Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:39 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times

Advertisements

If you are in a lane and it is ending, you can stay in that lane to the merge point. Like an earlier poster said, use the zipper method of merging. That's what people do here, especially if traffic is backed up. At the end, or near it, you alternate. If everyone sits in one backed up lane with the lane that's ending empty, it only backs up traffic even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 05:35 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
you can get a ticket for an unsafe lane change if a cop sees you cut someone off

Define "cutting off". If there is space to fit in, then obviously I didn't cut someone off.

And even if I did, Dallas cops couldn't possibly less.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:41 AM

96 posts, read 210,045 times
Yes if BOTH LANES would drive at the correct speed, with proper distance between cars then the entire flow of traffic would be better. Instead *******s in one lane don't let the others merge in and traffic slows down.

If you are on an expressway you should be driving with 2 car spaces in front of you. All the people merging in need to do is drive at the same speed and traffic flows at the same speed and everyone is happy.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:02 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
I just let them in...whatever. It won't make a difference in my day.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:42 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
The solution is simple; Be courteous. If someone has their signal on and is trying to get over, let them over. It's called being a good person. So many of you like to play the "authority game" and giggle as you don't let the person in, well, giggle all you want because your the dick on the road that nobody likes

Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
The solution is simple; Be courteous. If someone has their signal on and is trying to get over, let them over. It's called being a good person. So many of you like to play the "authority game" and giggle as you don't let the person in, well, giggle all you want because your the dick on the road that nobody likes
So the person cutting into a long line of traffic is not a dick???

What then is the point of anyone but the first few cars staying in line,why not simply pull round the car in front,zoom up to the head of the line and put your signal on and get in?

Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So the person cutting into a long line of traffic is not a dick???

What then is the point of anyone but the first few cars staying in line,why not simply pull round the car in front,zoom up to the head of the line and put your signal on and get in?
I think it is different if the lane is ending and there is a merge vs. a situation where the lane isn't ending and somebody just comes up in a through lane and wants over. If the lane is ending and traffic is slow, stay in your lane to the merge point.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
What the hell difference does it make if someone gets ahead of you or behind you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
If they get ahead of me, there is a tow truck coming to pick up the bended metal that used to be their car. Behind? No problem. Curious, I have never had to bend their metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
I don't get any more rude on the road. I do it all the time. Screw waiting in queue. You can block the space in front of you but I will always find a gap somewhere up front

Big power, HUGE brakes, sticky tires, a chassis that is made/modified for handling, and years upon years upon years of driving experience in third world countries plus racing. I swoop in and shed the speed so quickly most of the time I wonder if those 14-inch rotors are glowing red.
You two have issues

Mr Vett, if you really have all that experience, you'd know the highway isn't the place to be driving like you're racing. That's why they built race tracks.

And why do you call your car a POS Piece Of Sht?

Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
In my city there are a few off ramps that are the primary access to particular towns and neighborhoods, these ramps back up daily with a line of cars exiting, sometimes for quite a distance, and every single day many rude motorists forces his/her way in, like it is his right to do so. I was stuck in one of these yesterday and was appalled at the aggressiveness of a few vehicles doing this, actually making the other car have to move away to avoid contact. I was even more pissed at the cars correctly in the queue for allowing it, as if they felt they would somehow be at fault if contact were made.

I never would allow it, I'm right on the bumper of the car ahead of me and just ignore a car or truck trying to force me off the road just because they have their signal on, I wont move over an inch. Every single one of this idiots does this every day, its not like they accidently missed the off ramp, they know and they just count on wimps to let them in. I'm not talking about a high traffic situation where people need to merge on and off a road and it is a logical boy/girl sequence, I will absolutely follow that.

You are not required to let someone do this! It will completely be the fault of the other motorist trying to cut the queue- Hummer or not- don't do it!
You idiots know who you are. Make 'em sit on the side of the lane stuck behind a concrete median with their signal on helplessly and yelling at us for being mean by not letting them get their way!? Take pictures or quickly tape the other car trying to force his way in with your mobile for evidence.

I'm the guy who will always stop a car length or more to allow someone out of a lot or side street as I approach traffic at a stop light, and if you are signaling to change lanes I'll adjust my speed to allow you to do so. But don't push it!
Being from the east coast (Orlando, FL) we take the attitude of ME FIRST! I borught that mentality with me when I moved to Las Vegas 6 months ago. I never let anybody in. Im actually a nice guy, but Im a real prick on the road

Old 12-12-2010, 09:32 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Being from the east coast (Orlando, FL) we take the attitude of ME FIRST! I borught that mentality with me when I moved to Las Vegas 6 months ago. I never let anybody in. Im actually a nice guy, but Im a real prick on the road
That is why the USA cannot have autobahns or high speed roads,because there are too many people who don't CARE that the fast lane is for faster traffic...

Actually,this is pretty much why the USA is sinking down into medicrity on all fronts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive