Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:55 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,877,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
California Vehicle Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
just because a law is on the books doesn't mean that it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
one could just follow the traffic rules.
Codes, Laws, Rules
All of them are Philosophies !!!
Geesj, this is the 21st Century !! Get with it !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 12:04 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,098,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
A sheriff pulled me over once for doing 37 mph in a 35 mph zone and for a license plate light being out. This happend 15 mins after I had left home where I had a walk around my car checking all the lights working.

Anyway... as he started to write the ticket I walked behind his patrol unit and saw that his license plate bulb was also unlit and called it to his attention. He dropped the license bulb part and just wrote me for the 37 mph part. Still cost me a $15 fine at that point in time. What a waste and time.

I drive a black jeep and the windows are slightly tinted. I had my temp tag in the window and this cop who had nothing better to do with his time. Decided to pull me over one night when I was coming home from work.
He did shine his big A bright light in back of the jeep so know he saw my temps were still good.
He comes up to the window and asks for my licenses and registration thats it so I tell him first I want to know why I got pulled over.
This dumb A cop tells me I cant see your tag. So respond to him you shined your light on when you were in back of me driving so whats the problem. And he didnt like that so had an attitude and said I need to be able to see it.
I got tired of his excuses for pulling me over and told him well if you just look at it you can see its still good.
Then the cop realized he didnt ask for my insurance and asked me where is my insurance and I told him well you didnt ask for it and if you would have, I would have gave it to you. So I was looking in the glove compt for my insurance and at the same time shaking my head mumbling real loud wasting my time, wasting my time....

Old 09-02-2010, 12:07 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,554,784 times
Arlington Heights, OH is a small suburb just North of Cincinnati. About a mile of I-75 runs through it. I run up and down I-75 2-4 times a day and rarely go through there without seeing at least one patrol car. Sometimes I see two.

Anyway, one morning just past 2 a.m. I see a car on the shoulder, with a couple changing a flat tire. Hidden BEHIND the car was an officer shooting radar! Now, granted, the shoulder was reasonably wide there, but he still could've provided the lights to warn drivers away from them. So much for "Protect & Serve"...

Old 09-02-2010, 12:09 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,953,154 times
Quote:
I know this is crazy talk - but one could just follow the traffic rules.
maybe if there were more reasonable rules that were in place for a more legitimate reason than to stuff the agency coffers, then we would be all good.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:35 PM

513 posts, read 542,534 times
Quote:
maybe if there were more reasonable rules that were in place for a more legitimate reason than to stuff the agency coffers, then we would be all good.
What would be the "more reasonable rules"??

Sorry - but that just seems like code for "Do any damn thing I please" and we already have that out on the road!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
What would be the "more reasonable rules"??

Sorry - but that just seems like code for "Do any damn thing I please" and we already have that out on the road!
I would be happy with an 80 mph speed limit on the freeway that cops could enforce as strictly as they want. At least that way, the road would demand enough attention to completely discourage texting while driving, putting on makeup while driving, and other stupid $#!t drivers do.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,630,553 times
Quote:
I would be happy with an 80 mph speed limit on the freeway that cops could enforce as strictly as they want. At least that way, the road would demand enough attention to completely discourage texting while driving, putting on makeup while driving, and other stupid $#!t drivers do.
Americans do not have the training or awareness to safely execute those speeds. All you would see is people doing 80 while texting, etc. Then people would complain about being cited for 81mph.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:02 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,892,884 times
If the limit was eighty, then people would want to do ninety. Nothing would change.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Americans do not have the training or awareness to safely execute those speeds. All you would see is people doing 80 while texting, etc. Then people would complain about being cited for 81mph.
I would make the texting while driving citation more expensive than the speeding citation. People would have to adjust to driving 75-80 in order not to get caught, but come to think of it, more leeway should be given on rural freeways; maybe start ticketing after 90 mph, but the fine would still be like $5-10 for every mph over 80.

And it goes without saying that Americans need more rigorous driver training.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
If the limit was eighty, then people would want to do ninety. Nothing would change.
Not really. There was a study that revealed that above 70 mph, people don't really drive that much faster as the speed limit increases. Most people would still stay below 80, so the only ones that would get caught are the true leadfoots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive