Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:02 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
What bizarre survey results! I agree with Melbourne getting accolades but not for its weather And then for little old paranoid-of-change, isolated Perth to be all the way up there with the likes of Melbourne and Vancouver ...

And Adelaide not far behind? I'm sure jacq63 is just as puzzled with that one as I am with the Perth result.
OMG a few of my friends that moved to Perth say the same thing about your city: "paranoid of change"! When are you heading back to Canada? Kingston, ON is lovely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 10:05 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
That's true

In 2004 Melbourne was voted 'Best City In The World To Live'
By a World Wide Survey conducted by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)
Melbourne 'world's top city' - National - www.theage.com.au

1= Melbourne
1= Vancouver
1= Vienna
4 Perth
5 Geneva
6= Adelaide
6= Brisbane
6= Copenhagen
6= Montreal
6= Oslo
6= Sydney
6= Zurich
13= Helsinki
13= Stockholm
13= Toronto

'Often derided as Bleak City by Sydneysiders, Melbourne topped a survey of 130 cities, narrowly beating out the other four Australian capitals surveyed - because its weather rated the best'

Maybe the people doing the survey are paranoid of "high-humidity."
I can imagine Perth probably gets periods of higher humidity,
especially since it's summer sea temp is 3-4 C warmer.

Look at those cities on the list...
None of them outside of Australia are from "warm climates."

For me, the Australian city with the best-overall climate could be Darwin, NT.
Only points it would lose from me would be if it's more likely to become flooded in "The Wet" than somewhere like Brisbane.
(Brisbane also gets flooding from time-to-time)

Old 10-05-2009, 04:41 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
OMG a few of my friends that moved to Perth say the same thing about your city: "paranoid of change"!!
To give you an example - supermarket near me introduced coin-return shopping trolleys. Something I'd used in Canada for ... ever. No problem. It lasted 2 weeks here. Too many complaints. Some people could not be convinced they weren't somehow paying for the trolleys. Others just didn't want it, period. So we're back to paying someone to fetch them from wherever the lazy cows leave them. I so love going to pull into a parking spot only to find a trolley in the middle of it!

For the same reason, I believe bottle deposits would not fly here either. So in the landfills they go. Or out the car window.

And then don't even bring up Daylight Savings! 6:30pm here, and dark already.

Quote:
When are you heading back to Canada? Kingston, ON is lovely!
Yes, very nice. Can't leave til late next year. Just in time for winter up there. May be some other city, not sure yet.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
To give you an example - supermarket near me introduced coin-return shopping trolleys. Something I'd used in Canada for ... ever. No problem. It lasted 2 weeks here. Too many complaints. Some people could not be convinced they weren't somehow paying for the trolleys. Others just didn't want it, period. So we're back to paying someone to fetch them from wherever the lazy cows leave them. I so love going to pull into a parking spot only to find a trolley in the middle of it!

For the same reason, I believe bottle deposits would not fly here either. So in the landfills they go. Or out the car window.

And then don't even bring up Daylight Savings! 6:30pm here, and dark already.
I've seen on a few websites that WA has had DST.
This link talks about WA using it on a trial basis, a few paragraphs down from the top.
Was that a state-wide trial?

South Australia Extends Daylight Saving in 2008–2009

Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Yes, very nice. Can't leave til late next year. Just in time for winter up there. May be some other city, not sure yet.
You're moving to Kingston ON?
Yes it is a pretty area, but I've noticed some strange attitudes among locals.
Passing through in company trucks, (a section of 401 was closed backed up, so we thought it'd be better to cut across Kingston) we tried asking several people for directions... Each person tried SO HARD to avoid eye-contact with us it was puzzling. We gave up trying to ask for directions and eventually found our own way back to the 401 on the other side of town. Perhaps that has to do with Kingston being the site of large prison(s)?

*The pretty side of Kingston comes from the "Trent-Severn Waterways" with broad marshlands and canals,
as well as the "Thousand Islands"/Lake Ontario and numerous historical buildings, including a British fort.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:49 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I've seen on a few websites that WA has had DST.
This link talks about WA using it on a trial basis, a few paragraphs down from the top.
Was that a state-wide trial?

South Australia Extends Daylight Saving in 2008–2009
Yes. The DST trial in WA was carried out state-wide for 3 years, but was recently defeated (for the 4th time).

Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
You're moving to Kingston ON?
Yes it is a pretty area, but I've noticed some strange attitudes among locals.
Passing through in company trucks, (a section of 401 was closed backed up, so we thought it'd be better to cut across Kingston) we tried asking several people for directions... Each person tried SO HARD to avoid eye-contact with us it was puzzling. We gave up trying to ask for directions and eventually found our own way back to the 401 on the other side of town. Perhaps that has to do with Kingston being the site of large prison(s)?
I've encountered the eye avoidance thing plenty of times in Toronto; I assumed they were practicing to be New Yorkers. LOL. Seriously, surprised you encountered it in Kingston. So Coldy, do you look like an ax murderer or something? (Im kidding!)

Sorry for off topic.

But to get back on topic, I think for a major Oz capital, MEL has the dreariest winter climate. And I don't count Hobart as a major city (too small). But dreary days means = sit in a cafe (and MEL has plenty) and enjoy a flat white. Yum.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I've encountered the eye avoidance thing plenty of times in Toronto; I assumed they were practicing to be New Yorkers. LOL. Seriously, surprised you encountered it in Kingston. So Coldy, do you look like an ax murderer or something? (Im kidding!)

Sorry for off topic.

But to get back on topic, I think for a major Oz capital, MEL has the dreariest winter climate. And I don't count Hobart as a major city (too small). But dreary days means = sit in a cafe (and MEL has plenty) and enjoy a flat white. Yum.
Many people say I kinda resemble Elijah Wood, (Frodo) so probably not.
I was with a co-worker that also was a decent-looking guy, girls often take a shine to him quickly.
He also thought it was bizarre how people wouldn't come up to us in our employer's pickup-truck.
Even in the GTA, helping lost people is usually one of the only excuses they will talk to strangers.

So Melbourne's winters are the main reason?
Canberra's winters (12/1 C) look far more harsh to me than Melbourne's winters. (13/5 C)

Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Many people say I kinda resemble Elijah Wood, (Frodo) so probably not.
I was with a co-worker that also was a decent-looking guy, girls often take a shine to him quickly.
He also thought it was bizarre how people wouldn't come up to us in our employer's pickup-truck.
Even in the GTA, helping lost people is usually one of the only excuses they will talk to strangers.

So Melbourne's winters are the main reason?
Canberra's winters (12/1 C) look far more harsh to me than Melbourne's winters. (13/5 C)
yeah but canberra only has about 350k people... and its not considered oe of the main population centres of Oz

Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,570 times
Quote:
I've heard that given as one of the main reasons why MEL's considered to be such an interesting city. The weather being less encouraging for outdoor activities, so they've created an environment more conducive to other things & a greater variety of things to do.

Perth's excellent if you're a very outdoorsy person, especially early in the morning. One of the main anti-DST reasons put forth is that people prefer getting up before 5am and rowing, swimming, cycling, etc. I have been out and about that early on occasion and the place is deserted, but apparently these early risers are out there. Somewhere. Being all fit and active, despite the physical attributes of many Perthlings being in direct contrast to what one would expect such vigorous people to look like.

I suppose if you're up that early being that active, you'll want to be hitting the sack early, so you don't mind the early darkness outside. So forget showing up at a restaurant at 8:45pm here. They're expecting you to be clearing out by then. Kitchen's closing. To bed with you, Perthling! After-movie coffee and cake with friends? Go home. Restaurants don't even want you for that. At least not in suburbia, which is 90% of Perth.

It's a strange place in many ways. Rather limiting. And if you can't adapt to that, you'll never be happy. So it's best to leave. As it won't change. No point in fighting it. It's just the way it is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand