Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 08:37 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times

Advertisements

A fantastic race. RBR is a great track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 10:14 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
WHAT?!?! Why did Verstappen not get a penalty from the stewards?! Even NASCAR would require a stop and go penalty for forcing somebody off a track. Are the stewards just tasked with seeing that Ferrari doesn't take first?

Old 07-01-2019, 05:22 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
WHAT?!?! Why did Verstappen not get a penalty from the stewards?! Even NASCAR would require a stop and go penalty for forcing somebody off a track. Are the stewards just tasked with seeing that Ferrari doesn't take first?

I think it was a racing incident as was Canada. IMO the stewards got one decision correct and that is to let racers race, too bad they got the other one completely wrong.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:26 AM

120 posts, read 65,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think it was a racing incident as was Canada. IMO the stewards got one decision correct and that is to let racers race, too bad they got the other one completely wrong.
Verstappen deliberately took a very wide line on the turn, leaving no room for the outside car. There was plenty of room inside for him.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:24 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
If I had to call out a reason Vettel got penalized and Verstappen didn't it would be - in the Vettel/Hamilton incident, if Hamilton hadn't taken action, Vettel would likely have put him (actually, likely both of them) in to a wall. In the Verstappen incident, LeClerc had to run wide but wasn't in danger of hitting something race-ending, although, like the previous incident, if LeClerc hadn't gone off track there would have been a collision.

Although, if the stewards are going to really crack down - as they have been - then Verstappen should have gotten a penalty. If (as I think is proper) Verstappen didn't deserve a penalty, then they are going to have to lighten up enforcement. As it stands now, no one knows for sure what is and is not a penalty.

I suspect there might be some in-depth discussion - if not at the break then definitely at the end of the season.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-01-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Oh It's Magic View Post
Verstappen deliberately took a very wide line on the turn, leaving no room for the outside car. There was plenty of room inside for him.

I'll confess to not having the patience to read the entire Byzantine F1 rule book but according to the commentators, both incidents violated the rules as written. Penalties for one incident and not the other is nonsense. And at least one video seemed to show Max with an awful lot of lock cranked in to the right to say he could've turned tighter.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
If I had to call out a reason Vettel got penalized and Verstappen didn't it would be - in the Vettel/Hamilton incident, if Hamilton hadn't taken action, Vettel would likely have put him (actually, likely both of them) in to a wall. In the Verstappen incident, LeClerc had to run wide but wasn't in danger of hitting something race-ending, although, like the previous incident, if LeClerc hadn't gone off track there would have been a collision.

Although, if the stewards are going to really crack down - as they have been - then Verstappen should have gotten a penalty. If (as I think is proper) Verstappen didn't deserve a penalty, then they are going to have to lighten up enforcement. As it stands now, no one knows for sure what is and is not a penalty.

I suspect there might be some in-depth discussion - if not at the break then definitely at the end of the season.

The result of open wheeled cars banging tires is unpredictable at best. But I agree, either both incidents (Canada and Austria) called for penalties or neither did. Personally, I believe both were simply hard racing and undeserving of penalties and have to wonder how much the flak over Canada influenced yesterday's decision.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Even NASCAR would require a stop and go penalty for forcing somebody off a track.
That’s just a silly comment. NASCAR recently raced at Sonoma and multiple cars were bumped, banged, and just plain run off the track. No penalties.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:29 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
That’s just a silly comment. NASCAR recently raced at Sonoma and multiple cars were bumped, banged, and just plain run off the track. No penalties.
No, it's not silly. Perhaps NASCAR is different now, but back when I used to watch, you couldn't just run cars off the track. Each car is entitled to a racing line when cars are side by side -- you can't just force a car off the track and then claim to simply be defending your line.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

But at least AFAIK, F1 hasn't taken race points away from a driver for something they said on the podium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing