate to. I hope someday the USA can get itself back on the right road so to speak, but at times it seems to have had its day. With that said.

There is nothing like visiting the Grand Canyon in Arizona or the beautiful countryside, cities and towns of New England, or the sunny warm beaches of Florida. The Rocky mountains of Colorado also.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:34 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've always wanted to visit Australia, and can understand people wanting to visit the USA. However I can understand dismissing the USA has a tourist destination. The same as I can understand there are people that dismiss it now as a country to immigrate to. I hope someday the USA can get itself back on the right road so to speak, but at times it seems to have had its day. With that said.

There is nothing like visiting the Grand Canyon in Arizona or the beautiful countryside, cities and towns of New England, or the sunny warm beaches of Florida. The Rocky mountains of Colorado also.
I love visiting the U.S.A., and I travel there frequently.
I've recently dismissed it as a country to immigrate to because U.S. Immigration is not interested in people with my qualifications...
Too bad, I really enjoy the American South; it feels like my second home.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:17 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I love visiting the U.S.A., and I travel there frequently.
I've recently dismissed it as a country to immigrate to because U.S. Immigration is not interested in people with my qualifications...
Too bad, I really enjoy the American South; it feels like my second home.

The south is a very unique region of the USA. It has its good and bad traits like anywhere, but again it is unique and many simply cannot adjust to it. It is a region that has been getting many transplants from elsewhere in the country. I would think as time goes on the personality of the south will some how change abit. For example I think North Carolina isn't quite as southern in personality as it use to be. There has been a huge influx of Northern transplants and retirees to that state.

Truthfully I cannot imagine someone from Canada even considering immigrating to the USA. I have been to a number of provinces in my life, to not have noticed the huge difference in people and society there. When compared to the USA and all its troubles, I simply can't imagine leaving Canada for the USA. Maybe at one time I could but not any longer. Its not talked about much in this country, but I would say in the past decade many Americans would love to move to Canada. Life here has gotten way beyond out of control for many Americans, and they simply cannot provide for their health and well being here properly.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:17 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Anyone would be crazy to leave Europe for America (over Australia or Canada) today. They have much cleaner/ safer cities and don't have all the violent ethnic conflicts we do.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM

13 posts, read 28,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The south is a very unique region of the USA. It has its good and bad traits like anywhere, but again it is unique and many simply cannot adjust to it. It is a region that has been getting many transplants from elsewhere in the country. I would think as time goes on the personality of the south will some how change abit. For example I think North Carolina isn't quite as southern in personality as it use to be. There has been a huge influx of Northern transplants and retirees to that state.

Truthfully I cannot imagine someone from Canada even considering immigrating to the USA. I have been to a number of provinces in my life, to not have noticed the huge difference in people and society there. When compared to the USA and all its troubles, I simply can't imagine leaving Canada for the USA. Maybe at one time I could but not any longer. Its not talked about much in this country, but I would say in the past decade many Americans would love to move to Canada. Life here has gotten way beyond out of control for many Americans, and they simply cannot provide for their health and well being here properly.
My family and I are heading over to America next year. I can tell you I personally dont want to see any other country. Im so excited!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand